PDA

View Full Version : John Muir Trail - August '06

MOWGLI
05-13-2006, 15:12
OK, so I've talked about doing some more of the Coloraado Trail this summer, but plans have changed. I will do Shenandoah NP SOBO with my daughter in mid-June, and then in August it's the John Muir Trail with a friend. I am totally stoked! :banana

Sly
05-13-2006, 17:15
JMT is a great hike. I hope you got your permit already.

https://www.yosemitesecure.org/wildpermit/

MOWGLI
05-13-2006, 17:56
JMT is a great hike. I hope you got your permit already.

https://www.yosemitesecure.org/wildpermit/

Yup! The guy who asked me to join him already has the permit. His friend backed out. I don't mind being Plan B. I'm just glad that I'm going on the hike! :banana

Cookerhiker
05-13-2006, 21:22
Hey MOWGLI, when do you start? I have a JMT permit for two starting August 30 (from Yosemite of course). My normal hiking partner Northern Harrier won't be joining me so I have a space available on the permit. A new friend I just met last month also got an Aug. 30 permit so I'm hiknig with him at least partway.

This all assumes my herniated disk doesn't hamper me (see my post today in the "General" forum).

Also, when in mid-June is your Shenandoah hike and where are you starting?

MOWGLI
05-13-2006, 21:36
Hey MOWGLI, when do you start? I have a JMT permit for two starting August 30 (from Yosemite of course). My normal hiking partner Northern Harrier won't be joining me so I have a space available on the permit. A new friend I just met last month also got an Aug. 30 permit so I'm hiknig with him at least partway.

This all assumes my herniated disk doesn't hamper me (see my post today in the "General" forum).

Also, when in mid-June is your Shenandoah hike and where are you starting?

The JMT Permit starts August 11 and ends August 31. We hope to finish on August 26.

The Shenandoah NP hike will probably start June 18 and go SOBO from Front Royal. I'll be in Silver Spring that week for a meeting. Maybe we can meet up for a cup of coffee.

Cookerhiker
05-13-2006, 21:41
The JMT Permit starts August 11 and ends August 31. We hope to finish on August 26.

The Shenandoah NP hike will probably start June 18 and go SOBO from Front Royal. I'll be in Silver Spring that week for a meeting. Maybe we can meet up for a cup of coffee.

Which week - the previous one? I'm leaving Saturday June 17 for Californnia (vacation with my wife, no hiking) so I'm home until then. Where's your meeting? You can send a PM.

Clark Fork
05-14-2006, 00:50
My permit is for July 27.

Lots of preparation links, bear barrel info, and some historical info in my Journal:

Clark Fork's Trail Journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/ClarkFork/)

Best Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana, "Where Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word."

Mags
05-15-2006, 11:24
Awesome! I love Colorado (duh! :D), but gotta say the JMT is probably the most scenic stretch of hiking I've done in my life. You'll love it!

I'd love to go back and do it again ...that's how much I loved it!

chris
05-16-2006, 09:45
Good luck! The JMT is maybe the best short long distance trail in the US. I'll be on the Sierra High Route in July and am hoping to find something that can beat the JMT for raw beauty.

tlbj6142
05-16-2006, 15:01
JMT is a great hike. I hope you got your permit already.How exactly do "they" prevent folks from obtaining a PCT thru-hiker permit (unlimited number issued???) with a MT Whitney summit (ditto?) as an end-around for the JMT permit?

Cookerhiker
05-16-2006, 16:49
Awesome! I love Colorado (duh! :D), but gotta say the JMT is probably the most scenic stretch of hiking I've done in my life. You'll love it!

I'd love to go back and do it again ...that's how much I loved it!

Now you got my mouth watering! Just hope my herniated disk doesn't present a problem.:o

MOWGLI
05-16-2006, 20:40
Here's a question for anyone who has done summer hiking in the Sierra. What sort of sunlight can I expect in August? Are we talking 13 hours of sunlight? More or less?

Thanks.

tlbj6142
05-16-2006, 20:49
What sort of sunlight can I expect in August?http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

I typically assume it is "daylight" from the start of civil twilight to the end of civil twilight.

For August 16, 2006, about the middle of JMT...

Begin civil twilight 05:44
Sunrise 06:12
Sun transit 12:58
Sunset 19:43
End civil twilight 20:11

MOWGLI
05-16-2006, 21:20
Thank you. That is helpful.

tlbj6142
05-17-2006, 07:53
In the mountains, it may be darker later (sooner in the evening) from the shadows of the mountains. On most of my solo trips, I try to wake up at the begininning of Civil Twilight (aka "first light"), so that I can be on the trail shortly after sunrise.

And in the evening, I aim to have my shelter setup just before sunset. Leaving a few extra minutes of light for chores, dinner, etc.

chris
05-17-2006, 09:20
How exactly do "they" prevent folks from obtaining a PCT thru-hiker permit (unlimited number issued???) with a MT Whitney summit (ditto?) as an end-around for the JMT permit?

The PCT permit issued via the PCTA requires you to be hiking at least 500 miles in one more or less continuous stretch. One could, of course, lie about it, and get the permit. The Whitney Zone stamp is, I think, run through the forest service in the standard way, but because of the time when thruhikers pass by, and the trailhead (not Whitney Portal), getting a stamp is usually easy.

Jaybird
05-17-2006, 09:34
OK, so I've talked about doing some more of the Coloraado Trail this summer, but plans have changed. I will do Shenandoah NP SOBO with my daughter in mid-June, and then in August it's the John Muir Trail with a friend. I am totally stoked! :banana

MOWGLI16:

Good Luck with your hikes...no matter where they'll be! hehehehehehe:D

My wife & i will be hiking in San Juan National Forest for a few days @ the end of May @ about the 10,000 ft elevation level...should be FUN in S.W.Colorado.:D

MOWGLI
05-20-2006, 16:11
Just got my guidebook today - "The John Muir Trail" by Alan Castle. I also sprung for "Trout Fishing the John Muir Trail" by Steve Beck.

I made the mistake of not carrying a flyrod through Maine. I won't repeat that mistake on the JMT. With a little skill blended with some luck, I might be able to increase my protein intake without carrying any extra food.

oliander
06-02-2006, 18:50
"The JMT Permit starts August 11 and ends August 31. We hope to finish on August 26."

16 days for the JMT? IMHO that is way too little.

Just because your body can do 14-mile days does not mean that you SHOULD. I think the unhappiest people I met on my JMT trip were the ones that were trying to cram in too much mileage. They would show up at Evolution Lake at 8:30 p.m., set up the tent in the dark, then get up and leave before the light. As a result, they missed out on some of the spectacular scenery they supposedly came to see.

Also, your mouth will absolutely water with all the little side-trip possibilities you will have to pass up because you are moving too fast. Such as Half Dome, Lake Ediza, Darwin Canyon, Dragon Lake...

If at all possible, try to stretch it out till Aug 31.

MOWGLI
06-02-2006, 19:56
"The JMT Permit starts August 11 and ends August 31. We hope to finish on August 26."

16 days for the JMT? IMHO that is way too little.

Just because your body can do 14-mile days does not mean that you SHOULD. I think the unhappiest people I met on my JMT trip were the ones that were trying to cram in too much mileage. They would show up at Evolution Lake at 8:30 p.m., set up the tent in the dark, then get up and leave before the light. As a result, they missed out on some of the spectacular scenery they supposedly came to see.

Also, your mouth will absolutely water with all the little side-trip possibilities you will have to pass up because you are moving too fast. Such as Half Dome, Lake Ediza, Darwin Canyon, Dragon Lake...

If at all possible, try to stretch it out till Aug 31.

No can do. I fly home from LA August 28. I'll do Half Dome in the 2.5 days I'll spend in Yosemite before we start the hike. Plus, I'll visit the redwoods in the park.

Trust me when I say I won't miss much scenery, and I that won't be starting & finishing my days in the dark. Since I'm a naturalist, I'll see things most people will walk right past in a 3+ week hike. Unhappy on the JMT? I don't think so!

We'll do long days, and have a zero day planned @ VVR. We'll soak in hot springs. Enjoy Devils Postpile. I plan to fish regularly. It's all good.

Clark Fork
06-07-2006, 01:00
I picked up this link off PCT Forum:

Very comprehensive info, maps, bear box locations, Sierra Shuttles, Summits, GPS references. A lot pertains to the greater Sierra area but very useful nevertheless. You can't be too rich, too thin or have too much info....

Climber.org data (http://climber.org/data/index.html)

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where Seldom is Heard A Discouraging Word."

Cookerhiker
06-07-2006, 06:50
I picked up this link off PCT Forum:

Very comprehensive info, maps, bear box locations, Sierra Shuttles, Summits, GPS references. A lot pertains to the greater Sierra area but very useful nevertheless. You can't be too rich, too thin or have too much info....

Climber.org data (http://climber.org/data/index.html)

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where Seldom is Heard A Discouraging Word."

Much thanks!

Ewker
06-07-2006, 11:52
here is a decent site to check out
http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~rbell/JohnMuirTrail.html

Clark Fork
06-21-2006, 20:18
Here is yet another forum. This one dedicated to the High Sierra. Some very good info pertinent to the JMT.

Sierra Topix (http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/index.php)

Less than five weeks to go to my JMT start date July 27. Time is hurtling along this year.

Best Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word."

Clark Fork Trail Journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/ClarkFork/)

Clark Fork
07-09-2006, 12:32
Free JMT Sporky Offer!

Check out free Sporky offer on Trail Journals:

Free Sporky Offer (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4111)

Just leave a trail suggestion or advice in my guest book, e-mail me your address and the first 25 will get a genuine embossed Light My Fire Sporky. Deadline July 25, 2006.

JMT Trail Permit-July 27, 2006

mrc237
07-09-2006, 13:26
Wonderful Golden Trout abound on the JMT. Even city boy EZ was catching fish every day. I was hiking along with a few southern boys who allowed me to use their gear. Best hike I ever took. I'm sure I have a map set if needed.

Sly
07-09-2006, 18:14
How exactly do "they" prevent folks from obtaining a PCT thru-hiker permit (unlimited number issued???) with a MT Whitney summit (ditto?) as an end-around for the JMT permit?

Well you could try do that, but I was checked three times from Yosemite valley to Toulemne Meadows where the JMT joins the PCT to Mt Whitney.

tlbj6142
07-10-2006, 10:16
Well you could try do that, but I was checked three times from Yosemite valley to Toulemne Meadows where the JMT joins the PCT to Mt Whitney.It should work. Not sure why it wouldn't. Espeically if you were to hike NOBO on the JMT during PCT thru-hiker season (mid-june through mid-july). Even so, with many folks doing flips to avoid the snow (depends on year), you could probably get away with it in late season (Aug/Sept) as well (assuming you go SOBO).

MOWGLI
07-10-2006, 10:44
It should work. Not sure why it wouldn't. Espeically if you were to hike NOBO on the JMT during PCT thru-hiker season (mid-june through mid-july). Even so, with many folks doing flips to avoid the snow (depends on year), you could probably get away with it in late season (Aug/Sept) as well (assuming you go SOBO).

Why would you want to "get away with it?" You could probably "get away" without a tarp or tent too, but then again, maybe not. Why not apply for the free permit and avoid any potential hassle?

tlbj6142
07-10-2006, 11:46
Why not apply for the free permit and avoid any potential hassle?So, you are not tied to particular starting dates or locations. Isn't that the primary problem with obtaining a JMT permit?

MOWGLI
07-10-2006, 12:34
So, you are not tied to particular starting dates or locations. Isn't that the primary problem with obtaining a JMT permit?

Of course I am. Maybe I misunderstand your concerns.

tlbj6142
07-10-2006, 13:52
I was under the impression that certain starting locations (don't they limit permits by trailhead???) and days are very difficult to obtain permits for. Maybe this is an exaggeration, as I have not tried to obtain a JMT permit.

In my case, I have tentative plans to meet my brother on the PCT in June of '08 for a 2-week trip (KM->TM maybe with a Whitney summit thrown in). I probably won't buy my airline tickets until 30-days before I plan to arrive for my 2-week trip (the longer I wait, the better snow information I'll have). In order to maximize my Vacation Days, I'll probably fly into CA Friday evening and return home on a Sunday, such that I only miss 9 or 10 days of work. As such, I can't let permit issues affect my trip. Though, given the time of year (mid-to-late June) and trailhead (NOBO PCT out of KM), obtaining a legit JMT permit wouldn't be an issue.

I have penciled in June 20th, 2008 through July 6, 2008 for my flights. That would give me 15 days on the trail for only 9 vacation days spent (4th July is a holiday).

Clark Fork
07-14-2006, 13:22
I was counting on my Epic weather jacket from Big Sky International. It has turned out to be so much vapor gear and will not make it by July 25th. The factory is having zipper problems. This company has a death wish, I think. My tent pegs ordered last fall, are in transit, however, and are expected along with some complimentary guy lines for my patience. I at least have my tent which arrived on the slow boat from china a few months ago.
Anyway. Need recommendation for light rain jacket/wind shirt. I have to act fast as I am leaving in 10 days. I was thinking of running over to REI and picking up a Marmot Precip. I don't know the weight however. Anyone have a Precip XL they could weigh and let me know weight.

What would you bring?

Sign me "Annoyed in Western Montana":(

MOWGLI
08-28-2006, 06:32
I'm back from the JMT! What an awesome experience. We ended up completing the trail in 15 days - with no zero days. I also did Half Dome on Day 1 - which was great. I caught perhaps three dozen trout of three varieties (Brook, Rainbow & Golden) on the fly. All but two were caught & released.

The trail was more difficult than I anticipated. Although usually nicely switchbacked - the 45K in elevation gain kicked my tail day in & out. I'll post a few photos in the next few days.

MOWGLI
08-28-2006, 11:21
While on the JMT I ran into a team of Reporters from the Fresno Bee. They were hiking the trail and writing & photographing it for a multimedia story. Here is a link to the BLOG - http://www.fresnobeehive.com/jmt/.

George "Tinman" Andrews is pictured in one of the photo galleries - doing what else? Demoing an alcohol stove - of course!

Tinman was about 3-4 days behind me - so unfortunately I never saw him on the trail.

Enjoy!

SGT Rock
08-28-2006, 11:28
Sounds like you had a great time.

Pacific Tortuga
08-28-2006, 13:08
I'm back from the JMT! What an awesome experience. We ended up completing the trail in 15 days - with no zero days. I also did Half Dome on Day 1 - which was great. I caught perhaps three dozen trout of three varieties (Brook, Rainbow & Golden) on the fly. All but two were caught & released.

The trail was more difficult than I anticipated. Although usually nicely switchbacked - the 45K in elevation gain kicked my tail day in & out. I'll post a few photos in the next few days.

I do not know how I missed you comming out west, glad you had a awesome time on the Muir Trail. Beside the bear containers,switch backs and altitude what should I be looking for in a change from the Sierra's to the AT, if any ? Glad your back, you could PM the info if you want. Thanks

P.S. I had access to LA Times luxury box for the second Anaheim vs: NY game ........... Anaheim won :banana though.

MOWGLI
08-28-2006, 16:20
Beside the bear containers,switch backs and altitude what should I be looking for in a change from the Sierra's to the AT, if any ?

1. Humidity, and as a result - possible chafing.

2. Other than Maine, all stream crossings (for the most part) on the AT are bridged.

3. Shelters galore. I didn't miss them on the JMT.

4. No night sky to speak of on the AT- in comparison.

5. About the same amount of people - give or take.

6. More dogs - less horses (only allowed in GSMNP).

7. More rocks, roots & mud on the AT.

8. The fishing on the AT pales in comparison to the JMT.

9. You'll do well to read up about the ecology of Eastern Forests. Unlike the JMT, the views along the AT are primarily of the interior of forests.
That's what comes to mind right now.

PS: I learned about the Boston Massacre II on my last day on the trail. It was certainly one of the highlights of the trip. :banana

MOWGLI
09-28-2006, 06:49
My hiking partner on the JMT has a journal on Trail Journals. I just read his excerpt from 8/22 this morning;

"Hiking by 6 AM on a very cold morning. We took on Pinchot Pass by 8:30 and made another decent. It was a quick decent by Jeffrey – he set this section of the JMT on fire, I think I saw smoke coming out from under those shoes."

he he

Guess this old guy still has it sometimes. Here's a URL="http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=158830"]link [/URL]to his journal.

Cookerhiker
09-28-2006, 20:50

Congrats Jeffrey - you're a better man than me, or at least a better hiker. I returned home from the JMT last week and only made it to Mile 163 before running out of time and food. Like you, I found it more difficult than expected especially those damnned descents. Of course, it took me 3 days to adjust to elevation.

Still had an awesome time and experienced everything I wanted in the alpine atmosphere - snow, lakes, meadows, still-blooming flowers. I'll post a few photos later but they're about 100 on my TJ site: http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhikerjmt

Cookerhiker
09-28-2006, 20:53
1. Humidity, and as a result - possible chafing.......That's what comes to mind right now.

PS: I learned about the Boston Massacre II on my last day on the trail. It was certainly one of the highlights of the trip. :banana

That's funny - I never had chafing problems on the AT or 4 seasons of Easter hiking but I did have chafing on the JMT. I thought it was the dryness....

Sly
09-28-2006, 21:12
Although I grew up in the East and have my roots here, I much prefer Western hiking. It, I guess arguably so, doesn't get much better than the Sierras.

Cookerhiker, it sucks you fell behind your time schedule. I did to last year and once I realized I'd have to push it, bailed early at Piute Pass. Not finishing the trail didn't bother me, I had already done all from Whitney to TM before, but leaving some left gave me the perfect excuse to go back.

mrc237
09-28-2006, 22:02
Every hiker should do the JMT. EVERY HIKER!!!

Jeff
09-29-2006, 09:28
I know many PCT thru-hikers try to leave Kennedy Meadows around June 15th. Are any thru's still leaving KM around July 15th??

Trying to schedule a PCT section hike and really want to avoid lots of snow.

MOWGLI
09-29-2006, 10:03
I returned home from the JMT last week and only made it to Mile 163 before running out of time and food.

Well, now you have an excuse to go back and pick up where you left off! Or start over again! That's the beauty of hiking!