PDA

View Full Version : National Park cutbacks

otterman
05-12-2006, 14:48
Our government dollars (not) at work.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2006-05-12-parks_x.htm

brpgsm
05-12-2006, 19:56
We can either have dividends and capital gains tax cuts, or functional National Parks.

Or maybe another way...we could have "Great Smoky Mountains National Park brought to you by Exxon-Mobile" the sign entering the park would read "Our new refinery south of Gatlinburg is now 14% pollution free!"

LIhikers
05-13-2006, 09:20
And I bet it's the same situation with most state, county, and local parks around the country. More people would rather spend an hour circling the parking lot of a local gym, looking for a parking space close to the entrance so that they can walk for 20 minutes on a tread mill, than would want to spend the day walking through the beauty and wonders of nature.

One day while talking to a friend he told me that he'd rather pay to work out in a gym than hike with us because the gym is airconditioned and he won't work up a sweat there. As long as most peple feel that way the governments, on all levels, will reflect that sentiment. That's why it's important to join your local trail clubs. The higher their membership the more sway they will have with the politicians.

Almost There
05-13-2006, 09:32
It sucks like a....oh, it just sucks

Cookerhiker
05-13-2006, 09:53
...Or maybe another way...we could have "Great Smoky Mountains National Park brought to you by Exxon-Mobile" the sign entering the park would read "Our new refinery south of Gatlinburg is now 14% pollution free!"

Unfortunately, what you may have intended as hyperbole is closer to reality than many think. Rep. Pombo of California introduced a bill which - in addition to requiring NPS to sell off some parks - would provide corporate sponsorship in national parks. After public outrage, he backed off and claimed that the egregious language was from a staffer (the classic technique of blaming underlings for something that goes awry). Read about it at http://www.sierraclub.org/pombo/factsheet.asp

Because national parks enjoy a broad measure of public support, most congressmen - even the most right wing - are cautious about undermining them. So instead, they rail about "big government" and taxes and fiscal responsibility. Any damage they do legislatively to the Parks will occur under the dark of night without public hearings just like they do for much of their special interest legislation.

But make no mistake about it: the right wing think-tanks who provide the intellectual if not financial support for the Republicans don't give a damn about national parks. If anything, they're highly resentful of a federal program with dedicated i.e. pro-environmental employees which the public supports. Remember Grover Norquist's famous dictum that he wants the federal government reduced small enough to flush down the toilet. And remember who the right-wingers in Congress owe their allegiance (and their souls) to.

brpgsm
05-13-2006, 13:21
Unfortunately, what you may have intended as hyperbole is closer to reality than many think. Rep. Pombo of California introduced a bill which - in addition to requiring NPS to sell off some parks - would provide corporate sponsorship in national parks. After public outrage, he backed off and claimed that the egregious language was from a staffer (the classic technique of blaming underlings for something that goes awry). Read about it at http://www.sierraclub.org/pombo/factsheet.asp

Good link, thanks!!

colbys
05-13-2006, 17:04
i read that article in the usa today yesterday and im so sick of the condition of the parks.in 2004 i quit my job with my girlfriend and we travelled by car all over the us for 4 months and i managed to get to quite a few of the national parks and monuments and id have to agree with the article.i cant count how many of the places of the park system i went to that had 60 year old buildings with windows broken out,over running septic tanks from the 30s still being used,no rangers to talk to kids due to cutbacks,closed down visitor centers,closed campgrounds,and heck you name it.really sad.
im not a politcal person at all,but when mid term elections coming up maybe we can get some folks that really care about the parks and what they mean to alot of people.stop spending billions on a unjust bullcrap murderous war and maybe put some more money into the parks with some of those funds.
there i said it ,i feel better.one mans opionion...im sure people here will fel different about what i said comparing war and national parks,but had to make a point..

Deerleg
05-14-2006, 07:18
We can either have dividends and capital gains tax cuts, or functional National Parks.

Or maybe another way...we could have "Great Smoky Mountains National Park brought to you by Exxon-Mobile" the sign entering the park would read "Our new refinery south of Gatlinburg is now 14% pollution free!"

I don't know weather our government will ever do a very good job of funneling $'s to our parks regardless of who is calling the shots. Truth is, in part any way, many large corporations are good stewards of our parks, don't know about Exxon, but I do know that Bridgestone, the co. I work for has a large trust fund and has given large sums to preserve and expand public lands. Many trail clubs and other groups that are concerned about our recreational lands depend on corporate sponsorship to support their efforts. Additionally, Exxon, Bridgestone, Ford, Chase, Prax Air, GE, Home Depot Penn Power, just to name a few are filled with individuals like you and I that are concerned too and give time and resources to make a difference.

BlackCloud
05-15-2006, 10:34
And I bet it's the same situation with most state, county, and local parks around the country. More people would rather spend an hour circling the parking lot of a local gym, looking for a parking space close to the entrance so that they can walk for 20 minutes on a tread mill, than would want to spend the day walking through the beauty and wonders of nature.

One day while talking to a friend he told me that he'd rather pay to work out in a gym than hike with us because the gym is airconditioned and he won't work up a sweat there. As long as most peple feel that way the governments, on all levels, will reflect that sentiment. That's why it's important to join your local trail clubs. The higher their membership the more sway they will have with the politicians.

The truths of your statements make me sick