PDA

View Full Version : Bears in New Jersey

Speer Carrier
05-11-2006, 20:36
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/11/nyregion/11bears.html

This article brings to mind a theory held by a wild life expert here in Georgia. His theory is that in the past 15 years or so, since strict leash laws have gone into effect he has been called out to deal with wild life that never presented a problem years ago. He thinks that the absence of dogs running loose, particularly at night has resulted in bolder moves by animals like bears, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, etc. into suburban areas. He thinks that these animals have learned that food is readily available, with no predators to worry about.

I know, that I live in a suburb of Atlanta that can hardly be called rural. We have more office space within a mile than does downtown Atlanta. Yet, we have had foxes, bears, raccoons, possums, and coyotes spotted in our neighborhoods.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site, and I would be curious as to what others might think. By-the-way, this naturalist/wild life expert thinks that this phenomenon of leash laws has had more effect than loss of habitat.

MOWGLI
05-11-2006, 20:44
When I lived in the NY suburbs, this stuff happened occasionally. Only they rarely killed the bears back then. We just got excited, the newspaper would photograph the young wandering male bear, and then we'd all forget about it.

Today, bears are a threat to our national security. Or you'd think so anyway. I hear bears have our phone records. Lets kill 'em all!

SGTdirtman
05-11-2006, 21:16

This article brings to mind a theory held by a wild life expert here in Georgia. His theory is that in the past 15 years or so, since strict leash laws have gone into effect he has been called out to deal with wild life that never presented a problem years ago. He thinks that the absence of dogs running loose, particularly at night has resulted in bolder moves by animals like bears, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, etc. into suburban areas. He thinks that these animals have learned that food is readily available, with no predators to worry about.

I know, that I live in a suburb of Atlanta that can hardly be called rural. We have more office space within a mile than does downtown Atlanta. Yet, we have had foxes, bears, raccoons, possums, and coyotes spotted in our neighborhoods.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site, and I would be curious as to what others might think. By-the-way, this naturalist/wild life expert thinks that this phenomenon of leash laws has had more effect than loss of habitat.

First this guy has to be assuming that the majority of stray dogs become stray because they arent leashed. Most stray dogs I know of are ditched by owners or escape from backyards, not run away at the park because they didnt have a leash.

Second, leash laws arent followed by most people anyway.

Third, dog pounds, shelters, adoption centers are overwhelmed and packed across the country. Where is he getting figures from that theres a lack of stray dogs?

and last but not least, bear populations are rising in alot of areas. dogs certainly arent eating bears so they have nothing to do with this increase in numbers of bears. More bears need more food... hence you get bolder bears.

what a moron...

Speer Carrier
05-11-2006, 22:50
From what this guy said, he wasn't referring to strays, but to family dogs that at one time were let out at night to do their thing. This is Georgia, and when he talks 15-20 years ago the Atlanta area was much less sophisticated than now, and he was referring to areas of the northern suburbs of Atlanta that were quite rural then.

Maybe New Jersey is different, but in the community in which I live, I know of no one that lets a dog out unleashed. The norm is to see people walking dogs of all shapes and sizes, and cleaning up after them.

When I was growing up in Massachusetts, Ohio, and California, we always let our dogs out at night, and I never saw any wild animals. In the past two years I've seen more wild animals in our neighborhood, than I've seen in five years of hiking in the mountains (with the exception of wild boars)

I don't think the guy is a moron. I do think his theory is based on anecdotal evidence. But, any source one might want to check at least in this area would suggest that there have been more incidents of unlikely wild life showing up in what are virtually urban areas than at any time in the past.

saimyoji
05-11-2006, 23:13
The increased incidence of wild animals showing up in unlikely populated places is not linked to the lack of 'stray' domestic animals, but rather to man's encrouachment on their natural habitat. As we move further and further into their territory, I think we should expect to see more of them. And I think we should see them start to get more and more aggressive as they have less area to roam, less food, and increased stress.

I know when I get stressed I tend to get a little more aggressive. ;)

SGTdirtman
05-11-2006, 23:44
I just dont see how anyone could make arguments that the increase in bear problems has to do with anything other than the simple fact of human population destroying natural habitat.

Bears are begining to cope with urban enviroments, kinda like how squirrels can barely be considered a forest dwelling animal anymore. They are adapting and hence begin to increase in numbers. The more the numbers increase obviously the more contact they will be having with humans. And any contact with humans the bear will be deemed a threat. This is nothing new, its just a numbers game. and its a direct result of bear population and human development. Not your dog, Not a shift in animal behavor patterns.

If squirrels weighed 300 pounds there would be a media story everytime one robbed your bird feeder too. But we dont fear squirrels, but maybe we should. Afterall theres many more documented squirrel attacks per year than bear attacks.

Same thing happens with sharks, when shark attacks rise everyone wonders why. bans on shark hunting brings the numbers up. More people go to the beach each year. You throw more of both in the same puddle of water and the numbers of encounters goes up. Simple as that.

ed bell
05-11-2006, 23:45
I wish I could see an occasional black bear in my backyard, but that ain't gonna happen.

Tin Man
05-12-2006, 17:38
As populations grow without any controls, territories expand - humans as well as bears, coyotes, etc.

k-n
05-14-2006, 19:09
When I lived in the NY suburbs, this stuff happened occasionally. Only they rarely killed the bears back then. We just got excited, the newspaper would photograph the young wandering male bear, and then we'd all forget about it.

Today, bears are a threat to our national security. Or you'd think so anyway. I hear bears have our phone records. Lets kill 'em all!i think baloo would be disappointed to hear you say that.

KirkMcquest
05-14-2006, 19:17

Makes sense. I know indian villages always had alot of dogs around, maybe they knew something that we forgot.

SGTdirtman
05-14-2006, 19:33
Makes sense. I know indian villages always had alot of dogs around, maybe they knew something that we forgot.

Did you just compare indian villages to modern american cities? :confused: