PDA

View Full Version : Flip-Flop thru hike

K0OPG
05-11-2006, 18:22
:confused: Has anyone done a flip-flop from Harpers Ferry south to Springer and then back to Harpers Ferry north to Katahdin.

I would like to corresond with someone that has done this so I can get an idea of what the logistics will be and the weather/start date and so on.

Thanks for your support.

Sly
05-11-2006, 19:49
Haven't done it myself but, if I were, I'd probably start March 1st with hopes of getting to Springer by mid May, and finish at Katahdin not later than mid October.

With ample amount of days off, about a 15 mile per day average overall...

brian
05-11-2006, 20:49
Oh man, I saw this title and though you wanted to thru in flip flops, and after reading Sly's post, I was amazed! But then I caught on to what you actually meant.

Brian

Green Bean
05-11-2006, 21:50
WOW!! I was thinking the same brian. LOL. hiking in flip-flops would be over the edge insane I could see someone doing it in sandles though the kind with the strap around the heal ~GB

sunlike_lady
05-12-2006, 05:41
WOW!! I was thinking the same brian. LOL. hiking in flip-flops would be over the edge insane I could see someone doing it in sandles though the kind with the strap around the heal ~GB

i thought the same :) ..

but who knows, maybe there is anyone extremist enough to go hiking in flip-flops.... would like to see that :D

Sly
05-12-2006, 08:18
LOL.. now that I re-read the question, Coopdog may want to hike south then catch a ride back to Harpers to hike north, not hike all the way.

Has it been done? Probably, and if I'm not mistaken the ATC suggests such hikes to relieve stress and impact to the trail from the number of northbounders. Either way it would help.

Peaks
05-12-2006, 09:21
Well, I started at Harpers Ferry in late May and went north, and then the next spring leap frogged to Springer. Worked for me!

RadioFreq
05-12-2006, 11:52
Okay, so would someone who yoyos the AT in flip flops be a yoyo? :-?

K0OPG
05-12-2006, 17:51
Thanks Peaks.

I sent you a personnel email.

max patch
05-12-2006, 18:02
Oh man, I saw this title and though you wanted to thru in flip flops, and after reading Sly's post, I was amazed! But then I caught on to what you actually meant.

Brian

Easy enough to understand your confusion inasmuch as a flip flop by definition isn't a thru hike, i.e., point to point.

K0OPG
05-12-2006, 18:19
IMO, if one does the miles - it a thru hike.

Sly
05-12-2006, 23:07

Try not to take the uber purist too seriously. Enjoy your hike.

ARambler
05-13-2006, 00:23

And to be official, it can be in any 12 month period. I was considering hiking the Horseshoe trail from Valley Forge to the AT north of Duncannon, PA. Then I would do an all southbound flip flop starting mid September going south and starting again in mid June at Katahdin. I would not look forward to hiking the Horseshoe Trail twice. In fact, I'm not sure what is good about this idea. At least it would get some snide remarks on WB.

Let me know if you find something that works.
Rambler

Panzer1
05-13-2006, 00:51
The last time I hiked the Horse Shoe Trail it was covered with Horse Crap. You have to watch where you walk and get your water. It kind of turned me off.

Panzer

K0OPG
05-13-2006, 14:15
:confused: If I plan a flip-flop; when would be a good time to start from Harpers Ferry? Is March too soon and would the businesses be open in SNP that time of year? Man I have alot of questions on this.

I just started planning my stops and mileage and resupplys and geez is it daunting. ??Can i make that many miles, will anything be open, will i be able to get rides, will i be able to resupply within snp and if not how much food do i carry?? It's driving me crazy:datz !!!

Thanks for any advice anyone passes on.

Sly
05-13-2006, 14:54
I doubt much will be open in the SNP in March, maybe not even Skyland Drive. That said, it very well may a great time to hike through the park with few crowds. Plan to carry 7 days of food.

I'd imagine, starting from Harpers Ferry south is very much like starting the same time at Springer.

Amigi'sLastStand
05-25-2006, 18:17
Dang, I was looking for advice on the best flip-flops to buy to thru hike in. This is about walking the trail in two parts. Bunch of horsesh...

K0OPG
05-26-2006, 11:15
I will try and be a little more specific (i.e. lower the reading level) in my titles from now on. How could "flip-flop thruhike" be so hard to understand? An adjective and a noun. sounds simple to me.

However, it didn't say "flip-flops FOR a thruhike" or "WEARING flip-flops on a thruhike" or "flipflop(S) at all. Not a noun but an adjective.

swede
05-30-2006, 21:01
I've thought about a flip flop hike going north from Harper's Ferry and returning to complete the thru south to Springer. My thinking is a later start; following Spring north, and missing some of the summer heat going south. There is no time constraint to summit Springer, although the high altitudes in October in the South can rival early spring weather patterns NOBO's experience. Skip most of the crowds also. This of course after celebrating my daughter's college graduation in '08, thank gawd. FREEDOM!

K0OPG
05-31-2006, 12:57
Swede,

I thought of that too (going north first) fut I just have to finish on Katahdin. I think finishing on springer would be anticlimatic and having Kathadin in the middle would take away from the allure of it. IF I get to leave next year, I'll let you know how this flip-flop plan works out.

another reason I plan on going south and then back to harpers ferry is so I can take some time off and be a my son's graduation. I live about 3 hours from HF. Take a short break and then get back at it.

good luck to you and your daughter.

boarstone
05-31-2006, 14:31
Look up on www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) and look for alternative intineraries. There is 6 or so differant ways to do the trail. Leapfrog and Cool Breeze are two that are listed that fall into your question. These are taken from actual case studies of people who have done them. Hope this helps.:)

Grampie
06-01-2006, 09:33
During my 2001 hike I flip-floped. If I had it to do over I would not do that again.
My hike started as an conventional thru. Start south and hike north. As I hiked north I was not making the required daily milage to get to Springer before Oct 15. I decided to flip to Katahdin from Duncanon, PA. I finished my hike in Duncanon on Oct. 12.
The reason I wouldn't do it again is that you hike with a lot of great folks, and when you flip you leave them all behind. Second: Not to finish a six month hike on Katahdin is giving up a great experience. Third: After Labor Day the amount of folks on the trail is quite low after the thru-hikers have passed. Some hikers may like that but, I spent the last three days of my hike without seeing anybody on the trail. Four: I finished my hike at the Doyle Hotel without anyone to celebrate with.
Hike your own hike and just keep in mind what I said.:-?

Programbo
06-10-2006, 08:19
It may be better to start out this way going north as you have a lot easier hiking right off instead of the instant big climbs of down south..From Harpers Ferry north all the way to..what?...Mass. the trail hardly gets above 2,000 feet...Good way to get in shape if you are starting out in less than ideal condition

Ridge
06-10-2006, 14:04
It may be better to start out this way going north as you have a lot easier hiking right off instead of the instant big climbs of down south..From Harpers Ferry north all the way to..what?...Mass. the trail hardly gets above 2,000 feet...Good way to get in shape if you are starting out in less than ideal condition

I agree, If more inexperienced hikers started at HF and traveled north, for a minimum of 500 miles, there would be many more successful completions than the traditional South to North way.

SawnieRobertson
06-10-2006, 16:19
There are all sorts of plans for handling the time/distance of hiking the entire trail. To me the only requirement is that one does it, every bit of it, even if the "route" looks like a pretzel. For some a flip flop is the only conceivable way to see it all before the snows come. I think the most satisfying plan would be to flip flop one way the first year and the opposite way the next, thus seeing it all from both directions. So, yes, I am the ultimate dreamer.