PDA

View Full Version : starting out with hammock in april at springer

Hangman
05-15-2006, 23:00
hello i would like to use a hammock april 07 from springer. i'm concerned about warmth what would be the ideal set up trying to go lite as possable. most likly using the hh. to start trip. thanks for any advise.

Deerleg
05-16-2006, 00:15
:welcomeIt's likely you will have some cold nights to start. I used a HH in April before without an under-quilt and it was defiantly cold when the temp dropped into the 30-40 range. It did work well however as a bivy sack in a shelter on a 20 degree night. Many have hiked the whole trail with an HH without difficulty. With the right preparation I'm sure the HH will serve you well. Good luck on your thru. Lots of good threds here to research and help you out.
Welcom to whiteblaze!

River Runner
05-16-2006, 00:58
I used my Hennessy in April (10-17) from Springer to Unicoi Gap for a section hike. I used a RidgeRest Large that I had cut down to fit the Hennessy - cut about a foot off the length and angle cut a wedge from each end to custom fit the sides. The reason I used the Large was for the extra width. It worked great, but temps were abnormally warm. The coldest night was probably upper 30's.

SGT Rock
05-16-2006, 03:34
I've used my Hennessy in the Souther Appalachians down into the teens with success. What you have to decide is how much you are willing to cary and how flexable you are ready to be when you are going to use a hammock in cold weather.

What I now carry and plan to use on my thru-hike:

60F+
-HH A-Sym ultralight w/stakes - 31.9oz
1/2" thich pad (evazote) - 9.6 ooz
Hungy Howie Quilt w/ stuff sack - 18.8oz

33F - 59F: add...
-JRB No Sniveler with cords - 19.2oz

32F and below: add...
-JRB Weatheershield system - 14.4oz

If the weather is really bad, then I set the hammock up on the ground like a bivy and ride it out for a night or two on the ground.At that point you can have the bivy safety with the extra warmth of 3.5" down loft to keep you warm.

So when I start around 1 April, that is what I will be carrying. Depending on how things go, I figure by Pearsiburg I can send the weathershield system home. when it gets really warm I may send the Hungry howie quilt home and just use the JRB No-Sniveler and pad - and only use the pad when needed.

Hangman
05-16-2006, 15:32
what kind of temps can i expect leaving april one. not sure but sounds like i need a pad, undercover, and also sleeping bag (20 degree). does that sound right to all the hh users out there?

peter_pan
05-16-2006, 17:59
Humvee aka Reality Check successfully thrued in 2005...Hammocked all the way....He used a HH and a JRB Three Season Set of quilts...He has posted several comments about this hike and this gear here on WB... Search for his comments.

Pan

hammock engineer
05-16-2006, 19:14
The good or bag news is you are not starting until next year. Use this summer to perfect your hanging and setup skills. Then use this winter to perfect or cold weather skills.

I made it into the teens using the JRB underquilt, pad, 15 degree bag, and some clothes. I am confident I can make it close to 0 degrees in the hammock with that setup. I would set vary the clothes I wear. I think that on the ground either in the hammock as a bivy or in a shelter, I can make it well below 0.

Plenty of time to test (aka excusses to hike or camp in the back yard).

Deerleg
05-16-2006, 22:59
what kind of temps can i expect leaving April one. not sure but sounds like i need a pad, undercover, and also sleeping bag (20 degree). does that sound right to all the hh users out there?

In April you can expect all the temps mentioned in Rock's post above and maybe a couple of nights in the low 20s. So you may start out with the warmer gear and then ship some home when things moderate.

Tinker
05-16-2006, 23:21
http://community.webshots.com/album/237103382ByZIeG

I find the Hennessy Hammock to be welcome in warmer weather, since it doesn't wrap around you like a standard "burrito" hammock does, but the "burrito" hammock uses less material, so it's lighter. I weighed this setup once but forgot what the weight was. I know the bag is 2lb. 2oz. I think the hammock is 14 oz. with the ropes. If so, this is a 3lb. setup plus the tarp. I've used both my HH tarp (I tied hooks to the hammock line with prussik knots and used the tarp just as I would on the HH with the exception of hooking the sides of the tarp to the hammock) and an ultralight poncho/tarp I got from Mountain Laurel Designs. When I hiked the Georgia section in March, I brought a Hilleberg Akto tent, ccf pad, and a 15 degree bag. I was overly warm most nights. The coldest night was on Springer (just below freezing - ice in water bottles). Most nights were in the 45-55 degree range. It was unseasonably warm. When I do the N.C. section (hopefully, next spring), I will probably use the hammock setup in the picture, and maybe bring a ccf pad just in case.

Hangman
05-17-2006, 15:10
thanks everyone for the info. going to be expermenting with all the different info i gotten from the formums here. i really hope i can make it work with the hammock the whole trail. just a little concerned in beginning month with working what to carry that wont exceed by base weight.