PDA

View Full Version : Bear bag location

heyman62
05-12-2006, 13:02
Here in New England bears are making their presence known a lot lately. when we are hiking in a kknown bear area, how far from our tent should a food bag be hung. I mean obviously you don't hang it over a tent, but how far do you all keep your food from yourself at night?

Footslogger
05-12-2006, 13:09
Not sure there's a magic distance. I always try and create something I like to call the "Bearmuda Triangle". At the 3 points of the triangle are my tent, where I cook and where I hang my bear bag.

Notice I said "TRY". I would imagine the typical distance I use between points, when possible, is about 100 feet.

In 2003 I actually watched a bear walk into the campsite (at Hawk Mountain Shelter) and go straight for the bear bags (hanging on a cable). He next wandered over in front of the shelter where people had cooked dinner. After that he walked back in the woods.

With the exception of the people sleeping in the shelter, the tents were all scattered around (mostly to the rear of the shelter) and the bear showed no interest in them.

'Slogger

sliderule
05-12-2006, 13:19
Here in New England bears are making their presence known a lot lately. when we are hiking in a kknown bear area, how far from our tent should a food bag be hung. I mean obviously you don't hang it over a tent, but how far do you all keep your food from yourself at night?

The further the better. That way you don't get woke up in the middle of the night!!

A well-known canoe guide from the Boundry Waters leaves his food on the ground a few hundred feet downwind from camp. He feels that the bears don't so much smell the stored food but have come to associate food with campsites. So his theory is that the food cache is a lot safer if well away from camp.

Before a thousand people voice their disagreement, let me say that I am not personally recommending that you leave food on the ground. But the "away from camp" theory sounds good to me.

Fiddler
05-12-2006, 14:28
At least 100 feet, and if at some type of established campsite, on the other side of the trail where practical. Never heard it called the "Bearmuda Triangle" but I like to do my cooking (also eating and cleanup if practical) away from the camp and the hanging area.

hammock engineer
05-12-2006, 15:22
I have only done some hiking in bear country. But I read somewhere on WB that if they are bad to do your cooking before you get to where you are going to camp. That way you do not have any food smells.

Peaks
05-12-2006, 16:37
At least 100 feet, and if at some type of established campsite, on the other side of the trail where practical. Never heard it called the "Bearmuda Triangle" but I like to do my cooking (also eating and cleanup if practical) away from the camp and the hanging area.

It's a term used at Philmont Scout Ranch.

Footslogger
05-13-2006, 20:49
It's a term used at Philmont Scout Ranch.
=================================
Not certain that's the first place I heard it ...but yes, the rangers out at Philmont do use that term.

'Slogger

hobbit
05-13-2006, 21:37
yeah i do like 50 yards to hang but not to cook or eat??? and i've never been bothered all though one of the last overnights we went on there were bear prints all around our food bag and when my brother woke up for a pee break he said he definitley heard something big (no not a squirrel we know about the sounds in the woods thing) and when we got up sure enough there were bear prints...... maybe they don't bother us because we take our bathroom breaks about 20 yards from camp and try to go in diff spots every time. not sure if it thats the reason but good luck so far. ps we dump our grey water the same dist as a food bag....

downhill
06-19-2006, 09:55
just don't use something like your rain gear to get it into the tree. hobbit.

downhill

ARambler
06-19-2006, 11:23
Possibly a recommendation for overkill, but this site recommends 100 yds = 300 ft.
http://www.fs.fed.us/rl/wildlife/igbc/Safety/cwi/backcountry.htm

I think the point is that the bag should be very far away, don't plan on hearing the bear and chasing it away before it has a chance to give up.

Clearly, cooking far away from the tent is a good idea. I think Ethan Pond Shelter in NH was the only one where remote cooking was enforced at a shelter.
Rambler

Footslogger
06-19-2006, 11:56
===============================

100 feet or so is what you tend to see in book references on the subject. In actual practice though it varies quite a bit. Keep in mind that you're food is more likely to fall victim to minibears (chipmonks) than bears. Not that bears are not a concern but most of the food raids I have experienced, been witness to or heard of have been at the hands (paws) of chipmonks and/or mice.

That said ...I generall look out from my camp/tent site and try to spot a branch that "feels" sufficiently far enough away and will support the weight of my food bag at about 12 - 15 feet off the ground. Also, the spot where I hang my food is different from where I prepare/eat my meals.

'Slogger