PDA

View Full Version : 30 mile loops in GWNF south of Priest?

wilconow
05-15-2006, 09:28
I spend a lot of time in Massanutten Mtn and Great North Mountain. Haven't bought the guide to central virginia yet, but is there about a 20-30 mile loop around the Priest?

Thanks

Blissful
05-15-2006, 23:29
The only loop I know of near that area is the AT up Three Ridges and back down the Mar Har trail. Good circuit hike with camp sites. Only about 15 miles I think. But it's north of the Priest, starting at the Tye River.

Reg Leg Cajun
05-15-2006, 23:41
I am just getting back into the life of living out of a civilian backpack. I just bought the maps and guild book for the area that you are talking about, and I will look through them too see if your loop exists. I am planning a trip in August through that area. Starting at the Tye River and going down to the James.

Reg Leg Cajun
05-15-2006, 23:56
Looks like Blissful knows best! I don’t see any loops in the Priest area. I have spent a lot of time camping up at Crabtree Falls and there are tons of old logging roads shown on a Virginia back roads map. You could do some cross country hikes on these and make up the mileage you want to do.

Moon Monster
05-16-2006, 14:24
If you parked on the Tye River and did the loop Blissful mentions, you could add on an up and back to the Priest's summit or even so far as Spy Rock. This would bump up your mileage into your range.

There is also a figure-8 of two loops available over Cold Mt. and Mt. Pleasant. But it also would be shorter than your range unless you coupled it with some out-and-back retracing along the AT, which you could do out the Tar Jacket Ridge.

Perhaps, there are loops on the West side of the Blue Ridge Parkway also. But this whole area is mostly on ridgetops with private land in between, so there are not many loops.

Anyway, this is a very nice area, so go ahead and get the map and start planning. This whole area appears on the GWNF Pedlar Distric map. But also take a look at PATC's maps 12 and 13. I like them better and they cover more area away from the AT corridor.

wilconow
05-16-2006, 14:32
Thanks everyone. I'm going to get the maps tonight. A loop and out and back sounds good.