PDA

View Full Version : What to use to keep a digital camera dry

roger_friesen
03-03-2003, 10:02
Any suggestions? I'm guessing the solutions can range from a ziploc bag to a hard case like a Pelican. What is most practical?

Footslogger
03-03-2003, 10:55
Have had my little digital for about 6 months now and so far ...no problems. I use a "pint" size freezer strength zip lock and I put some of those dessicant packets inside.

Plan to carry it that way on my thru this year.

RagingHampster
03-03-2003, 11:02
Ziplock. The EasySlider type.

Kerosene
03-03-2003, 12:11
Good idea on the dessicant packets, 'slogger.

Footslogger
03-03-2003, 12:17
Yeah ...figured there had to be a good reason they stick those packets into the shipping boxes for electronics. Not sure if they will absorb all the moisture, but it can't hurt to have them in there.

RagingHampster
03-03-2003, 12:40
We use dessicant in our lab at work. The functional life of descicant is very short, especially little packets. It works well when placed in a sealed container which is rarely opened, but in a bag which your pulling your camera in and out of it can be useless in a matter of hours.

Footslogger
03-03-2003, 12:46
Oh man ...talk about raining on my parade !! Well, RH, I guess I'll have to use my camera sparingly then or put a whole mess of those little packets in my baggie.

Darn ...and I thought that was a pretty good idea.

RagingHampster
03-03-2003, 13:36
LOL sorry!

We use big metal cookie sheets, and buy dessicant in bulk. We pour it on the trays and slide it into sample boxes. If you leave the sample box open for 5 or 6 hours, 2 or 3 pounds of dessicant can be rendered useless. One tip for reuse is to bake it, which removes the moisture again. This can only be done 3 or 4 times though. A small paper package with a couple grams of dessicant in it would probably function properly for a few hours to a day depending on how often you opened the bag.