PDA

View Full Version : what to do

downhill
05-10-2006, 20:28
i was talking to some of my buddies and they told me they were "in" to backpacking and weve been planning a hike and they come up to me with no packs and giant propane stoves. i've dove in over my head. help! what do i tell them to buy and to prepare for? they all need a fresh gear makeover with a budget of like 100 dollars or less.

thanks for your input
downhill

Roland
05-10-2006, 20:31
Start with a few day hikes. That will be a reality check for your inexperienced buddies. They'll quickly see that it's not all "downhill".

Just Jeff
05-10-2006, 20:34
Um...let them know they're your dayhiking friends.

Otherwise, get them an alcohol stove, a K-Mart greasepot, a Walmart daypack, a Walmart CCF pad, and a big poncho. If they don't have a sleeping bag and you can't make a quilt...um...you're kinda stuck with a Coleman or something at that price range! Just make sure it fits in the daypack! And don't forget a trash bag liner.

SGTdirtman
05-10-2006, 21:25
When you bring new people hiking you have 2 problems. First they will not be properly prepared and second if they arent properly prepared they will not have fun and may not want to do it again. So you have to take some kind of command and even if it makes you seem like a jerk, give them plans and a packing list. Its your job to make them have fun, consider it your mission to ensure fun. You are the fun police and must act accordingly. A little self sacrifice is usually required to get your friends to have a good first trip.

I've taken a few new people hiking this year and even though we experienced bad weather I got some smiles and everyone had fun. First timers dont need to buy super expensive high tech gear. A cheap slumberjack sleeping bag can be bought for 30-40 bucks. You can carry a larger tent and share, or have them buy solo tents like a eureka solitare which you can get for like 50 bucks on ebay. and for a pack I dont know whats "cheap" but you can get medium alice packs for like 50 bucks online and they suck but perfectly fine for a first timer. everything else is nickle and dime stuff, water can be carried in plastic bottles. I'm sure they have clothes. and you only need one stove if your going in a group.

Figure out what you have that can be lent to your friends or shared between you, and make them a packing list. I took 3 new guys hiking this year and I even took them food shopping and showed them the best foods to buy.

Another thing, Take them to a place you've been before. Its good if you know where you are and can act as a strong leader in every aspect. If you dont know what the heak is going on, get them lost, overhike them, they will get mad, scared, upset and have a bad time. And wont want to hike with you again. A few "training missions" and they will be self suffecient and you'll have a great time.

LIhikers
05-10-2006, 22:16
Help them find some place to rent the gear they need.

JJB
05-10-2006, 22:31
The EMS in my area rents. So I would imagine that they all do.

Gray Blazer
05-11-2006, 14:20
If they don't have the equip by the time you hike, set up a base camp somwhere near a road and do day hikes like Roland says. BTW, where is Saco?

Lilred
05-11-2006, 17:49
REI Rents if there's one near you.

Mr. Clean
05-11-2006, 17:55
Dayhikes from a basecamp sounds like a good idea. They gotta have some gear iffn they are going to make it in the Whites. You could all cook off your new stove, but packs/pads/bags/warm clothes are key to having any fun. The other good idea is doing a hike you know already. I can remember some fun ones.:sun

hobbit
05-12-2006, 10:46
thanks guys. and saco is near kennebunk,portland. can't miss it from the pike

lobster
05-12-2006, 12:05
next to Biddeford!