PDA

View Full Version : mass. hits and misses?

k-n
05-13-2006, 10:44
gonna do section hike from just in vt. to mass 20 or so any helpful hints or things i should know or not miss.

MOWGLI
05-13-2006, 11:03
gonna do section hike from just in vt. to mass 20 or so any helpful hints or things i should know or not miss.

Garnerville, eh? I lived in New City for many years. CHSN Class of '79. North Rockland always kicked our butts in football.

When you hit the road crossing in North Adams, there is a Friendlys ice cream parlor a mile or two east. Good breakfast. Good ice cream. Atop Greylock, go inside the monument. On a clear day you can see the Adirondacks to the NW. I'm not sure about what the status of the Bascom Lodge is. I caught a shower and a meal there in 2000.

Upper Goose Pond is a must see. Stay there if you can. Dalton is a nice little town. You can get a beer, or coffee, or a newspaper, or whatever.

Have a nice hike!

Sly
05-13-2006, 11:34
Yeah, plan a zero at Upper Goose Pond, bring Deet and try to hit Tanglewood at the end of your hike.

Cookerhiker
05-13-2006, 12:36
Hey guys - he's only going SOBO as far as Rt. 20 - Upper Goose Pond is beyond that. That is, if he means US Rt. 20 (as opposed to MA Rt. 23 which would include traversing past Upper Goose Pond).

Unless you're starting in the next few days, Bascom Lodge should be open - here's the link: http://www.naturesclassroom.org/bascom.htm

Greylock is undoubtedly the highlight. The stretch from Cheshire to Rt. 20 is pretty easy so you should make good time.

Sly
05-13-2006, 13:00
<hr style="" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Hey guys - he's only going SOBO as far as Rt. 20 - Upper Goose Pond is beyond that. That is, if he means US Rt. 20 (as opposed to MA Rt. 23 which would include traversing past Upper Goose Pond).

Ah yeah, right, but it's only another 1.6 miles, and well worth the effort!

JJB
05-13-2006, 13:32
Stay out of the Bellows Pipe shelter. Absolute rat hole.

k-n
05-13-2006, 18:17
i just did pa. in april and the rocks were all they said they would be. how is mass. in the rock department(not counting the pixies)?

k-n
05-13-2006, 18:21
Garnerville, eh? I lived in New City for many years. CHSN Class of '79. North Rockland always kicked our butts in football.

When you hit the road crossing in North Adams, there is a Friendlys ice cream parlor a mile or two east. Good breakfast. Good ice cream. Atop Greylock, go inside the monument. On a clear day you can see the Adirondacks to the NW. I'm not sure about what the status of the Bascom Lodge is. I caught a shower and a meal there in 2000.

Upper Goose Pond is a must see. Stay there if you can. Dalton is a nice little town. You can get a beer, or coffee, or a newspaper, or whatever.

Have a nice hike!my cousin went to north(m.killeen) i went to albertus.thanx for the info.apparently upper goose pond is the *****.(no pun intended)

MOWGLI
05-13-2006, 19:24
my cousin went to north(m.killeen) i went to albertus.thanx for the info.apparently upper goose pond is the *****.(no pun intended)

Then you know my ex-wife, Jeanne Gray - Albertus Class of '80. We've been divorced for almost 20 years.

And yes, Upper Goose Pond is the *****, but not like the Geese around Rockland Lake. ;)

Scott3
05-13-2006, 22:27
The Cobbles just south of Cheshire are pretty cool.....Just take the short side trail.

Cookerhiker
05-14-2006, 09:43
i just did pa. in april and the rocks were all they said they would be. how is mass. in the rock department(not counting the pixies)?

My recollection: not as bad footing-wise as the worst stretches of PA, especially the northern part of Mass which you're doing. For me, the toughest footing with rocks & roots in Mass was south of your stretch between Rts 23 and 7. Also, the south side of Mt Everett was kind of rocky but nothing like the Bake Oven Knob and similar areas of PA.

k-n
05-14-2006, 10:37
Then you know my ex-wife, Jeanne Gray - Albertus Class of '80. We've been divorced for almost 20 years.

And yes, Upper Goose Pond is the *****, but not like the Geese around Rockland Lake. ;)yes i do,and i'm glad it's not like rockland lake.