PDA

View Full Version : long distance sleeping comfort...

mike!
05-14-2006, 04:15
Well, Im thinking about thru-hiking the AT next year, and i've gave a lot of thought about sleeping pads and sleeping comfort. now granted, sleeping in a hammock or sleeping on the ground with a nice inflatable mattress is very comfortable, and the transition from your bed to one of these comfortable solutions isnt very difficult. but i was woundering how your body adapts to its new sleeping arrangement over time. like if i just brought a simple gossamergear nightlight torso pads (3.7 oz) in 2 weeks or so, would this pad be just as comfortable as my body becomes accustomed to it? on the LT last summer i met a southbounder who didnt even carry a pad and planned on sleeping in shelters only, when i asked him about it he said he hiked the AT a year prior and his comfort level changed dramatically, to the point were he favored a hard wood floor over his bed. so in the long run, is carrying the extra weight really worth it?
any experiances?
mike!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-14-2006, 07:24
While humans are very adaptable creatures, I seriously doubt the body would adapt to not having the basic need for warmth met. I'm sure it is possible to learn to sleep on the thinner, closed-cell foam options comfortably over time, but please be sure your need for insulation is met.

While you could probably sleep on the wood floors of shelters without a pad, what happens when the shelter is full or something forces you to make camp elsewhere? What happens when a serious storm moves in and the temps suddenly drop?

If you are wanting to stay extremely light, I'd suggest doing a lot of reading in the ultralight section of this forum.

neo
05-14-2006, 07:57
[quote=mike!]Well, Im thinking about thru-hiking the AT next year, and i've gave a lot of thought about sleeping pads and sleeping comfort. now granted, sleeping in a hammock or sleeping on the ground with a nice inflatable mattress is very comfortable, and the transition from your bed to one of these comfortable solutions isnt very difficult. but i was woundering how your body adapts to its new sleeping arrangement over time. like if i just brought a simple gossamergear nightlight torso pads (3.7 oz) in 2 weeks or so, would this pad be just as comfortable as my body becomes accustomed to it? on the LT last summer i met a southbounder who didnt even carry a pad and planned on sleeping in shelters only, when i asked him about it he said he hiked the AT a year prior and his comfort level changed dramatically, to the point were he favored a hard wood floor over his bed. so in the long run, is carrying the extra weight really worth it?
any experiances?
mike![/qu

now this is long distance sleeping comfort:cool: neo

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10579&c=665&userid=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7889&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7105&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7649&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6063&catid=member&imageuser=3462

mike!
05-14-2006, 14:29
ah yeah dino, sorry my last post was kinda confusing, the question was more about how your body perceives comfort in the long run, and what your body might not think was comfortable now, it will adapt in 2 weeks or so. like i have this thin egg crate foam mat, its not very comfortable on shelter floors, but i was thinking how long, if ever, would it take to get comfy on it.

lol yeah i know neo, i've tried a few hammocks, and while they are comfortable... are they worth the weight if your body will become just as comfortable sleeping on the ground with a 1/8" pad or something in 2 weeks or so? so for the next 5 months, your pack is light and your getting a full night's sleep.
thanks!
mike!

DawnTreader
05-14-2006, 15:38
Dinasour is right on...
Comfort is secondary when considering wether or not to carry a sleeping pad. Most thin cc pads are designed for insulation only. All heat while sleeping is lost through the ground, a good pad prevents this.. I think your body could get accustomed to the wood floors, and continue to be comfortable over long distances, but who wants to spend their nights in a dark damp shelter??

Whistler
05-15-2006, 23:08
Yes, I think your comfort levels can drop over the long-term, as long as your insulation needs are being met. The first few nights may be awkward, but training hikes will help you know what to expect. I spent a month straight with a 38" Ridgerest and did just fine. That's one of the advantages of youth. I'll add the caveat that I don't side-sleep much, so I haven't really felt too much need for more padding.
-Mark

mike!
05-16-2006, 01:15
ya whistler.. thats one thing i need to practice.. sleeping on my back. i might need to tie myself down because everytime i wake up, im on my side.
mike!

SGT Rock
05-16-2006, 05:36
Well in my experience things can fluctuate. After you get comfortable enough to sleep as you are worn out, you can also go the other way in that a pad on a shelter floor may not feel comfortable enough to you after a few days on the trail - tossing and turning at night trying to get comfortable when only a few nights before you just passed out. So with whatever you do, be prepared to want to change after a while as you get used to being out in the boonies.

general
05-16-2006, 17:41
i like the big agnes air core inflatable mattress. comfortable anywhere.