PDA

View Full Version : hiking stick caches in PA?

mdionne
05-13-2006, 16:05
i was told there is a local around the carlisle area that hides carved hiking sticks in bushes with notes attached saying "if you find it, it's yours". is this some urban legend or has anyone else heard this before?

Ridge Rat
05-14-2006, 03:33
I normally stay north of carlisle in my weekend excusions in the PA wilderness, but I do know that hiking sticks are far from a rare find in PA. Never seen a note attached but I think all the ones I have picked up are just sticks that people accidently left on the trail or as I do purposely leave them for people to find around area's that are extremely rocky. I only need them to traverse the rocks and when I am done getting across I leave it for the next guy so that he too makes it without falling. But, to answer your question, I have heard the rumor, never seen a carved one, but if you do find one let me know, would be cool to know it's true

Doctari
05-14-2006, 09:18
I have heard of that, Backpacker (As "Trailside") did a video of hiking the AT & one of the participants found one, Maine Rose carried it the rest of the way to Kathadin. Fairly intricately carved from what I remember. She was delighted with it. I talked to her a few years after her thru, she still had it, kept in a place of honor at home.

Doctari.

jaboobie
05-18-2006, 11:34
I had never heard of that but I'll pay more attention now.

Green Bean
05-18-2006, 22:07
That would be an awesome find. Indeed! ~GB