PDA

View Full Version : Esbit info:

Jack Tarlin
05-14-2006, 17:05
A 2006er I know here in Damascus wants to ditch his Whisperlite for something stronger and is leaning against an alcohol stove.

He's considering an Esbit and asked me for advice. I can't help him much, I've never used one. Some quick questions to Esbit folks out there:

1. How freely available are fuel tablets North of Damascus?
2. How many did you usually carry with you?
3. Did you use one per meal or could you get away with less?

Any other comments regarding efficiency, problems, tips, etc. would be appreciated, thanx in advance!!

tlbj6142
05-14-2006, 21:02
1. How freely available are fuel tablets North of Damascus?Can't help you with this one.
2. How many did you usually carry with you?With a windscreen one will boil 2.5-3 cups of water. Total burn time 12-14 minutes.
3. Did you use one per meal or could you get away with less?For my 2-5 day hikes, I only use one-half to boil 12oz of water for a boil-n-bag meal. But I'd have to assume a thru-hiker (and their hunger) would need at least 1 per day.

If they are hard to light, put a drop of alcohol hand gel on it.

If I remember correctly, Chris, used Esbit for awhile on his GDT thru-hike and hated it. But he eat larger meals than most AT thru-hikers. I think he was using 2 per-day.

swift
05-14-2006, 21:04
Jack, I carry 10 or so at a time and plan on using 2 for dinner. You can get away with using one for boiling up 16 oz but thats about it, and its a short boil. I just go ahead and fire up 2 for 24 oz, it get the water boiling FAST and just blow out and save what's left. I believe 10 esbits run about 2.6 oz. I use a Brasslite Turbo for a stand with an aluminum cutout to cover the hole, this gives me the option to use alcohol if I run out of esbit, which I never do. Basically all of the outfitters carry Esbit all the way up the line although it's pricey. Buying by the case and sticking in maildrops has worked out better for me.... I stick a week's worth and some cigars in a $3.80 Priority Mail box and bump em if I dont need them Also, Coughlans make round fuel tabs that work the same way, about 3 of them is equivalent to one Esbit and they are cheaper. Some of the outfitters carry them as well. as well as many of the Walmarts along the trail, and all of the campstores in Shenandoah do too. Have also found Coughlan's tabs in a number of the small hardware stores, the one in Palmerton and the one in Chesire come to mind.

Any further assistance you friend needs, let me know.

swift
05-14-2006, 21:06
Oh, also its a big help to carry an eyedropper of alcohol, put a couple of drops on the tab. Easy lighting.

CeeJay
05-14-2006, 22:04
We used them as a backup to our canister stove the first half of the AT and planned to use them for the same purpose from Harper's Ferry North. We sent them via mail drops though that may have been illegal. They were expensive when we bought them on the trail and not always available. It took at least one to cook our food and ususally two or three if we wanted instant coffee or tea afterward to clean our pot and our cups. One problem I had is that the Esbits would burn down just as the food was almost but not quite cooked. Then I would have to use another tablet. It may work better for you if you are hiking alone. I was cooking for two of us.
The second half of the AT, I bought a cheap alcohol stove in Harpers Ferrry because I forgot to pack the Esbits. After using the alcohol stove, I sent home the Esbit stove and the canister stove the next time we got to town. The Esbit tabs did come in handy as fire starters a couple of times.
I also had some problem with them crumbling when the weather got damp and I had had them for awhile.
We actually started out from Springer with the Esbit as our only stove. Big mistake for us. We got the canister stove at Neels Gap but had some problems finding fuel for that at times and ended up carrying extra weight because we couldn't tell how much is left in the canister. I was really reluctant to use an alcohols stove, but once I did, I will never long distance hike with anything else.

SGT Rock
05-15-2006, 02:14
Well they are not illegal to mail, you can order them on-line. I believe they still work like a lot of other flammable things which you are supposed to send via ground shipment.

Esbit is a brand name for Hexamine fuel tablets. Besides Hexamine, there are a couple of other manufacturers out there that make the same basic material. It looks like white blocks of wax but is actually grainy material inside a layer of paraffin which is there to keep out water. Hexamine is also a desiccant which will not burn as well after it absorbs water. It can absorb water from the air, which is one good reason to keep it in a sealed pouch until use. It also smells like dead fish and can stink up a pack which is another reason to keep it in a sealed pouch. A foil lined pouch is better than a normal zip lock since plastic (like in a zip lock) is permeable enough to eventually let some smell escape.

If he wants to buy in bulk and get someone to mail it to him, here are some links for places to look:
http://www.imsplus.com/ims28.html
http://trailquest.net/dlgchxtab.html

In my experience a 7gram block (1/4 ounce) will boil a pint of water, conditions may make that vary. A good stove will have a stand that gets the pot about 3/4"-1" above the block and the block will be off the ground for better air flow - and the thing should have some sort of windscreen like an alcohol stove.

Toolshed
05-15-2006, 08:24
Jack, I used them a few trips, but now as a backup to my alcohol stove (Flip the sotve over and use a tiny grill made of 1/4" mesh)
When I used Esbits on their own, I found I needed 1 whole tablet in the AM to get enough water for my morning caffeine (about 16 oz). I then used 1 tablet in the evening for dinner (boiling 16 oz water) and a 2nd if I need something warm to drink later.

I usually carrry 1 additional tablet per day for shorter trips - So 4 tabs per day for a week. They are pretty light, so I don't mind having an extra handful with me.

I would avoid any other solid fuel tablet out there, from personal experience, they may be cheaper, but not in the long run, as they don't burn anywhere near as long or as cleanly a the Esbit brand.

Jack Tarlin
05-15-2006, 10:03
This has all been a great help; thanx very much. I'm trying to convince him to switch to a cannister stove, we'll see what happens.

weary
05-15-2006, 10:44
A 2006er I know here in Damascus wants to ditch his Whisperlite for something stronger and is leaning against an alcohol stove.

He's considering an Esbit and asked me for advice. !!
I doubt if a Esbit is "stronger" than a properly functioning Whisperlite. My guess is that his Whisperlight needs a cleaning. When mine is working okay it will boil a quart of water quicker than an Esbit will boil a pint.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
05-15-2006, 11:53
Actually, his Whisperlite works fine. I meant to say "lighter", not "stronger." Basically, he wants an effcieint lighterweight stove but doesn't want to use alcohol.

MedicineMan
07-19-2006, 01:42
its hard to spill an Esbit tablet....i've seen a section hiker spill his entire ration of alcohol first night out....given the weight of 4 esbit's is would seem smart to carry them regardless of whether you are using canister/alcohol/white gas....maybe even in a slackpack when dayhiking..

WalkinHome
07-19-2006, 22:55
There is no need to split an Esbit as they are easy to blow out.

StarLyte
07-19-2006, 23:25
There is no need to split an Esbit as they are easy to blow out.

You tell 'em.

Easy to blow out and they relight.

Cheap and lightweight too!

Skyline
07-20-2006, 00:28
Some random points:

•I've been using Esbits since '98, after having tried almost every other cooking method in the backcountry.

•The Esbit tabs are not the same as most hexamine products. They burn hotter, and are less toxic.

•They are available at many--but not all--outfitters. I have never seen them in stores thru-hikers resupply from like Dollar General, WalMart, etc. tho I have seen less efficient hexamine products like Coughlin's brand in non-outfitter retail shops (but you'll need three Coughlin tabs to equal the burn of one Esbit). Esbit stoves and tabs are available from 'net and phone order outfitters like Campmor.

•They make the most sense for those doing maildrops, or for section hikers.

•Never had any trouble lighting them, but I use the REI wooden waterproof/windproof matches.

•One Esbit tab will burn for about 15 minutes, more than enough for a typical hiker meal needing about 2 cups of water. I usually have enough of a tab left over that I blow it out and use it for tea or campfirestarter later.

•For maximum efficiency, definitely use a lightweight windscreen!

•I carry as many as 12 (the # that come in a box) at one time.

•The Esbit system is as close to idiot-proof as backcountry cooking gets, which is why I was attracted to it originally. That and the light weight.

Heater
07-20-2006, 02:27
Some random points:

•I've been using Esbits since '98, after having tried almost every other cooking method in the backcountry.

•The Esbit tabs are not the same as most hexamine products. They burn hotter, and are less toxic.

I was wondering how long they last. (shelf life) Do they weaken over time?

SGT Rock
07-20-2006, 06:26
They will if exposed to moisture. Just keep them in a foil layered zip lock (I use one from almond toppings for salads) and they will do fine. Zip locks are not as good because the smell can get out and moisture can get in over time.

Skyline
07-20-2006, 10:25
I was wondering how long they last. (shelf life) Do they weaken over time?

I over-bought during a wholesale buying thing I helped organize in '98. Have enough to last for many years more. Still as good as the day they arrived, in original boxes--and I'm keeping them for future use, expect them to last a lot longer.

Each tab comes sealed in its own plastic and foil compartment. I don't see how moisture would get in there.

I carry mine while backpacking, already in the aforementioned compartment, inside a ziploc bag which is inside my cookpot which is deep in my pack. Never, ever had one fail to light or in any other way deteriorate.