PDA

View Full Version : Crocs

Kor
05-11-2006, 19:20
I was wondering if anyone has any insight about Crocs vs. the cheaper version sold at Payless. Weight? Comfort? Support? Quality?

jcazz
05-11-2006, 20:14
The off brands are not as light or cushy.

TN_Hiker
05-12-2006, 08:44
I didn't want to shell out $30 for Crocs until I was sure I would like them. Gesh them things are UGLY, but sure are light and the Payless brand is comfortable. When they wear out, I will shell out the $ for the Crocs. If your on a tight budget go w/ the Payless otherwise I would suggest spend the extra funds and get the real thing. I have also been told that Payless doesn't carry the clog style Airwalk anymore. Don't know the validity of that.

LIhikers
05-12-2006, 09:25
I've never tried the Payless brand but I find my Crocs so comfortable that I wear them all the time at home and at work.

ssshh.. don't tell my boss cause I'm supposed to be in steel toed shoes :eek:

Jaybird
05-12-2006, 10:27
I was wondering if anyone has any insight about Crocs vs. the cheaper version sold at Payless. Weight? Comfort? Support? Quality?

i got a pair of WALDIES (before Crocs..the Originals) in Feb....buttons came off....tried to repair...TWICE...NO LUCK!

bought a pair of "knock-offs" @ WalMart for $7....been wearing them ever since...:D

jazilla
05-12-2006, 10:35
I have a pair of both and my payless ones where cheaper and are more comfortable. I was playing with my wifes godchild in the yard the other day in my payless, running in a full sprint around a Barbie Jeep didn't even faze them.

dla
05-12-2006, 10:39

Payless was selling a knockoff of Keen called Airwalk. $20. I've heard nothing but good about them. I don't know anything about a croc knockoff.

fivefour
05-12-2006, 15:50
i bought my "knock-offs" from walmart and they aren't as soft/pliable as actual crocs (esp. in cold weather) but for $7 i can't complain.

Ewker
05-12-2006, 15:53
i got a pair of WALDIES (before Crocs..the Originals) in Feb....buttons came off....tried to repair...TWICE...NO LUCK!

bought a pair of "knock-offs" @ WalMart for $7....been wearing them ever since...:D

waldies the original ones didn't have a heel strap. I had 2 pr and lost one pr on a hike :(

I have almost worn mine out. I wear they everywhere.

Wonder
05-12-2006, 15:58
I love my payless airwalks....light and comfortable.....just don't get too near a fire....the tend to get a bit marshmellow like

grrickar
05-12-2006, 19:06
Get the cheapies. Trust me, if you looks around you can find knock-off Crocs that are so close to the real thing that the only thing they don't have are the logos. I have a pair and compared them to my buddies, which are the real deal. Only the ankle straps are diff. The pattern on the sole, the design on the top of the shoe, the placement of the holes - everything else identical. The material even seems to be the same. $10 :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-12-2006, 20:16
I got a pair of Croc knock-offs from Payless that lace up like sneakers (http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Womens&Size=&SLC=WomensCasuals&BLC=WomensCasualsComfort&ItemCode=54052&DescriptiveColor=&Width=&Type=Adult&VTLC=&cm_id=colordropmenu) ($19.99). I love them. The only thing I may change is putting felt (like the kind on the bottom of fishing waders) on the soles so I'm a bit safer when crossing water.

Alligator
05-12-2006, 23:22
I always thought I had a pair of Waldies [no strap], but I'm not sure now. I bought a pair of these http://www.allheart.com/ahcc2000.html before Waldies were bought out. Anyway, these linked clogs are only $7.99. The pair I have say Rebound on the bottom and Made in Canada. I've had them several years now, but I only take them hiking as they are bufu ugly. They are comfortable though and weigh 10 oz for M8-9.

This stylish pair is autoclavable :eek:
http://www.allheart.com/calzuro.html.

There are other clog styles on this site, check here
http://www.allheart.com/nursematesshoes.html

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-12-2006, 23:30
Autoclaving - now there's a thought for getting the hiker funk outta my clothing and shoes.

Alligator
05-12-2006, 23:46
Autoclaving - now there's a thought for getting the hiker funk outta my clothing and shoes.Someone ought to put a pack size one in a laundromat in Millinocket:D .

Clark Fork
06-09-2006, 17:08
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_3888023

Part 2.

Here is a pricey alternative to Crocs. About the same weight but $90.00! REI should have them soon.

Mion Footwear (http://www.mionfootwear.com/)

Who buys this stuff? I guess it is the shoe for those who think you can't be too rich, too thin or have too many trail shoes.

Anyone want to go for the record or the Emeralda Marcos award for the most trail shoes in their closet? I just bought a second pair of Vasque's with gore tex linings and thought I was going overboard...

I am taking TEVA water shoes for my JMT trip this summer. Lot's of stream crossings due to snow pack. I don't have the firm footing in crocs. Any comments of stability when stream crossing in crocs or whatever you use.

Regards,

Clark Fork

Hana_Hanger
06-09-2006, 17:27
Our Wal-Mart is now carrying two kinds of the knock offs.
One runs apxo $8 rather hard and not as flexible as the Crocs.

The Second kind they are carrying run apxo $12 and so close to the Crocs I had a hard time telling the difference while walking in them.

I did notice they are not as wide in the foot box as the Crocs.
Since I have almost worn out 3 prs of Crocs...I am trying out the $12 pair.
Love my Crocs thou...so time will tell :D

Hana_Hanger
06-09-2006, 17:35
I am taking TEVA water shoes for my JMT trip this summer. Lot's of stream crossings due to snow pack. I don't have the firm footing in crocs. Any comments of stability when stream crossing in crocs or whatever you use.

Regards,

Clark Fork

I have hiked a lot in my Crocs....but in mud you will slip and slide.
Also just crossing tiny creeks I am glad I had my hiking poles. You MUST wear the back strap on the Crocs when fording for sure!

They do have a better back strap designed for fording and hiking you may want to look into if you choose to go with the Crocs over your water shoes.

Footslogger
06-09-2006, 17:47
They do have a better back strap designed for fording and hiking you may want to look into if you choose to go with the Crocs over your water shoes.
====================================
Waldies (pre-Crocs) were the only thing available during my thru in 2003 and they did not have heel straps. We had a lot of rain and most streams were high and running fast. What worked for me was to take smaller steps and keep the sole of the Waldie near the stream bed. I never lost one and am still using that pair of Waldies to this day.

'Slogger

Hana_Hanger
06-09-2006, 19:35
:D Now this is great to hear...for I really want to take mine for the JMT as well!

I

Hana_Hanger
06-09-2006, 19:41
oh darn forgot to add...the NEW "hydro" by Crocs looks interesting!
http://shop.crocs.com/pc-31-4-hydro.aspx?reqid=31&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

Pennsylvania Rose
06-13-2006, 10:07
I bought a pair of knockoffs at Target. I like some things about them - they're light; soft to walk on; when I wear them at the lake the sand kicks right out of the holes; they protect my toes better than aqua socks or sandals; and they make my feet float when I swim. However, I got a terrible blister on the top of my foot where the edge rubs and my husband got one on each foot where the strap connects to the shoe; my foot slides forward when I walk downhill; they're really slippery on rocks; and they make the bottoms of my feet sweat like crazy. The jury is still out for me. My husband gave his to one of the kids.

Ewker
06-13-2006, 10:57
A friend of mine just got through doing an 12 mile hike in the Smokies wearing them. Her boots gave her blisters so she used the crocs instead. She did wear socks while hiking in the crocs.

saimyoji
06-13-2006, 11:02
To increase traction on slippery rocks: Glue them to a sheet of velvet or artificial grass type material, cut around the sole of the shoe. Did this with my sneakers for years while exploring tide pools. Works great and costs next to nothing.

stoikurt
06-13-2006, 11:56
I bought a pair of Crocs late last summer and used them on a camping trip in early fall. I forgot and left them in the back of my pickup truck for a couple months. The exposure to the heat and elements caused them to shrink just enough to be uncomfortably tight.:( I have a new pair now :) but I'm not convinced for wearing them hiking:confused: and they are a little bulky for packing. I prefer my Teva Sandals as an alternate shoe and have hiked comfortably in them, though they are definitely heavier than Crocs.

Pacific Tortuga
06-13-2006, 12:15
I was shopping with my gal for a aloha style party and found a knock off pair with a sea turtle on them. I felt 15.00 was a good price and easy to identify as mine when I get on the trail next year. I hope they are at least half as good as everyone says they are.

hikerjohnd
06-13-2006, 14:35
and they are a little bulky for packing.
I absolutely love my crocs now that I cut the strap off the back. When I bought my first pair over a year ago, our dept secretary said they were the ugliest things she had ever seen. She now owns 2 pair and wears them to work regularly.

I do not, however, take mine backpacking anymore. They are just not as lightweight as I'd like and their bulk makes them a pain to pack. I may start packing a pair of flip flops, but for now I just use lightweight hiking shoes.

I have only met one person carrying a pair of knock-offs and he wouldn't wear them anymore. He said they were just not as comfortable as his old pair of Waldies and he planned to stop in the next town and pick up a new pair.

trippclark
06-13-2006, 15:36
Been wearing crocs and earlier Waldies for 3 or more years . . . 4 pairs now. Love 'em.

I see that they have a new style that may be even better suited for fording and for use on the trail . . .

http://tinyurl.com/r7moh

Ewker
06-13-2006, 15:53
I clip mine on to the back of my pack. No problem that way

fivefour
06-13-2006, 16:19
Been wearing crocs and earlier Waldies for 3 or more years . . . 4 pairs now. Love 'em.

I see that they have a new style that may be even better suited for fording and for use on the trail . . .

http://tinyurl.com/r7moh

hmmm ... wonder how much they weigh ?

chicote
06-22-2006, 10:34
I hiked about 20 miles in my crocs this summer over two days. Made me wish I didn't even bring my boots. They stick to wet rock really well (none of the rocks were slimy though). A little slippery on the sole when sweaty but a pair of socks can cure that.

bearbait2k4
06-22-2006, 10:39

I didn't think the original Waldies had buttons.

I love mine, but they are worn out. I'm afraid I'm going to have to grab another pair...does anyone sell the original waldies anymore without the heel strap?

I would say get the cheapies. If they wear out too easily, you're only out 10 bucks.

Alligator
06-22-2006, 11:05
I didn't think the original Waldies had buttons.

I love mine, but they are worn out. I'm afraid I'm going to have to grab another pair...does anyone sell the original waldies anymore without the heel strap?

I would say get the cheapies. If they wear out too easily, you're only out 10 bucks.See post #13. To repeat, I am uncertain if these are original Waldies, but they are comfortable and strapless. I may have typed the price in wrong, they are currently $8.99.

Ewker
06-22-2006, 11:07
I bought a pair of Holes at Trail Days for $ 10.00. I had heard way before I bought them that they were the ones who made the first waldies.

Fofer
06-22-2006, 12:11
I have a pair of crock and love them, I use them all the time on and off the trail. They feel soo good at the end of the day when you take your boots off, and they don't weigh very much. I would recomend them whole-heartedly to anyone, spend the money, they aren't just for hiking, you'll get your money's worth.

fivefour
06-22-2006, 12:52
has anyone seen a weight on the off-road crocs yet ?

The Solemates
06-22-2006, 13:50
i had no idea there were so many styles now. wow.

i still have my pair of original waldies (albeit the soles are worn through) that I still wear several times a week. they dont have the straps, and I dont think i would like that. i bought them when they first came out in like 2002 for like $12.

Alligator
06-22-2006, 13:57
i had no idea there were so many styles now. wow.

i still have my pair of original waldies (albeit the soles are worn through) that I still wear several times a week. they dont have the straps, and I dont think i would like that. i bought them when they first came out in like 2002 for like $12.Do me a favor when you get a chance. Check for any product name on the shoe.

The Solemates
06-22-2006, 15:03
Do me a favor when you get a chance. Check for any product name on the shoe.

the only thing anywhere on the shoe is on the sole bottom. it used to say "rebound" on the bottom of the sole, but now it is long worn off. My wife's still say "waldies" on the bottom, which hasnt worn off because she doesnt wear her's as much. On our thru a couple years ago we were trying to figure out why one says one thing and the other says another, but no clue. we went to an outfitter on the trail and only the XXL sizes said rebound, while all the others said waldies...so maybe it was size dependent. Both were bought at the same time around 2002 and both of the in-store packages said "waldies."

Alligator
06-22-2006, 15:33
Thanks. Mine say Rebound too, but were a M8-9. If anyone ever buys a set from the allheart link above, please let us know what the box and bottom sole say.

Shocker. I just did a search expecting nothing and came up with this link.
http://www.waldies.net/s.nl/sc.1/.f

Ewker were those holey soles?
http://www.holeys.com/

The history of these clogs would make for a good report for an MBA type.

The Solemates
06-22-2006, 15:40
Thanks. Mine say Rebound too, but were a M8-9. If anyone ever buys a set from the allheart link above, please let us know what the box and bottom sole say.

Shocker. I just did a search expecting nothing and came up with this link.
http://www.waldies.net/s.nl/sc.1/.f

Ewker were those holey soles?
http://www.holeys.com/

The history of these clogs would make for a good report for an MBA type.

back when we bought ours there were two colors: black and navy. now there are tons of colors offered from several companies.

Ewker
06-22-2006, 16:12
[quote=Alligator]Ewker were those holey soles?
http://www.holeys.com/[quote]

yeah that was them except mine has the holes in it. Some of theirs doesn't

Hana_Hanger
06-22-2006, 17:03
Just a hint on any pair you may get
I do NOT remove the straps...but barely ever use them.
Simply bring them forward onto the top of the Crocs.
Over here almost everyone wears them that way
we are so use to just slippers and want a quick exist
out of shoes etc...

To answer the weight of the crocs or similar styles most weigh between 9 to 11 oz. It would depend on the size they are. :)

Then if needed when fording you have the strap available for use. I still find them to slippery for using in water when it is mossy...but do still use them anyways. I just grab my poles a little tighter.
I also use the straps to attach them to my pack or scooter depending on where or what I am doing.

fivefour
06-23-2006, 09:08
strapless is so sexxy !

Ewker
06-23-2006, 09:16
Just a hint on any pair you may get
I do NOT remove the straps...but barely ever use them.
Simply bring them forward onto the top of the Crocs.
Over here almost everyone wears them that way
we are so use to just slippers and want a quick exist
out of shoes etc...
Then if needed when fording you have the strap available for use. I still find them to slippery for using in water when it is mossy...but do still use them anyways. I just grab my poles a little tighter.
I also use the straps to attach them to my pack or scooter depending on where or what I am doing.

yeah I agree with that. I had one of mine my waldies (no strap) come off during a stream crossing. Luckily they float and another person grab it before it got away

fivefour
06-23-2006, 12:51
just don't try scuba diving in them ... or your feet wind up over your head !

Footslogger
06-23-2006, 13:04
just don't try scuba diving in them ... or your feet wind up over your head !
===============================
Actually, I am a diver and take my Waldies on every trip. They make great boat shoes.

'Slogger

The Solemates
06-23-2006, 14:20
===============================
Actually, I am a diver and take my Waldies on every trip. They make great boat shoes.

'Slogger

but he is right, they are very bouyant.

Jaybird
06-23-2006, 14:55

i dont know about the CHEAPOs from PAYLESS (or other stores) but my WALDIES (i got as a present) tore apart on me the first week i wore them (strap came off..button fell out)..

i "gorilla-glued" them together after getting home from the trail...then the other strap fell off....i now...dont use the straps! hehehehehehe:D

trippclark
06-23-2006, 15:10
i dont know about the CHEAPOs from PAYLESS (or other stores) but my WALDIES (i got as a present) tore apart on me the first week i wore them (strap came off..button fell out)..

i "gorilla-glued" them together after getting home from the trail...then the other strap fell off....i now...dont use the straps! hehehehehehe:D

Jaybird,

That is odd. I've never seen or known of WALDIES that had a strap. All Waldies I have seen are strapless. I know that Crocs have straps and, I think, Holey Shoes are made with and without straps . . . hmm. Maybe they came out with a strap option just before they were bought out by Crocs. Interesting.

Tripp

Footslogger
06-23-2006, 20:45
but he is right, they are very bouyant.
=========================
Roger that ...and if you jump in the ocean with them on most likely they'll float right off your feet rather than cause your feel to float.

'Slogger

Ewker
06-24-2006, 00:10
Jaybird,

That is odd. I've never seen or known of WALDIES that had a strap. All Waldies I have seen are strapless. I know that Crocs have straps and, I think, Holey Shoes are made with and without straps . . . hmm. Maybe they came out with a strap option just before they were bought out by Crocs. Interesting.

Tripp

your right, the original waldies didn't have a strap. Crocs were the first with a strap