PDA

View Full Version : Bought a hammock

grrickar
05-12-2006, 19:14
Got an ENO Single Nest. Most of the other hammocks are for skinny folks that eat celery ;) Now I can eat my way to 400 lbs and I'm still good LOL.

I am not planning on using it as shelter just yet, but I am carrying it on section hikes for relaxation. I need a tarp if/when I use it for a shelter.

I saw a guy in a Hennessy Hammock get drenched in a bad storm last month. The tarp seemed to be too small and rain blew in. He had a synthetic bag and was okay, which is good because the next night at Brown Gap it got well below freezing and there was ice everywhere.

I also got another down bag - an REI Plus Kilo Zero degree. I am a bit leery of tarps and down bags. With a tent (MSR Hubba) I feel comfortable that I can keep the bag dry, and I don't mind sleeping on the ground.

How big a tarp should one get to ensure one stays dry in a hammock? His looked to be setup well, but the wind was in excess of 30+ mph that night, and it rained the entire evening.

Hana_Hanger
05-12-2006, 19:24
I prefer 9 x 9 but most use 8 x 8
all depends on what you want to do under the tarp :)
also how you postion the tarp... it needs to be lower to protect you from the wind and rain blowing in!

Congrats on your hammock...even when tent camping, you will I am sure enjoy relaxing in it, and everyone loves a nice nap!

peter_pan
05-12-2006, 20:50
Welcome to the hanging crowd...

Pan

neo
05-12-2006, 23:06
Got an ENO Single Nest. Most of the other hammocks are for skinny folks that eat celery ;) Now I can eat my way to 400 lbs and I'm still good LOL.

I am not planning on using it as shelter just yet, but I am carrying it on section hikes for relaxation. I need a tarp if/when I use it for a shelter.

I saw a guy in a Hennessy Hammock get drenched in a bad storm last month. The tarp seemed to be too small and rain blew in. He had a synthetic bag and was okay, which is good because the next night at Brown Gap it got well below freezing and there was ice everywhere.

I also got another down bag - an REI Plus Kilo Zero degree. I am a bit leery of tarps and down bags. With a tent (MSR Hubba) I feel comfortable that I can keep the bag dry, and I don't mind sleeping on the ground.

How big a tarp should one get to ensure one stays dry in a hammock? His looked to be setup well, but the wind was in excess of 30+ mph that night, and it rained the entire evening.

:sun happy hammocking to ya:cool: neo

Just Jeff
05-12-2006, 23:21
You'll want a ridgeline of at least 10', I'd say. You can use a square on the diagonal, or an 8x10, or a poncho on the diagonal, etc.

Staying dry is as much about site selection as tarp size. Sgt Rock made it through a hurricane (Cat 2?) with the stock HH fly, so it can be done. Of course, there's not much room to cook or change under the stock fly.

The JRB 8x8 and MacCats are popular and very light. If you're willing to pay a weight penalty of a few/several ounces, you can get some pretty cheap tarps from Campmor and the like. Or use poncho tarps.

Some stuff here if you're interested:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

grrickar
05-13-2006, 15:34
Wow...that MacCat tarp is nice. It might even make me think twice about *not* using my hammock as a shelter!

hammock engineer
05-13-2006, 23:58
I have the MacCat Deluxe tarp and really like it. I haven't put it through any rainstorm yet. But I have complete confidence in staying dry. There are some really good pics on this site and on the oes site showing the coverage of the McCat tarp.

Seeker
05-14-2006, 00:31
congrats, and welcome.

i've made it through some pretty hairy storms with just the stock fly... it's adequate, but site selection really helps.

i don't own one yet (still using an 8 x 10) but the 8 x 8 tarps size seems to be popular. if you get on jeff's site, you can see how it compares to others in coverage... he has a neat shot showing two kinds at the same time, and that makes it clearer than any amount of words.

stag3
05-14-2006, 13:53
I got a 8x10 silnylon tarp from campmor for less than $70 and weighs 13 oz. It has lots of gromets so it should give some options for hanging.

My plan is to hang the 10 ft section along the ridgeline and then have 4 ft on each side. In bad weather, there are enough gromets to close each end. Well,for $70 it looks okay.

Ramble~On
05-14-2006, 17:59
Since I haven't seen anyone mention a larger tarp I'll chime in with my two cents. I use an Equinox 10'x12' silnylon.

I have smaller tarps but since first using this one it is a standard piece of gear I take on all trips. I have never been wet and the size allows for a lot of set up options. I got really tired of summer thunderstorms pouring rain and feeling that other tarps weren't big enough...with the 10'x12' there is plenty of usable space to spread out in and actually enjoy the rain.
One drawback is weight as the 10'x12' weighs something like 18 oz...I do not mind the added weight for the added roof over my head.

brz
05-14-2006, 18:52
i use force flex trash bags on windward side (head). just run line thru hole in bag. snakeskins cover hole. bag drapes over tarp and hammock. i have a hennesay asym w/ maccat micro tarp. its the stuff UNDER hammock that gets wet. so, i put everything outside in a force flex trash bag. works great. get new bags w/resupply.

peanuts
05-14-2006, 23:44
WEll congrats!! I own the same hammock and i love it!!! I use the Equinox 8x10 tarp with no problems..

PS don't forget to make your bug netting...

hammock engineer
05-15-2006, 08:12
One of these days, we might want to start talking people out of hammocking. If everyone switches, it will be harder to find a good spot.

peter_pan
05-15-2006, 16:10
One of these days, we might want to start talking people out of hammocking. If everyone switches, it will be harder to find a good spot.

Nawww...there are plenty of options (trees) for the hammockers.

Pan

swede
05-15-2006, 16:52
Are hammocks still banned in the Smokies NP? Hope not because my HH has ruined me. If so, plan B is the Bartram in June.

strnorm
05-15-2006, 23:46
I got a lit weight 8x10 tarp at army navy store,works well for cover over hammock.10 bucks

SGT Rock
05-16-2006, 03:39
Are hammocks still banned in the Smokies NP? Hope not because my HH has ruined me. If so, plan B is the Bartram in June.
I use my HH in the Smokies all the time. The only exception is near a shelter where you must have a reservation to stay. Even with that, last year I used my hammock near a shelter that was full of thru-hikers. I did have a reservation but didn't feel like kicking one out - I prefer to sleep in my hammock over a shelter any day anyway. That is another reason to use the BMT through the Smokies instead of the AT because of all the open campsites you can use :D

swede
05-16-2006, 20:26
I use my HH in the Smokies all the time. The only exception is near a shelter where you must have a reservation to stay. Even with that, last year I used my hammock near a shelter that was full of thru-hikers. I did have a reservation but didn't feel like kicking one out - I prefer to sleep in my hammock over a shelter any day anyway. That is another reason to use the BMT through the Smokies instead of the AT because of all the open campsites you can use :D

Thanks, Top.

grrickar
05-17-2006, 00:05
No hammock yet...where is that UPS guy? Hmmm...where the heck am I going to hang this in my yard? Not enuff trees in my yard. I was thinking about using a post with an eye hook on one side and having the other end to tie to a large oak tree.

Doctari
05-17-2006, 10:24

OH, I see. Yes.

ATTENTION EVERYONE!
Do NOT get a hammock for: They are: cold, hard to sleep in, can't use one without trees, Real Men/Women sleep on the ground as god intended, heavy, expensive, And; tents provide better protection from critters & etc. anyway.

Is it working?

Ah well, I tried.

Doctari.

Just Jeff
05-17-2006, 11:15
I agree. Hammocks suck.

grrickar
05-17-2006, 18:09
I got my hammock today! woohoo :sun

Now, can someone tell me how to hang it in my office at work? I was thinking drywall anchors. Do they make some that hold 250lbs ;)

Just Jeff
05-17-2006, 19:24
You'll need them rated to 600+ pounds each.

Get a portable hammock stand...

grrickar
05-17-2006, 20:13
Now you tell me, now that I have huge gaping holes in the walls of my office. Man, how am I going to explain this to my boss???:D

The hammock seems well made - can't wait to try it out in the woods

funbun
05-18-2006, 01:43
Cool, hopr you have fun with it. I had the same experience usiing a hammock for the first time that I had when riding a recumbent bicycle for the first time: I couldnt quite grining