PDA

View Full Version : Good Campsites between Cooper Gap and Woody Gap GA

bigmac_in
05-14-2006, 21:59
Heading out for a section hike this Thursday (5/18). Hope to park in Cooper Gap sometime Thursday afternoon and head North. Looking for good campsites between Cooper Gap and Woody Gap for the first night. I know we could camp at Gooch Mountain Shelter, but are there other good campsites?

greentick
05-14-2006, 22:07
Probably see you out there bigmac. Me and some buds will be going from Jarrard Gap to Springer starting Friday AM.

papa john
05-14-2006, 22:10
Are you planning to leave your car at Cooper Gap? This is a wide spot in the road in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure I would do that.

There are some good campsites at Justus Creek. That's about 4 miles from Cooper Gap.

bigmac_in
05-14-2006, 22:20
Papa John - was planning on leaving the car there, but may not. There were a couple pretty large areas for parking there, as I recall from my hike last fall. Has anyone had trouble there. It is close to the Ranger training area, so that might make it a little safer?

By the way - love your pizzas........:D

bigmac_in
05-14-2006, 22:21
GreenTick - Hope we run into each other, I'll be with a couple other dudes.

Big

FatMan
05-14-2006, 22:27
Good sites at Justice Creek and several others thereafter. I feel sure your car will be fine at Cooper Gap.

papa john
05-14-2006, 23:05
I would park it at the hikerhostel and have them shuttle you over to Cooper. Cheap insurance and you will enjoy your trip much more knowing that you car is safe and sound. Plus, you get the treat of meeting Josh and Leigh Saint!

Dances with Mice
05-14-2006, 23:47
Heading out for a section hike this Thursday (5/18). Hope to park in Cooper Gap sometime Thursday afternoon and head North. Looking for good campsites between Cooper Gap and Woody Gap for the first night. I know we could camp at Gooch Mountain Shelter, but are there other good campsites? Justus Creek area, as others have said. If you get there too early, continue on. Gooch Mtn shelter area also has really nice tent pads, secluded from the shelter. Just a little bit beyond that (and downhill all the way) is Gooch Gap, with a nice camping area and a great water source.

One of my favorite 'secret' camping spots: Take the trail from Gooch Gap down towards the stream. About 3/4 or so of the way to the stream turn left and walk uphill (Trail north direction). It's a bushwhack, there's no trail. Atop that hill you can find a flat spot to set up your tent. You'll be isolated from road traffic in the Gap and you'll be looking over the same view you see looking south from the Woody Gap parking area. There's a great nightime view of the town lights in Dahlonega.

tiamalle
05-15-2006, 00:20
Justus Creek area, as others have said. If you get there too early, continue on. Gooch Mtn shelter area also has really nice tent pads, secluded from the shelter. Just a little bit beyond that (and downhill all the way) is Gooch Gap, with a nice camping area and a great water source.

One of my favorite 'secret' camping spots: Take the trail from Gooch Gap down towards the stream. About 3/4 or so of the way to the stream turn left and walk uphill (Trail north direction). It's a bushwhack, there's no trail. Atop that hill you can find a flat spot to set up your tent. You'll be isolated from road traffic in the Gap and you'll be looking over the same view you see looking south from the Woody Gap parking area. There's a great nightime view of the town lights in Dahlonega.these places all are good advise and also a little closer to Woody Gap is an unmarked campsite on the left side of the trail above Jacks Gap over looking Dahlonega with a
beautiful night view.

bigmac_in
05-15-2006, 05:56
Wow - some excellent suggestions. I'm sure I'll use one of them. I'll let everyone know next week.

By the way Papa John - we met Leigh from the Hiker Hostel last year when she gave us a shuttle. Haven't met Josh yet, but Leigh was a top notch person. Hope to get a shuttle from them again this year.

Big

Kerosene
05-15-2006, 09:26
Atop Ramrock Mountain, a mile or two south of Woody Gap, with a view of the Atlanta skyline.