PDA

View Full Version : Monk on the Trail?

Buckles
05-15-2006, 13:07
In an email from a thru-hiker in Hiawassee:

"Met a guy who thinks he's a monk but he's not. He is barefoot and just wears a robe and carries a bible. No food or water or anything else for that matter. He depends on the spirit to provide as he says. I completely believe that God provides to those in needs but this guy is confused. He basically mooches off of everyone's good nature on the trail which is a bit disappointing."

Didn't get a name. Anyone else come across this guy?

neighbor dave
05-15-2006, 13:18
is his name joey??
is he from massachusetts???

galaleemc
05-15-2006, 16:50
This guy was here yesterday....he just showed up. Has on a grey woolen tunic, white long shawl with a knot tied on it, and a multi-color blanket like shawl, NO SHOES, and only his bible.

I thought he was a lady with a BIG BUNCH of TEXANS fishin up a storm here, after he took the colored shawl off, I noticed he was not a lady.
I asked one of them about the "monk" - if he worked with him and he said no. He did not know where he came from, said he just showed up. He was conversing with some of the guys, friendly enough and not pestering anyone "trying to convert them". Seemed harmess, although I was very busy, and just about the time I was going to ask if he was annoying anyone, he sat down in a chair and read his bible. Looking up sometimes, just smiling. Before I knew it, he had a beer in his hands - DRINKING IT. When the texans left, he got in the rear bed of the pickup truck and took beers out of the coolers, handing them to the occupants inside and they drove off.

This bunch was working down in Gainesville GA, heading back to Cleveland GA that night where they were staying. The boss called later and said I owe him and ten pound trout for hauling "the robe off". I told him I made no such deal. He said the monk was on a quest, trying to get to the bus station in Gainesville GA. Guess he got closer to his destination via Texans.

Laura

Nean
05-15-2006, 17:19
My first thought was, this might be the guy who wants to open the hostel in Suches!:)

KirkMcquest
05-15-2006, 17:20
mooching, imbibing, harmless, ......sounds like a monk alright. Now how about those yankees?

KirkMcquest
05-15-2006, 17:22
the greatest ball team of all time, not the pesky northerners

Nean
05-15-2006, 17:28
......sounds like a monk alright. Now how about those yankees?

I think he plays 3rd base.:D

MOWGLI
05-15-2006, 17:41
Thelonious! Where are you?

Buckles
05-15-2006, 20:27
My first thought was, this might be the guy who wants to open the hostel in Suches!:)

LOL! That's a good one! No, this guy calls himself "Mathias",

galaleemc
05-15-2006, 20:33
I am getting more information....perhaps Thelonius is chanelling here......This is the same Joey, aka Mathias

galaleemc
05-15-2006, 20:37
"mooching, imbibing, harmless, ......sounds like a monk alright"
Or could be an AT HIKER!!!! Still harmless! LOL :)

Newb
05-16-2006, 12:09
Hey, Maybe we should introduce him to that homeless guy living in the shelter from that other thread.

Gray Blazer
05-16-2006, 12:34
Thelonious! Where are you?

I think his name was Vomitous.:rolleyes:

MOWGLI
05-16-2006, 12:50
This Monk fellow. Is he the quiet type, or does he toot his horn quite a bit? :rolleyes:

D'Artagnan
05-16-2006, 13:03
mooching, imbibing, harmless, ......sounds like a monk alright.

Sounds more like a televangelist (except the "harmless" bit). :D

Or maybe he's doing some promotional work for the upcoming release of "The Da Vinci Code" directed by Ron Howard. :rolleyes:

chicote
05-16-2006, 15:11
Sounds pretty harmless. In Thailand many people become monks for a certain period of time. Two of my cousins have done so and have become better people after the fact. They do it for many reasons. One of the things they do is walk around barefoot and rely on others for food and water. In the States this is much less common. I could imagine this guys is doing something similar although in a Christian format. I couldn't imagine Buddhist's handing out beers though.

TN_Hiker
05-16-2006, 15:37
Handing out beers........sounds more like Southern Baptists

weary
05-16-2006, 16:14
In an email from a thru-hiker in Hiawassee:

"Met a guy who thinks he's a monk but he's not. He is barefoot and just wears a robe and carries a bible. No food or water or anything else for that matter. He depends on the spirit to provide as he says. I completely believe that God provides to those in needs but this guy is confused. He basically mooches off of everyone's good nature on the trail which is a bit disappointing."

Didn't get a name. Anyone else come across this guy?
Monk is not on the trail. Thelonious died quite a few years ago.

Bankrobber
05-16-2006, 17:57
I think there have been quite a few similar characters. There was one in 2003.

galaleemc
05-27-2006, 12:51
I have seen others doing such a thing for a time. Like Chicote wrote. He wasn't just handing out beers, I saw him drink one before he got into the truck as he was sitting reading his bible (it looked like a bible I did not see the text). The construction worker who was here at the same time, is here right now and he told me he saw him come down from our property, from the direction of the wilderness that does go to the AT and we hike it all the time although right now it is overgrown with poison ivey. He asked the Texan contruction worker "where are you staying tonight?" and the Texans response - was "oh no you don't". Meaning he was not letting Monk share his room. He seemed very harmless. We have had two "homeless guys" here at the hostel that were also harmless and honest. They admitted they lived on the trail....one paid and one stayed for work trade. Hey if you are hungry and thirsty.....have a beer!

LIhikers
05-27-2006, 18:08
Somebody aim this "monk" toward Graymoor.