PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for 3 day hike in Duncannon, Pa area?

honu
05-14-2006, 14:09
A friend is driving to Harrisburg, Pa the week after next. He has offered to drop me off on the AT on the morning of May 24 and pick me up on the evening of May 26. I'm trying to figure out a nice 3 day hike of 30-40 miles, with start and finish at road crossings. Not being familiar with the area, I am looking for recommendations. Thanks.

Kozmic Zian
05-14-2006, 14:40
Yea, Not Very Good....

Too bad that's the area you have to walk....Not very good out of Duncannon, to the North or South. North is the only way to go, though....because South of there, is nothing but 'Corn Fields'. At least north of there, you'll be on the 'Ridge Line'....Try to make it to Port Clinton....A 3-4 day walk through the famous 'PA ROCKS'....have good supportive boots....less you like sore feet....break um in good before you go or get blisters....Happy Hikin'....KZ@

MOWGLI
05-14-2006, 15:48
....because South of there, is nothing but 'Corn Fields'.
I donno. The Cumberland Valley was one of my favorite places along the trail. If you're looking for mountains, the valley isn't for you. But its not bad. Just different.

Crash
05-15-2006, 08:19
Get dropped off in Duncannon and hike north. You could then be pickedup at Rte 72 Swatara Gap on the other side of the St Anthony's Wilderness. Or if you want to go farther, go to Rte 501.

Shelters: Clarks Ferry, Peters Mtn., Rausch Gap, Rte 501.

It's a real nice area.

honu
05-15-2006, 23:55
Thanks for the replies.

According to the Data Book: Duncannon to Peters Mountain Shelter is 11.3 miles, Peters Mountain Shelter to Rausch Gap Shelter is 17.5 miles, and Rausch Gap Shelter to 501 is 17.4 miles. The milage seems doable; a couple weeks ago I did 52 miles in three days. However, that was on forest trails and not the Pa rocks (which I've only heard about but never experienced).

Is the hiking much slower on the rocks?

If I want to even out the daily milage a bit, is camping allowed? If yes, are there decent places to camp or does the terrain make finding a campsite difficult?