PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance

zlucian
05-13-2006, 07:40
Wondering if anyone could make a reccomendation regarding a short term health plan to cover major medical expenses. Starting SOBO in three weeks (6/5) and honestly did not consider insurance in all of my planning. An oversight on my part. Any suggestions?

(Previously posted in incorrect forum)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-13-2006, 09:32
Not sure if this is still a good deal, but my parents had my brother join a farmer's co-op that offered a group plan when he was in grad school (and too old to stay on their insurance). It saved them a bundle over the cost of getting an individual health plan for him. Since farmers are generally self-employed, I wouldn't be surprised if the plans still exist.

hammock engineer
05-13-2006, 11:48
I am in a similar boat. I do not have insurance and I am going to get some before I leave in July. I looked online for short term 6 month plans. I forget the website, try a google search.

I saw some for around $400. One thing to consider is a plan that will allow you to go to as many different places as possible. Or something with a low deductable, since in most cases you will end up going to an emergency room versus a doctor's office.

brpgsm
05-13-2006, 13:28
I did the short term insurance thing after grad-school and before my company's policy kicked in. As mentioned above a google search will come up with a ton options, you pay online and print out an insurance card. I never had to file a claim so I don't know how reputable these places are. I just got the cheapest policy available to protect me if I needed a big claim (the appendix bursts in our family young and often :) )

zlucian
05-17-2006, 15:59
Thanks for all the help folks. I actually remembered that an old friend of mine sells insurance. Hooked me up with a short term (6 month) policy from a company called Celtic Insurance. Reasonable deductable and out of pocket limit, coverage across the us; exactly what I was looking for.

MOWGLI
05-17-2006, 16:19
I actually remembered that an old friend of mine sells insurance. Hooked me up with a short term (6 month) policy from a company called Celtic Insurance.

Check the Rider on the policy carefully. I believe you have to wear a kilt if you carry that insurance. ;)

The Solemates
05-17-2006, 16:59
Thanks for all the help folks. I actually remembered that an old friend of mine sells insurance. Hooked me up with a short term (6 month) policy from a company called Celtic Insurance. Reasonable deductable and out of pocket limit, coverage across the us; exactly what I was looking for.

we had celtic with a high deductable (something like $5K) for around $1000 for 2 people for 6 months.. fortunately, we didnt need it.

gilmour14
05-18-2006, 12:30
I posted this response to another thread, but this might be more appropriate.

I noticed that a lot of the Insurance companies recommended on whiteblaze don't exist for those of us from New York and Mass. I did find a short term travel insurance plan from CSA Travel Protection for about 400$ for 6 months (starting 6/10 sobo). This covers medical up to 50,000 and medical evacuation up to 250,000. Has anyone heard anything about this company? Are they reputable at all?

Keep in mind that if you check out some of these "travel insurance" plans, you have to get the full plan and not just the medical plan. Usually the medical-only plan only covers US citizens traveling outside the US.

Kevin A. Boyce
05-18-2006, 12:39
Here is one I am using for a trip to Alaska in a few months, it is available for domestic travel here in the US.

www.worldnomads.com (http://www.worldnomads.com)

I did a search on coverage of starting June 1 for 6 months staying domestic it is less $250...
<TABLE class=benefits-table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=coverage><TD>Emergency Medical & Dental</TD><TH>USD $50,000</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=benefits-table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=coverage><TD>Emergency Medical Evacuation</TD><TH>USD $500,000</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=benefits-table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=coverage><TD>Travel Accident</TD><TH>USD $10,000</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=benefits-table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=coverage><TD>Baggage</TD><TH>USD $2,500</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=benefits-table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=coverage><TD>Sporting Equipment</TD><TH>USD $1,000</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=benefits-table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=coverage><TD>Trip Cancellation or interruption</TD><TH>USD $1,000</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Of course use at your own risk, and I am not an agent of this company, just passing along information that I have found. Also I am in NY and they will cover me.

Catch you on the trail...
KevBoy