PDA

View Full Version : New Rain Jacket

Bblue
05-16-2006, 10:14
I'm going to buy a new rain jacket. I've used Drop Stoppers and now I have Frogg Toggs, but I'm looking for something less bulky. I've seen the other threads about rain jackets, but have not seen Big Sky or Railriders mentioned.

My criteria are:

Hand Pockets
Some kind of venting, thru the pockets would be okay
Full zip
9 oz or less

I've narrowed it down to these (3)

Patagonia Specter 8.5 oz (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00374.html)
Big Sky Warm-n-Cozy 9.4 oz (http://www.bigskyproducts.com/Warm-n-Cozy/Warm-n-CozyEpicJacketdetails.htm)
Railriders Aqua Rain Shell 9 oz (http://www.railriders.com/store/RailRiders___Men_s___Jackets_SweatersAQS?Args=)

I've seen reviews of the Specter, but has anyone tried the other two?
I've read that Big Sky is very slow shipping their tents. Is this true for their clothing as well?

chicote
05-16-2006, 12:38
Wow that Railriders looks to be the right price. Never heard of them before though. But would probably go for that just on price.

Kerosene
05-16-2006, 13:06
The Patagonia Specter product described on the backpackinglight.com link doesn't appear to be available on the patagonia.com website. There is a Specter Pullover at 6.5 oz, but that lacks any venting options.

Note that the Big Sky is water resistant, not waterproof.

I hadn't seen the Railriders product before. At 9 oz it's the same weight as my Frogg Toggs jacket, but it has torso vents, waterproof zippers, and an articulated hood.

Buckles
05-16-2006, 13:07
Marmot Pre-Cip. Jacket and Pants. Love them.

Cedar Tree
05-16-2006, 18:54
My criteria are:

Hand Pockets
Full zip
9 oz or less

Check out the Packa, vents better than anything, full zip, just over 9 oz. and that includes your packcover, only 1 pocket though.
www.thepacka.com

Cedar Tree

Rustle
05-16-2006, 20:36
I'm going to buy a new rain jacket. I've used Drop Stoppers and now I have Frogg Toggs, but I'm looking for something less bulky. I've seen the other threads about rain jackets, but have not seen Big Sky or Railriders mentioned.

My criteria are:

Hand Pockets
Full zip
9 oz or less

I've narrowed it down to these (3)

Patagonia Specter 8.5 oz (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00374.html)
Big Sky Warm-n-Cozy 9.4 oz (http://www.bigskyproducts.com/Warm-n-Cozy/Warm-n-CozyEpicJacketdetails.htm)
Railriders Aqua Rain Shell 9 oz (http://www.railriders.com/store/RailRiders___Men_s___Jackets_SweatersAQS?Args=)

I've seen reviews of the Specter, but has anyone tried the other two?
I've read that Big Sky is very slow shipping their tents. Is this true for their clothing as well?
Bblue

Sort of off subject, but what did you think about the drop stoppers and FTs??
I'm looking at new raingear as well . . . thanks for any info!

Bblue
05-16-2006, 21:05
Rustle,
I have used both and the nice thing about them is their breathability. Cost on the Dropstoppers is unbeatable: $20. Dropstoppers aren't very durable, but you can replace them at that price.

They failed me in a major rain storm once, so I only use them as emergency raingear in summer conditions now. The failure was due to me crawling around on rock setting up a low tarp. It just shredded the pants especially.

Frogg Toggs are breathable and I've found them durable as well. They kind of get fuzzy and worn looking, but they keep on working. What I don't like about them is the bulk. They take alot of space in the pack.

Of what I've tried I like the Frogg Toggs best so far. A friend has the Specter, purchased on eBay for around $100. I works great and packs down real small. I'm keeping an eye on eBay for one. I don't think it's as breathable as the FTs or the Drop Stoppers, but it has some very nice venting and I like the pockets, something the FTs and Dropstoppers don't have.

If the Epic in the Warm-n-Cozy is only water resistant, then it's out. And no one seems to know much about the fabric in the RR Aqua Rain, so I'm continuing to research. That's part of the fun anyway, I think.

Hope this helps.

Tinker
05-16-2006, 23:50
My experience with them is that they are extremely delicate (I say flimsy), and aren't noticeably "breathable" while hiking (or biking, where I've worn the top several times). They pack small, but I accidentally dropped a fleece jacket on a hanger while hanging up the Drop Stoppers Jacket next to it, and the hanger (wire) went right through the hood driven only by the weight of the fleece jacket. The pants got pretty shredded on a local dayhike on established trails. They snag fairly easily and puncture very easily. I woldn't take them on a long hike (I took my Precip jacket and Red Ledge pants on my Ga. section hike in March - relatively heavy, but reliable).

JoeHiker
05-24-2006, 12:25
It's a shame that more manufacturers don't make jackets out of eVENT. Waterproof yet more breathable than anything out there.

I have the Integral Designs jacket -- don't bother it doesn't meet your criteria -- and I love it but there are a few improvements I wish they would have made.

Moon Monster
05-24-2006, 12:40
I'm curious about the Railriders' weight for a larger size and with a hood. I wonder if the 9 oz. listing is for small and without a hood. For my size (large), this could mean the weight is right back up there with most $100 shells (Marmot Precip and the like.)

Otherwise, good find at that price. Thanks for the link, even if I have no answer for your question.

rswanson
05-24-2006, 15:28
Maybe I just hike more gingerly than the other owners of the Dropstoppers suit but they have yet to let me down. I haven't done any bushwhacking in them but I've hiked through some relatively overgrown trails in southern PA, where rocks abound, as well. No rips, snags, or tears so far. My wife experienced similar results. Carrying 25-40 lb loads, including usual trail climbs, in temps ranging from 45-70 degrees F, I have found them to be at least as breathable as any other rain gear I have used (including $200+ Goretex jackets), with little or no prespiration retained under the material. Breathability was evident when observing lack of surface condensation between the tops of folds and wrinkles on our fleece jackets when used under the shell.

The biggest down side, as noted by others, is durability. Even though I have yet to experience it, knees and elbows look prone to splitting, as does the seat and crotch of the pants if placed under moderate stress. The fabric will readily accept duct tape for immediate field repair (tested). The hood is not articulated very well, with only a simple drawstring and little anatomical shaping in the hood design. The suit is somewhat bulkier than some other options, but not excessively so. Cosmetically, the suit is not much to look at, if this matters to you. Overall, when considering the very low price point (Mine were $15) for a piece of equipment that leaves my pack only infrequently, I found it to be unbeatable in value and performance. considering the limited investment its at least worth experimenting with a suit yourself.

Footslogger
05-24-2006, 15:54
Check out the Packa, vents better than anything, full zip, just over 9 oz. and that includes your packcover, only 1 pocket though.
www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com)

Cedar Tree
==================================
Even with only the one pocket, the Packa still gets my vote !!

'Slogger

Cedar Tree
05-24-2006, 19:34
It's a shame that more manufacturers don't make jackets out of eVENT. Waterproof yet more breathable than anything out there.

I have the Integral Designs jacket -- don't bother it doesn't meet your criteria -- and I love it but there are a few improvements I wish they would have made.

I have 1 eVent Packa ready to go, and enough material left for one more. I sold 2 eVent Packas at Trail Days. Venting and the most breathable fabric? What rain gear could possibly do that?
www.thepacka.com
CT

sarbar
05-24-2006, 22:55
I have 1 eVent Packa ready to go, and enough material left for one more. I sold 2 eVent Packas at Trail Days. Venting and the most breathable fabric? What rain gear could possibly do that?
www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com)
CT

How in the heck have I missed your stuff? That is a very sweet product! For the off season in the rain forests here in WA, that would be so cool to have!

Bblue
06-08-2006, 22:24
Just to follow up on this. I ordered an Aqua Shell from Railriders for $99 -advertised at just 9 oz. On my scale it weighed 15.7 oz. Needless to say it's going back. The hood is not detachable either, so i don't know how they came up with their weight.

I ordered the last Patagonia Spector on sale at Altrec for $165

I guess if it sounds to good too be true, it is too good to be true.

Moon Monster
06-09-2006, 16:11
so i don't know how they came up with their weight.

What size did you order? My guess again is that they're advertising the weight of the small. Even Marmot lists the PreCip weight with the size of its small without mentioning that explicitly.

Bblue
06-09-2006, 16:54
I ordered a medium. The small would have to be pretty darn small to make up over 6 oz.

DLFrost
06-11-2006, 01:46
I'm going to buy a new rain jacket. I've used Drop Stoppers and now I have Frogg Toggs, but I'm looking for something less bulky.
One item worth a look is the Outfitter Lodge Performance Rainwear rain jacket sold at Dick's Sporting Goods for $40. This uses the "hydroProof Ultra" breathable coating on ripstop nylon. I'd guess the weight at around 8-9 ounces. This jacket has features built into it that suggest someone was really paying attention. A few of note: Seam-sealed with tape along all stitching, full length zipper with under-flap, slant-seam front mesh pockets with large overflaps & zippers (all zippers have pulls), vented-cape back (mesh inside) with 3 points smoothly sewn down against wind-driven rain, bungie & cordlock drawcord waist, velcro wrist and hood adjustment, bungie & cordlock drawcord in hood with hold-down tubes so the bungie ends don't flap in your face (very nice), well-adjusted fit that allows movement (not "grabby" at all).

I can't vouch for waterproofness though because I got mine on a $10 markdown only recently for fly fishing--the emerald green is much more stealthy than my orange backpacking PreClip--and haven't tested it. But it looks well made and you can't beat the price.

Doug Frost

Bblue
06-19-2006, 23:04
Ended up buying the Specter. Just back from a wet week of backpacking and I'm here to testify that the Specter performed very well.

We had insidious fog one night that managed to wet pretty much everything. Followed by 24 hrs of Rain/Mist/Fog. Spent the entire time in the Specter. Even sleeping. I needed the extra warmth, since my down bag got a little wet too.

Had a fire the second day and managed to dry most things between squalls.

Anyway the Spector, which I got on sale for $165 in an ugly green color, really worked well. I wore it hiking, sleeping, fire stoking; it was great.