PDA

View Full Version : where to go?

simon
05-11-2006, 16:03
I'm looking for advice. I have a week at the end of May and want to hike. What would you suggest? Are the black flies or mud to bad to hike those areas? I am leaving from PA. but willing to drive.

sparky2000
05-11-2006, 16:30
Suggest as much of NJ as you can cover in a week from the Delaware Water Gap north. Excellent views and interesting stopping points.

simon
05-12-2006, 18:32
No one else have an opinion on where to go?

K0OPG
05-13-2006, 14:41
:eek: Amazing no one has an opinion on this. I figured it would be loaded by now.

I am planning my flip-flop for next year and I don't know how much of the trail you have already hiked or were you live, but it takes about 10 days to hike from Waynesboro, VA to Harpers Ferry, WV, give or take some. That might be good for you.

No matter what anyone suggests, do what you feel like doing and hike your own hike. HAVE FUN!

Good luck and be careful out there.

teaspoon
05-21-2006, 09:22
the smoky mtns gatlinberg,tenn,nice hike great views

Just Jeff
05-21-2006, 09:44
I've only done an overnighter up there, but I'll second the suggestion for the NJ section - Sunfish Pond north was awesome...it even made Backpacker magazine's best hikes a few years ago.

MOWGLI
05-21-2006, 09:46
I'd vote for the Smokies - after living along the NY/NJ border for 41 years. The Kittatinny Ridge is very nice - just like Jeff says - but the Smokies are a horse of a different color.

Rain Man
05-21-2006, 10:13
Well, the Smokies would be a good hike, if you like people perhaps more than solitude.

Or, why not just start at Springer and hike north for a week?

Either of these would also let you tick two famous hikes off your life list. :)

And don't think May in the south will be hot. Up in the mountains, it can be downright chilly sometimes.

Rain:sunMan

P.S. And of course, there are the Whites, and Maine.

Happy
05-23-2006, 01:57
As Rainman suggested, why not start at Springer and go north, and track your miles from that location in the future...I have gotten very cold in mid-may in the north georgia mountains.