PDA

View Full Version : Floods in New England

Patco
05-16-2006, 09:28
Has anyone heard if all the streams up in New England, where they've had over 20 inches of rain is some spots, are passable? New York, Mass, Conn, Vermont and maybe New Hamp have gotten a real soaking. I feel sorry for the hikers out there the past 5 days. (5-15-06)

neighbor dave
05-16-2006, 09:41
http://www.wmur.com/news/9214111/detail.html

Jaybird
05-16-2006, 09:46
Has anyone heard if all the streams up in New England, where they've had over 20 inches of rain is some spots, are passable? New York, Mass, Conn, Vermont and maybe New Hamp have gotten a real soaking. I feel sorry for the hikers out there the past 5 days. (5-15-06)

According to CBS News reports this morning (5/16)....this is the worse flooding in 50 years...in that particular area.:D

JJB
05-16-2006, 10:08
The local news outlets are saying that on the north shore of Mass it is the worst flooding since 1938. Screws me up to no end. I have an interveiw tomorrow in the western part of the state and I had 3-4 dayer planned afterwards. I'm still bring the pack, but I think it's awash, literaly.

Alligator
05-16-2006, 10:23
The local news outlets are saying that on the north shore of Mass it is the worst flooding since 1938. Screws me up to no end. I have an interveiw tomorrow in the western part of the state and I had 3-4 dayer planned afterwards. I'm still bring the pack, but I think it's awash, literaly.Probably tough on the folks whose houses are getting washed out too. Hope any affected WB regulars are staying safe.

icemanat95
05-16-2006, 10:25
The storm damage and flooding is largely confined to the northeast corner of Mass and the southeast corners of New Hampshire and Maine. Whereas most of the good hiking in Mass is in the extreme west of the state while New hampshire's best hiking is in the White Mountains on the western side of the state and the north.

I'm in Southwestern NH and while there is some high water in the streams and rivers, its not at flood stage. As you go west, things get better.

icemanat95
05-16-2006, 10:40
I guess the Lakes Region of NH was hit pretty hard as well.

oruoja
05-16-2006, 10:43
For those heading into the area, western mass did not get hard (per my son at school in Amherst), and up north into Vermont it has been mostly only a long stretch of cloudy and showery days. The trails up here in Vt are still pretty muddy, but that's the way they always are at this time of year. My inlaws down in Manchester and Hooksett, NH, now that's a different story.

prana'smom
05-16-2006, 10:54
Plymouth, NH is wet but paved roads are still pretty passable. The unpaved roads are probably redining the term "mud season". We thought we'd avoided it becasue of the dry winter and spring (before last Friday, anyway), but here it is. Hiking trails must be running streams at this point. The good news is that what makes this be "the granite state" is the rock so it'll probably dry out pretty quickly. For any hikers, though, these are perfect conditions for black flies, so it'll be muddy, wet and buggy:(

weary
05-16-2006, 15:47
I guess the Lakes Region of NH was hit pretty hard as well.
I live on a peninsula a little north of east of Portland. (ENE?) The rain has messed up tilling my garden, but has done no other particular problems. York County, south of Portland, is getting all the flood waters.

Weary

sleepwalker
05-16-2006, 16:22
I was in Lanesboro and N. Adams, MA today and the housatonic river wasn't as high as I'd seen it in the recent past. I'm sure the trail through Greylock is soggy but safe otherwise. Off the AT, the Catskills got slammed on Friday-Saturday with 12+ inches and all creeks and streams are extremely swollen.

atraildreamer
05-16-2006, 22:08
It's pretty wet down here in L'IL Rhody! The rivers are at near flood stage, but nothing too serious yet. You should see the water blasting straight out 20 feet over the dam on the Blackstone River next to the Old Slater Mill!
Finally saw the sun and some blue sky today about 1/2 hour before sunset. Looking forward to 70's weather and some wind tomorrow to dry things out a bit.

I have been feeding the squirrels (3 of them-"Moe, Larry and Curly") out back. They have been suffering from this weather. As soon as they spot me heading to my car, they come down out of their tree nests and line up for some of the peanuts that I keep in the car. They have the eating capacity of a hungry hiker at an all-you-can eat buffet!

I bet a lot of hikers are now reconsidering the Ray Jardine umbrella idea.

Sorcerer
05-17-2006, 05:42
and personally, it's a little foul. Not awful, but of course I've decided to wait out a lot of it.

When I went over Moosilauke the other day there was still a ton of snow and ice on the north side (i.e. the steep part down into Kinsman's notch). It was pretty scary. I was very glad I was going up instead of down! Even then there were a few parts where I had to dig a shoe in, dig a pole in, and pray that something held so I could push off. I didn't fall, but I slipped and slid a lot.

The trail itself was a running river. Waterproof shoes/boots don't do you much good, since it's up over your ankles a lot of the time.

It's supposed to lighten up at least and get a bit warmer over the next week. It's been in the mid 50's for highs and mid 40's for lows. It's supposed to creep up to mid 60's and even low 70s next week for highs! (at the lower elevations of course). :banana

Mags
05-17-2006, 13:09
It's pretty wet down here in L'IL Rhody! The rivers are at near flood stage, but nothing too serious yet.

I visited my family last week in RI. Could not believe how much rain there was this past week!!! As I mentioned earlier, went to family first communion. My poor cousin was planning a backyard type of event. Instead, we all had to cram into the house. Sure he was not the only one who to make alternative plans this past Sunday!

Thankful I am back in CO with all the sunshine.

My flight was delayed from Logan. As I had a late flight on Jet Blue, did not get back in my apt until 2AM MDT!!! (or 4am according to my "body clock"). Woo, was I tired. :-)

springerfever
05-17-2006, 13:23
saw a clip of the Kennebec River the other day....looked like Class IV rapids.

Peaks
05-17-2006, 16:31
saw a clip of the Kennebec River the other day....looked like Class IV rapids.

Sections of the Kennebec always have class IV rapids. That's what makes the river the white water capital of New England.

The Solemates
05-17-2006, 16:57
http://www.wmur.com/news/9214111/detail.html

wow some of those are really bad. i hope this all subsides soon.

MileMonster
05-19-2006, 21:11
No flooding here in Hanover but it sure has been wet. More rain today. The rivers and streams are up, but not floding.

atraildreamer
05-20-2006, 02:45
Why is it that 5 minutes after a week's worth of rain stops the car winshield is dirty again? :-? ...and there is fresh bird turd on the paint? :eek:

chip B
05-20-2006, 08:15
i just came out of the 100 mile wilderness in maine.. some of the trail is completly under water.. especially one of the lakes where the trail follows the edge was up to my waist and couldnt find the trail mark to follow back into the woods which is a lot of muck the streams are real high and flowing you must also ford more of them then usual i was heading south.. lots of moose got off at whites landing again will try again maybe some day

Mr. Clean
05-20-2006, 20:28
Just got back from the Mahoosucs and the trails are actual streams. Sunk in over my knee caps in several moose wallows, and couldn't even see the puncheons to walk on, though I did get my foot caught between two of them for a while. Be aware, the puncheons, or boardwalks north of Mt. Success are extremely slippery. I almost went down a few times, but my poles stopped me. Still some snow and ice here and there, but none on the trails. That granite sure gets slippery, though.

TJ aka Teej
05-20-2006, 21:24
Just got back from the Mahoosucs
Hi Greg,
Do you know if the Success Pond Rd is open from the Maine side? (It's called York Pond(??) Rd from Rt 26)
thanks,
Teej

Mr. Clean
05-21-2006, 06:51
Teej, I didn't go that far, but the road was in great shape on the Berlin end. Only one active logging op on that end. Not much traffic.

JJB
05-21-2006, 08:10
I didn't go on the interview, but did get out on the trail. Did a section from White Rocks to Peru Peak Vt. It was nice to get out but it was wet. Stayed in the Peru Peak shelter all day friday cause the rain was just crazy. The trail most of the way up to the peak was like hiking in stream bed. Was holed up in the Peru Peak shelter with two others who did hike in the rain on friday and it seamed that they were dangeriously cold.