PDA

View Full Version : Ripstop Nylon waterproofness

brian
03-02-2003, 23:35
Is 1.9oz, or 1.1oz for that matter, ripstop nylon COMPLETLY waterproof? I am asking this becuase i plan to use homade stuffsacks and ditty bags made out of it for hiking, and more troublesome bike touring. SInce pannier covers are not practical, i plan to put all my clothing and shelter in RSNylon bags, which have been seam sealed. These hopefully will keep my gear dry for the 10+ hours im riding throughout the day, sometimes in rainy conditions. SO i need to be certain that my gear wont get wet. Any information?

Brian:confused:

Streamweaver
03-03-2003, 00:45
If it just says Rip Stop Nylon it more than likely isnt waterproof. If it says coated or impregnated its water resistant or waterproof. Sil-nylon is rip stop impregnated with silicone. Some are impregnated with polyurethane .One way to tell is if one side is shiny than its prolly waterproof.Make gear forum (http://www.backpacking.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?cat=&c=2) Check out the make gear forum at backpacking.net they know alot more about this than I do. Streamweaver

Dirtyoldman
03-03-2003, 07:23
cloth by its nature is never water proof.... the best thing to do is use a trash bag or similar means too keep water out

Kerosene
03-03-2003, 07:51
If it's not silnylon or (typically urethane-) coated nylon, then it won't be waterproof. I highly recommend putting your clothing in a zip-loc bag at the very least. Consider putting a trash bag inside a coated stuff sack and then stuffing your sleeping bag to keep things dry. Save the RS-nylon ditty bags to hold miscellaneous stuff that won't get hurt by the wet.

brian
03-03-2003, 16:27
I meant to say urathane(sp) coated ripstop. ANd i made a large bag to hold my clothing for one of my panniers. And kerosene: the whole reason im asking this is becuase i dont want to have trash bags in my panniers, and zip lock bags are too small and dont close often.

Brian

DebW
03-03-2003, 16:40
Urethane coated nylon should be waterproof, though I believe the coating thickness provides a rating of how much water pressure it can take without leaking., ie if the water is just sliding off it should be fine, but if a puddle is standing on the fabric it may leak. A couple warning, though. You need a good seal on the stuff sacks, or to have them oriented away from the direction of water entry. A simple drawcord closure will not keep water out. Also, coating on nylon tends to last only a few years before the coating begins to degrade and the fabric loses waterproofness. So if you make good waterproof bags this year, don't trust them 3 years from now. How about lining your paniers with trash compactor bags? Should be about the right size, they are thick sturdy plastic, completely waterproof, and you twist the excess bag to seal the opening.