PDA

View Full Version : campsites between Thomas Knob and Massie Gap

cutman11
05-15-2006, 22:46
I have been asked to help take a group of boy scouts and adults (16+5) on a 2 night hike thru the grayson highlands this coming weekend. The hike I anticipate doing will start at the AT spur trail in the grayson highlands park, then south on the AT to Rhododendron Gap (and perhaps as far as Thos Knob Shelter and back to Rhododendron Gap), then follow the pine mountain trail to the AT, and then south again on the AT back to massie gap. I need to have enough campsite locations for this group (tenting in 2man tents). I was thinking there would be somewhere along little wilson creek (just north of the wise shelter) for the 2nd night, but needed somewhere the 1st night. I have hiked the area before, but as many of you, was doing it solo, so didnt really think about needing enough space. I seem to recall a reasonably flat area between Rhododendron gap and Thomas Knob(? or was it before reaching Rhododendron gap?), but I dont really recall if it would be too rocky. The wilburn ridge trail also could be an option if there are any camping sites along there on the way to Rhododendron gap, but I havent walked that blue blaze to know. Anyone out there who knows where my best bet would be? I really would rather keep this crowd away from the shelter, although it will be the weekend for traildays in Damascus so expect most of the thrus to be holed up there we will probably use the Thos knob water source and streams before and at little wilson creek for water. I thought about "the scales" but I wasnt sure if camping would be allowed in the "horse pen" area.

Claudia
05-16-2006, 00:54
Just north of wise shelter there is a great place--close to the creek and a good swimming hole. The trail between Thomas Knob and Rhododendron Gap is about .8 miles and quite flat. There a lots of camp sites in that area. Ponies roam in the area which is fun or a pain depending on your attitude. There is a large area right at Rhod. Gap with a great veiw. There is supose to be a spring close by but I've never found it. Get water at Thomas Knob ( It's behind the shelter, down the rock and 50 yards through the blackberry brambles in a fenced area.) I would think blue blazed Wilburn ridge would be too rocky. It's very conciderate not bringing a group of 21 to shelters. Thank you.

jlb2012
05-16-2006, 07:24
To find the spring at Rhodo Gap locate the intersection of the Rhodo Gap Tr and the Crest Tr - go about 50 yards along the Rhodo Gap Tr then hang a right going down hill - approx 50 yards down hill you will see the fence around the spring.

cutman11
05-16-2006, 20:14
Hog on Ice, I assume the Rhododendron gap trail ends at Rhondodendron gap, but where is the "crest trail" located? I do not see that trail shown on the map from the ATC guidebook set. The map does show a water source ssw(nearly directly south) from rhododendron gap about .25mi from the AT at rhodo gap. So... would I just locate the rhodo gap trail when it crosses the AT, turn south onto the rhodo gap trail, and then find this "crest trail" intersecting the rhodo gap trail? Thanks for the info.

jlb2012
05-17-2006, 09:09
Hog on Ice, I assume the Rhododendron gap trail ends at Rhondodendron gap, but where is the "crest trail" located? I do not see that trail shown on the map from the ATC guidebook set. The map does show a water source ssw(nearly directly south) from rhododendron gap about .25mi from the AT at rhodo gap. So... would I just locate the rhodo gap trail when it crosses the AT, turn south onto the rhodo gap trail, and then find this "crest trail" intersecting the rhodo gap trail? Thanks for the info.

Here is a picture of the map for the area : http://www.fototime.com/{65941B18-EF59-4DDA-9D73-C7217F6E5B45}/picture.JPG

On the map locate trail 79 (round brown dot) - its a brown line (horse trail) this is the Rhodo Gap Tr - trail heads west until it Ts into the Crest Tr. , trail 19 (diamond brown dot) also a horse trail. To get to the Crest Tr/Rhodo Gap Tr. intersection follow the Crest Tr. south from the intersection of the AT, Crest Tr. and Pine Mtn. Tr. or just do what most people do and go through the obvious campsites next to the AT about 0.1 south of the above intersection and once you clear the trees you can easily see the sign for the intersection.

cutman11
05-18-2006, 01:11
Thanks a million -- the map link filled in the names of the trails on my map to make it clear.

The Solemates
05-18-2006, 11:45
I have been asked to help take a group of boy scouts and adults (16+5) on a 2 night hike thru the grayson highlands this coming weekend. The hike I anticipate doing will start at the AT spur trail in the grayson highlands park, then south on the AT to Rhododendron Gap (and perhaps as far as Thos Knob Shelter and back to Rhododendron Gap), then follow the pine mountain trail to the AT, and then south again on the AT back to massie gap. I need to have enough campsite locations for this group (tenting in 2man tents). I was thinking there would be somewhere along little wilson creek (just north of the wise shelter) for the 2nd night, but needed somewhere the 1st night. I have hiked the area before, but as many of you, was doing it solo, so didnt really think about needing enough space. I seem to recall a reasonably flat area between Rhododendron gap and Thomas Knob(? or was it before reaching Rhododendron gap?), but I dont really recall if it would be too rocky. The wilburn ridge trail also could be an option if there are any camping sites along there on the way to Rhododendron gap, but I havent walked that blue blaze to know. Anyone out there who knows where my best bet would be? I really would rather keep this crowd away from the shelter, although it will be the weekend for traildays in Damascus so expect most of the thrus to be holed up there we will probably use the Thos knob water source and streams before and at little wilson creek for water. I thought about "the scales" but I wasnt sure if camping would be allowed in the "horse pen" area.

im not trying to be ornery, but if you have 21 people in a group, PLEASE split them up into at least 3 different groups. especially do not camp all together. and PLEASE abide by LNT principles. I would recommend going to different areas all together. one group could go to the grayson highlands; one perhaps to the watauga area south of damascus, and one group to just north of grayson highlands.

mingo
05-18-2006, 11:50
no way should you bring 21 people. that area is already crowded on the weekends.