PDA

View Full Version : Wee wee in the woods?

Claudia
05-14-2006, 17:49
I usually hike away from heavy hiker trafic,but next month I'll be in the midst of peak thur-hiker trafic. When at shelter areas privies are for "solid waste" only, so how does one find privicy to urinate?
I usually solo and have sheltered alone or with just women all but 3 times (strange I know.) At night, how far is "proper" to go away from the shelter?

generoll
05-14-2006, 18:11
i think that in most cases it's assumed that females can use the privies to urinate. the extra liquid is not enough to interfere seriously with the mouldering privies since women are pretty much in the minority on the trail. i know the ratio is changing, but there are still a lot more pointers then setters.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-14-2006, 18:27
In group camps without privies I usually get out my rain poncho before retiring. I take it with me and use it as a privacy shield while I pee. I have mobility problems and don't go too far to pee.

Blissful
05-14-2006, 18:38
I've never known shelter privies to be for solids only. That's news to me. If they're there, I use them.

Rain Man
05-14-2006, 18:43
... When at shelter areas privies are for "solid waste" only, so how does one find privicy to urinate? ...

For what it's worth, I think fewer and fewer privies are that way. I think it's safe to say that all the newer ones I've seen in the south are okay with "liquid wastes" and even need them.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will address this premise.

Rain:sunMan

Spock
05-14-2006, 21:45
Most privies on the AT let girls winkle there. Boys have to bush it. Some have signs to that effect.

CeeJay
05-14-2006, 22:28
I just tried to get away from the trail or the shelter as much as possible. It isn't easy for a woman to find a place to pee on top of a bald, on a rocky mountain top, or before the bushes have started to grow. I have been hiking all day without seeing another hiker, but the minute I would go off to pee in the woods one would come along.
Most of the guys are really good about respecting your privacy. If they happen to spot you doing your thing in the woods, they will quickly look away and go off in another direction. As others have said, women are not expected to go off in the woods if there is a privy. I always threw in an extra bit of leaves or bark where that was required.
Do be careful about where you squat though, I got poison ivy on my butt and it almost ended my hike before I even go started. LOL

joel137
05-14-2006, 23:46
Generally speaking a moldering privy shouldn't be peed into.

This mostly goes for gents.

The ph of the urine inhibits the natural composting that is supposed to occur in a moldering privy. Usually there are instructions at the privy telling you this.

Claudia
05-15-2006, 00:08
Okay, so in the middle of the night when I gota go (and I will, repeatedly) I'm suposed to go all the way to the privy? Come on guys, reaally?

River Runner
05-15-2006, 02:49
If it's the middle of the night, and thus dark, just go a respectful distance so the scent/salt of your urine doesn't attract animals too close to the shelter.

I agree with CeeJay - generally if someone sees you heading off into the woods, or comes upon you accidentally, they will look the other way. I just try to find as big a tree (or an evergreen) as far of the path as feasible, and figure they've probably seen worse if they happen to catch a glimpse. They've probably also had someone catch them with their pants down. There just isn't that much privacy before the leaves come out.

Trajack
05-15-2006, 10:22
Get a stand to pee device. I think they were originally intended for use by female pilots but they work great in the woods. I will not hike without it.

sarbar
05-15-2006, 10:46
Jeez, I hate to say it..but it is just peeing. It isn't an art.
Heck, I am Miss Modest at home, but just step off the trail, pull pants down and go. Pull pants up.
In camp, wander a few yards from your tent and go. It is dark-no one is going to see you ;)

As for privies...why would you need one for peeing? It isn't good for privies to fill up with urine. It slows down the decomposing, and fills it up faster. Out here in the west you are encouraged to not pee in privies-especially in open air ones in alpine zones. And to pee on rocks or bare soil, so that mt goats and deer don't munch on it ;)

Once you train yourself, you can almost stand and pee as a female-you just need to get your legs apart and stick your butt out. It doesn't take longer than 30 seconds. If you modest, then have a friend keep an eye out for other hikers.

Even on busy sections of the PCT out here, one can find privacy ;)

Hana_Hanger
05-15-2006, 14:28
At night it usually is not a problem. I usually go the distance (which varies according to each site/shelter) mainly so I am not within hearing range of anyone!
During the day if one does not wear underwear and wears a hiking skirt or type of kilt or lava lava/sarong whatever. It is so easy. You are not exposed at all :)

Blissful
05-15-2006, 23:17
Generally speaking a moldering privy shouldn't be peed into.

This mostly goes for gents.

The ph of the urine inhibits the natural composting that is supposed to occur in a moldering privy. Usually there are instructions at the privy telling you this.

This is all new to me. I thought privies were for doing your business. Must be in places on the AT I've yet to see. In Virginia, there aren't any such instructions anywhere.

Yo-Yo
05-16-2006, 03:38
In group camps without privies I usually get out my rain poncho before retiring. I take it with me and use it as a privacy shield while I pee. I have mobility problems and don't go too far to pee.
you comment about having mobility problems cought my eye
I am a disabled person think about hiking the AT
would like to find out how you get along on the trail as far as like how far you can go a day and what kind of problems you have come across on the trail having the mobility problem

thanks in advanced for sharing with me

Yo-Yo
05-16-2006, 03:51
Get a stand to pee device. I think they were originally intended for use by female pilots but they work great in the woods. I will not hike without it.
where would you get one of those
that sounds like a great idea

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-16-2006, 10:43
This is a link to the disposable variety of a device that allows you to pee standing.

I'm about to commit TMI. I have had to act as an arial photographer a few times. I used a plastic funnel with a hose (http://www.parkeryamaha.com/ProductImages/nums/281336.jpg) to pee down the drain the male pilot would normally use (fear not - it evaporates completely before getting anywhere near the ground). I would think the slanted funnels (http://www.polsteins.com/prod-0066511.html) (a second model (http://www.polsteins.com/prod-0003508.html)) available in auto supply places would be a reasonably light-weight, permanent alternative to the disposable variety. It's a great idea and I will be buying a funnel today to try out.

YoYo, I'm going to start another thread about hiking with disabilities in the general forum. This is the female forum and some of the guys with disabilities don't read or post here out of respect for us ladies' privacy

Blissful
05-16-2006, 22:03
I've used something called Freshette. Campmor sells it. Except I lost the tube part in the fog one night, so have to get another one. Sigh.

Tinker
05-16-2006, 22:29
Found in Pee, ammonia kills the bugs that eat the poop. Simple.

Please don't pee in privies.

That said, I think that as long as you're far enough from the main trails in the camping area (or off the AT, out of sight), you're safe.

Your TP can be disposed of in a privy later. Please don't leave it on the ground, no matter how far from a trail. Zip lock it for future disposal.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-16-2006, 22:57
APPALACHIAN TRAIL CONFERENCE - Backcountry Sanitation Manual (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/Sanitation_Manual_rev.pdf)
Page 46 to the end discusses the backcountry privies and mentions the new designs being able to handle urine. Is this correct? It says earthworms are the composing wizards at these privies and bacteria in the soil will handle urine. The privies are designed to separate solid from liquid waste according to this manual.

Mouse
05-16-2006, 23:00
This is all new to me. I thought privies were for doing your business. Must be in places on the AT I've yet to see. In Virginia, there aren't any such instructions anywhere.

Along the AT I found just about every possible variation on mouldering privy instructions except for "Pee only". It all depends on the type of privy and the soil and moisture conditions.

The silliest was near Hanover NH where the Dartmouth outing club has a sign posted "You will notice there is no 'P' in this Rivy. Keep it that way!" Very to the point!

Tinker
05-16-2006, 23:08
APPALACHIAN TRAIL CONFERENCE - Backcountry Sanitation Manual (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/Sanitation_Manual_rev.pdf)
Page 46 to the end discusses the backcountry privies and mentions the new designs being able to handle urine. Is this correct? It says earthworms are the composing wizards at these privies and bacteria in the soil will handle urine. The privies are designed to separate solid from liquid waste according to this manual.

I haven't read the Sanitation Manual. Most of the privies I've used are the primitive "hole in the ground with a house over it". The pee is mixed with the poop when used for both. It's not a good environment for bacteria to flourish (once the ammonia levels build up). Only on two or three occasions in the Northeast have I used privies where the liquid and solid waste are separated. Unless a privy is so identified, I'll continue to pee in the woods (the trees like the nitrogen).

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-17-2006, 00:08
One of the fellows that won't post in this forum sent me this link. This just might be my answer: The Lady J (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13827&memberId=1250022)

joel137
05-17-2006, 00:22

I saw many in Virginia with instructions last year. Its usually obvious if its a moldering privy; the yucch stuff is usually exposed in a way that air can get into it, often a chicken wire cage, often there is a trashcan with leaves and pine straw for throwing on your **** afterwards and usually instructions.

If it appears to the be old fashioned one holer style privy, hut on top of a deep hole in the ground (or not so deep hole) its probably not a moldering privy

Trajack
05-17-2006, 13:03
where would you get one of those
that sounds like a great idea

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13823&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

This is the one I use. The tube colapses back into the cup so it is quite small. I keep it in a ziplock in a pocket on my bp's waist belt.

texangie
09-12-2006, 07:09
You could try any of these products:

http://www.pmate.co.uk/demonstration.html
http://www.mysweetpee.com/index.asp
http://www.shewee.com/
http://www.travelmateinfo.com/page002.html
http://www.whizproducts.co.uk/en/

I have the travelmate, but if you urinate a fast, strong stream, you may overflow the device. It can also be a bit hard to place, since the end you put to the body is smaller than most of the other products. I wouldn't wait until the last possible moment to pee!!

texangie

Tamarack
09-14-2006, 19:15
you just have to have the right stance. After many years of peeing in the woods while on Girl Guide hikes, you get alot of practice getting the right stance.

location; secluded for privacy but pay attention to the grade of the ground too. be sure to point your behind down hill. position your feet shoulder width appart a little farther apart wouldnt hurt if your able to do so. now drop your pants, panties too, down around your knees. now, (for some with knee/ankle problems you may find this position to be difficult to do.) keeping your feet planted on the ground, you bend your knees and hips so that your shoulders are right over your knees, pelvis over ground between boots. Now pee, and your boots wont get wet, except for maybe splashing like that from rain puddles or rocks. by having your shoulders over your knees or even a little further past your knees, this tilts the pelvis forward and thus making the stream go straight or arc slightly upwards, hit the ground between your boots, or between and just behind your boots. I wait till the very last moment to go. the added force and bearing down near the end keeps the stream steady, dont let it dribble and then no need for toilet paper. The only problem with this is if you're wearing an extra long shirt, sometimes the shirt tail gets damp:( , otherwise its not all that bad. :D I find this stance more comfortable than some other ways that I have heard people of going when there is no privy.

anyone else?

Michele
09-14-2006, 19:18
http://myvag.net/pee/standing/

I think it takes practice though, but I've been told it's doable.

VictoriaM
09-15-2006, 13:36
I alwsays pee standing when I hike. I don't want to take my pack off, find a hiding spot, hike my skirt all the way up, and use paper that has to be packed out. It's really very easy when you get the hang of it. The link Michele provided has good instructiona. Of course, I always hike in a skirt and go commando, which makes it much easier.

NEFFA
09-18-2006, 20:32
I wear loose shorts and pull them aside to pee. I don't use toilet paper if only peeing. I can accomplish this so fast I don't worry about being caught and can do it with the pack on, a huge benefit. The several times I get up at night its dark so I just walk a short distance and get behind something. My only problem was once when I had my period and was flowing so heavily that the next morning I went back with a shovel and buried the clots.

Hammock Hanger
09-19-2006, 07:00
I wear loose shorts and pull them aside to pee. I don't use toilet paper if only peeing. I can accomplish this so fast I don't worry about being caught and can do it with the pack on, a huge benefit. The several times I get up at night its dark so I just walk a short distance and get behind something. My only problem was once when I had my period and was flowing so heavily that the next morning I went back with a shovel and buried the clots.

Okay.... Glad this is a women's forum. Good that you were conscientious enough to clean up the area the next morning, some ladiees would not have. So glad I am all past that.