PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with disabilities / challenges

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-16-2006, 10:47
This topic started inthe female forum, but I'm starting it here so the fellows will be comfortable sharing.
you comment about having mobility problems cought my eye.
I am a disabled person thinking about hiking the AT and would like to find out how you get along on the trail as far as like how far you can go a day and what kind of problems you have come across on the trail having the mobility problem.

thanks in advanced for sharing with me

MOWGLI
05-16-2006, 10:56
I take groups of blind & visually impaired students our for short hikes each year. It helps build their confidence in life, and makes them want to get back outside with their families.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-16-2006, 12:13
I don't normally share the details of what happened on the Net, but I want this thread to show that people can continue to hike even after serious injuries and with permanent disabilities.

I was hit head-on by a young man who was very high on drugs 8/6/2004. Prior to this, the male dino and I were preparing to section hike the AT after his retirement on 8/30/2004.

We had already completed Springer to Unicoi Gap in two weekend trips to test gear and talk with thru-hikers about how they prepared.

My disability is a Trendelenburg gait (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/hip/hip%20clin%20correl/corr6.html) secondary to having a fracture to the proximal femur ("hip" fracture in lay terms) (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/hip/hip%20clin%20correl/corr2.html) and having my mid-femur broken into a number of pieces. I have damage to my Anterior tibial artery (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/arteries-nerves%20LE/arteries4.html) which cause severe cramping at times. I also have damage to the femural nerve (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/arteries-nerves%20LE/nerves1.html). which prevents my vastus lateralis muscle (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/knee/muscles/thigh1.html) from being under my voluntary control and serious weakening of other muscles in the area. I also have abductor damage. (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/knee/muscles/thigh2.html) This weakness in the right thigh coupled with the Trendelenburg gait causes pain in the lower back, hip and knee. My left knee also has some nerve damage, but it has not affected my ability to hike - it is numb on the side next to my right knee.

Before this, I hiked at about 2.5 MPH without a pack and 2.3 MPH with a pack. Today, I hike at about 1.2 to 1.5 MPH without a pack and 1 MPH with a pack. I use two offset canes to hike in a manner similar to how most use trekking poles. The canes are far heavier (almost 1 pound each) and more sturdy than trekking poles - I can arrest a fall by putting my full weight on either cane - a maneuver that would bend even the sturdiest trekking poles. I have also been known to hook an off-set cane over a root and hand-over-hand my way up some steep scrambles.

As to adaptations -
I switched to an ultralight pack since my max carry weight is about 18 pounds - any more and my leg starts giving way after a couple of miles.

I switched from trail runners to a light-weight boot (Hi-Tec Sierra V-Lites without goretex).

We switched from a 9 x 9 coated tarp to a lighter, but larger 9 x 12 sil-nylon tarp. We switch to an inexpensive bivy-style tent with a slant door (http://www.texsport.net/knollwood-bivy-shelter-tent-p-43.html) that weighs only 3 pounds - our total shelter weight is 4 #, 3 ozs for the two of us. The only way for me to get up from sitting on the ground or laying down is to turn over on my stomach, draw my legs up underneath me and "walk' my hands back to my feet - in other words, my arms do the work of pushing me up that my right leg can no longer do. This is why I needed a tent with a slanted door - my butt can get high enough with the door unzipped for me to get up while my knees/ hands remain on the unmuddy tent floor. The larger tarp allows us to tarp over places with large rocks for me to use to sit on or as support for getting up. It is physically impossible for me to squat down to cook or to potty.

This is how I potty in the wilderness without being able to squat. I find a small tree that I can lock my fingers around and use that to support me while I squat to pee or poop. Then I bury the wastes per LNT methods.

I switched from a Ridgerest mat (http://www.dagevi.com/sanal/images/ridgerest.jpg) to a Big Anges Insulated Air Core (http://gallery.rei.com/media/713600_321Prd.jpg). This is a 2.5" mat that has to be manually blown up every night. It is worth it for the comfort it provides. My hip and leg have lots of metal inside and that requires lots of padding and warmth.

I designed a two person sleep system tailored to our needs. It fits my mat and his Thermarest Pro4. It has a quilt with draft guards rather than a sleeping bag, but can be enclosed in either lightweight fleece bags (adds about 12 degrees warmth) or could be used inside or under a heavier bag(s). The quilt is designed with extra insulation on my side because I'm a cold sleeper and the hip / leg must be kept warm. The sleep system also has a detactable 'quilt' that is 72" x 6" and goes between our mats. This gives me the leeway to adjust the leg at night for comfort without freezing and the fact that it is detachable allows me to use it to wrap around the leg / hip for warmth while hiking or during rest breaks. This hip / leg will not work unless it is kept warm so this mini-quilt is vital to my ability to hike.

Yo-Yo
05-16-2006, 12:33
REALY WOW that is great. That one of my disabilities. I never counted it as one though becaue I was born legally blind
but if I did a thru-hike I do know that would be one of the things I would have to conciderfor reasons like not being able to read the maps or guide books
I can read them on my computer as i have a screen reader/magnifyer
then there would be the thing of not seeing the wite blazes too
I do have a little vision I can see like the outline shape and the colors of stuff
for example I can see a tree and know it's a tree but can not see the details like the leafs it just looks all green to me where they are or the texture of the bark i can not see unless i am up close like maybe 6 inches
HA HA HA HA HA oh yeah that includes people to I can see a person but not the details of their face so you all would be able to make faces at me onthe trail and I would never know unless some one told on you
I sure hope this thread will give tips on how some one with bad vision can do the whole AT safely
I also have autheritis that is the one I am mainly couting as my disability as it limits how far and how fast I can walk
and hate to say it but right now my weight would count as one I am WAAAAAAAAY over weight
at least that on e I can work on

MOWGLI
05-16-2006, 12:45
I sure hope this thread will give tips on how some one with bad vision can do the whole AT safely

If you haven't already, you should read Blind Courage by Bill Irwin. He is blind and walked the whole trail with a guide dog. It is also available as an audio book. http://www.billirwin.com/products.cfm

That should give you some insight into the task at hand. I would suggest you work on losing some weight, find a trusted partner, and start off slow. Good luck!

icemanat95
05-16-2006, 13:18
Ms. Dino, I'm amazed and humbled by what you have been willing to do to keep hiking despite adversity. That's inspiring.

Yo-Yo
05-16-2006, 18:37
If you haven't already, you should read Blind Courage by Bill Irwin. He is blind and walked the whole trail with a guide dog. It is also available as an audio book. http://www.billirwin.com/products.cfm

That should give you some insight into the task at hand. I would suggest you work on losing some weight, find a trusted partner, and start off slow. Good luck!
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
sorry not laughing at what you wrote but how big you wrote it.
True I said I am blind but if you read the whole thing I said I use a screen reader/magnifyer on my computer
HA HA HA HA HA HA man I got to your messages and had to reduce the magnification you had it so big one leter was taking up the whole screen

Well now that I got that out of my system. back to what was in your message. I will indeed check out this book am going to call the library and see if they have it on tape through the library for the blind

I remember hearing about the guy back in the late 90s when I lived in MA can't remember how I heard it if it was the news or some one told me but then I never did hear any more about it

I do not have a dog I do have a cane but don't use it as I use a walker because of my authoritis. Even before I got the authoritis I never had a dog alway thought it to much work and to much money. Always said I would rather just have my cane sit in the corner and wait till I was ready to go out then have to take it out on a walk 5 or 6 times a day rain snow sleet or shine pluss i don't have to feed the cane eather. is what I always said

Guess I am more cocerned with the walking asspect of it with teh authoritis I am sure I would be able to find some one on here once I was ready to do the hike to be a hiking partner with me. HA HA HA HA it will have to be some one that would not mind hiking slow and could put up with some one that has a strainge sence of humor

any way if you by chance reply back to this
you don't have to write so big just write the same as you always do
but thanks I understand you thought you would make it easyer for me by doing it

Ewker
05-16-2006, 18:49
True I said I am blind but if you read the whole thing I said I use a screen reader/magnifyer on my computer
HA HA HA HA HA HA man I got to your messages and had to reduce the magnification you had it so big one leter was taking up the whole screen

that's funny

Yo-Yo
05-16-2006, 18:51

WOW I just went to that web site and seen they want 20 bucks for that book
well this big gal is an el-cheap-o I ain't paying that much for a book
think I will stick with the library idea
I looked at the book on tape to they have it is an adbridged bood
I hate them kind you don't get half the book
like I said gonna check the talking book library tomorrow they are already closed for to day just tryed calling them

MOWGLI
05-16-2006, 19:57

Sorry about that. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-16-2006, 20:43
The over-sized type was too funny. Yo-Yo, I hope you can find Bill Irwin's book in its entirety. It is wonderful.

River Runner
05-17-2006, 00:18
Ms. Dino,

Your story is inspiring. Kudos to you.

starvingmusician
05-17-2006, 07:43
Gee - where do I start?

I have two total knee replacements, and will probably need a new hip in about 5 years or so. I've had arthritis since I was 20, and am 47. I was also involved in a head-on collision (all-too familiar story, dino) and suffered a head injury and was diagnosed with epilepsy in 1996. I take medication to control my seizures and have a Vagus Nerve Stimulator (vns) implanted in my chest wall. One of the anti-convulsants I had been taking left me bloated and contributed to a weight gain of about 80 pounds.

I've only recently started to hike, and am planning a section on the AT in VA late this summer (July-Aug is the only time I could get). I'm finding that my biggest obstacles aren't my knees, which are doing just fine -- I use poles (but I'd consider taking a cane, dino, if it didn't aggravate the arthritis in my hands). I am concerned about the prospect of having to crawl on all fours -- you're not supposed to kneel when you have TKR. I went from a tent to a hammock, but I realize hammocks aren't for everyone. Sometimes the motion gets to me (or is it the sense of motion? Because I'll think the hammock is moving, but I look around and clearly I'm NOT moving. Maybe it's a lack of being grounded?).

My biggest obstacle right now is the vns. Briefly, this device send an electrical impulse to the brain via the Vagus Nerve -- a 30 second cycle on, 5 minute cycle off. The trouble is, when I am active -- walking, fencing, biking -- when the blasted thing cycles on, it sends my larynx/pharynx? into spasms and I struggle to breathe. Sort of a pseudo-asthma attack. When I bike, I can usually just coast if I have trouble breathing. Actually, my mouth gets dry about 10 seconds before the vns cycles on, so I have a few seconds to prepare.

Hyperventilating in the woods last month climbing up a ridge while having this thing cycle on every 5 minutes was not fun. I measured my progress by counting trees, not miles. FWIW female dino -- I average 1 mph with a full pack too. I had to cancel my neuro appointment last week because my son graduated from Marine boot camp at Parris Island on Friday... the next appointment I could get is September 15th. I'm going to call my neuro's office today and tell them I need to see him for 5 minutes to have him turn this blasted device OFF, at least for the summer. He can increase my medications if he wants to, I don't care -- but I can't keep living this way.

The bright spot? I'm off the medication that caused the weight gain. I've actually started to lose some weight -- not much, about 15 of those 80 pounds.

My immediate hiking plans are a nice level 80 miler on the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal with a bunch of Boy Scouts starting June 4. Wish me luck with the neuro, please.

Judy

Yo-Yo
05-17-2006, 10:12
Sorry about that. ;)
that is ok I am use to stuff like that
it just tickles me some times
that is not as bad as when your standing a a street corner waiting for a buss and some one comes along thinking your wanting to cross the street and half drags you across
you about have to beat them with our cane and tell them you were waiting for the buss not wanting to cross the road for the to let you go
or when they talk loud cause they think if your blind your deaf too

Yo-Yo
05-17-2006, 10:40
Gee - where do I start?

I have two total knee replacements, and will probably need a new hip in about 5 years or so. I've had arthritis since I was 20, and am 47. I was also involved in a head-on collision (all-too familiar story, dino) and suffered a head injury and was diagnosed with epilepsy in 1996. I take medication to control my seizures and have a Vagus Nerve Stimulator (vns) implanted in my chest wall. One of the anti-convulsants I had been taking left me bloated and contributed to a weight gain of about 80 pounds.

I've only recently started to hike, and am planning a section on the AT in VA late this summer (July-Aug is the only time I could get). I'm finding that my biggest obstacles aren't my knees, which are doing just fine -- I use poles (but I'd consider taking a cane, dino, if it didn't aggravate the arthritis in my hands). I am concerned about the prospect of having to crawl on all fours -- you're not supposed to kneel when you have TKR. I went from a tent to a hammock, but I realize hammocks aren't for everyone. Sometimes the motion gets to me (or is it the sense of motion? Because I'll think the hammock is moving, but I look around and clearly I'm NOT moving. Maybe it's a lack of being grounded?).

My biggest obstacle right now is the vns. Briefly, this device send an electrical impulse to the brain via the Vagus Nerve -- a 30 second cycle on, 5 minute cycle off. The trouble is, when I am active -- walking, fencing, biking -- when the blasted thing cycles on, it sends my larynx/pharynx? into spasms and I struggle to breathe. Sort of a pseudo-asthma attack. When I bike, I can usually just coast if I have trouble breathing. Actually, my mouth gets dry about 10 seconds before the vns cycles on, so I have a few seconds to prepare.

Hyperventilating in the woods last month climbing up a ridge while having this thing cycle on every 5 minutes was not fun. I measured my progress by counting trees, not miles. FWIW female dino -- I average 1 mph with a full pack too. I had to cancel my neuro appointment last week because my son graduated from Marine boot camp at Parris Island on Friday... the next appointment I could get is September 15th. I'm going to call my neuro's office today and tell them I need to see him for 5 minutes to have him turn this blasted device OFF, at least for the summer. He can increase my medications if he wants to, I don't care -- but I can't keep living this way.

The bright spot? I'm off the medication that caused the weight gain. I've actually started to lose some weight -- not much, about 15 of those 80 pounds.

My immediate hiking plans are a nice level 80 miler on the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal with a bunch of Boy Scouts starting June 4. Wish me luck with the neuro, please.

Judy
ok. my puestion to you guys is can a person do a through hike if they hike at 1mph that is most likely what I will hike at with my arthoritis
I to have it in my hand
HA HA HA well more like all over. but it bothers me most in my legs and on my arms and hands
I use those things you but on your hands for suposrt some time think they are called rist braces that helps when my hands are acting up. I think I wuld go with the two heavy cane thing as I do put my wieght on my lot of times while walking
I been looking at a lot of journals and see most people go like 15 to 20 miles a day. Me I think I would not try for more the 7 or 8 at least not at first.
but if I was going to do this I realy want to do it as a thru-Hike not do it in sections
am I wanting to much at one time
I know I will have to make all my clothing as I have looked at some sites that people on here have gaven and it looks like to me the companies do not think that fat people hike. I mean man some of those skirts I looked at, HA HA HA think only one of my legs would fit in
I am using the name YOYO because that is what I been call by my family all the time but got a feeling if I get out there on the trail my mane might get changed to BIG MAMA
I do know how to saw real good in fact make a lot of my skirts and western shirts
but I do not know a darn thing about material
I go to walmart and just pick someting out I like
went to a few of the sites people have gaven for material and I would not even know what to pick for like chothes and such
I am realy looking forward to start making stuff though
I may be starting in the wrong place for planning but the two things I think I will do first is work on how far I go each day and work on making stuff
I got the list they posted here of all the lean to's and shelters and it has the miles from springer on it tot been using that and figuring out where I would hike to each day using the 7 to 8 mile thing
the Hammoc thing sounds good I to have a hard time getting up off the ground only thing there is
HOW MUCH WEIGHT CAN ONE HOLD
and no I am not telling my weight, not right now at least
I can make a homemade hammoc infact I have a crochet pattern for one

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-17-2006, 11:37
Yo-Yo, got to the homemade gear forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65) here and do some reading about fabrics and techniques. Avoid anything containing cotton because it dries very slowly and 'rots' if left wet for long. Dampness robs your body of warmth and can kill you so clothing needs to be made of fabrics that dry well. You've got my email address - feel free to ask questions about fabrics.

As for skirts - any polyester or nylon skirt that will fit, not restrict your ability to make the movements common to hiking, keep you covered and won't be getting hung up on branches and such on the trail will work. I also LOL when I look at the hiking skirts sold by outfitters - some might go around my big toe. Be sure to select a skirt that is somewhat light-proof so all the fellows don't get to see what they're missing. ;)

Also, try to get hold of a copy of a book by Ray Jardine - Backpacking and Beyond (I'd suggest ordering both his book and Bill Irwin's on ebay or Amazon used if you can't get them via a library). Jardine's book has suggestions and some basic patterns for gear and clothing. A word of caution - Jardine is pretty outspoken and rigid in his ideas - you will see others disagree with some of his thoughts. No one has the perfect answers for anyone else. You must look at the options and choose what is best for your situation.

Another site that has helped me a lot is with gear and fabrics is http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html. You have to register to read this forum, but it has also been very helpful: http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html

squivens
05-17-2006, 13:25
Dino and anyone else with thoughts,

I've had both of my hips reconstructed and also have plenty of metal holding me together. I have been hiking sometime and my current set of hips is about 6 years old and well adjusted to my hiking. My question is about packs. I am in the market for a new pack however my main concern is hipbelts and support. Any recomendation on good belts that offer comfort and support for the not so perfect hips?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-17-2006, 13:49
Judy (stavingmusician) - wishing you well with the neuro appointment. Hope someone here will step forward with some experience, strength and hope for your situation.

Squivens, I'm female and find that the hip-belts especially for females that adjust at both the top and bottom work best for me. If you are a guy and not too tall, a female pack might work better for you as well because of this ability to really fine-tune the hip belt. Women's packs come to about 19 - 20 torso length. Not sure if the shoulder straps on a woman's pack would be a problem or not. Women tend to have smaller shoulders than fellows. Maybe one of the other members will have some suggestions.

starvingmusician
05-17-2006, 19:13
Judy (stavingmusician) - wishing you well with the neuro appointment. Hope someone here will step forward with some experience, strength and hope for your situation.

Many thanks. I did screw up the courage to call this morning and spill my guts to his nurse, and was especially insistant about getting an earlier appointment to turn the VNS off for a trial period over the summer. I told her that this had been an on-going issue and I was tired of my quality of life. She said she'd get back to me. She called back while I was out with my son and left a message on my answering machine that:

1. The neuro was referring me back to the neurosurgeon who implanted the device so he can explant it, and

2. I'd see him in September.

Like he*l I will. I'll probably make a trip into Ohio and visit my old neuro, pay him out-of-pocket to turn off the device, and shop around for a new neuro this week.

I know I will have to make all my clothing as I have looked at some sites that people on here have gaven and it looks like to me the companies do not think that fat people hike. I mean man some of those skirts I looked at, HA HA HA think only one of my legs would fit in
I am using the name YOYO because that is what I been call by my family all the time but got a feeling if I get out there on the trail my mane might get changed to BIG MAMA

the Hammoc thing sounds good I to have a hard time getting up off the ground only thing there is HOW MUCH WEIGHT CAN ONE HOLD

I didn't think there were companies out there that thought that fat people bicycled until I found a local company that manufactures bike shorts in plus men's and women's sizes (and I mean REAL plus sizes, not the 1x women's size = size 16). I prefer plus-sized men's convertible pants. As a matter of fact, I'm ripping out the crotch seam in a pair (legs zippered off) and re-sewing it down the front to make the shorts into a skirt - I really liked the fabric and size and placement of the pockets. At $10 on clearance, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to experiment. XXL men's wicking shirts at Wal-Mart. Nothing fancy needed.

My hammock is rated to 300 pounds. I believe Hennessy makes one that holds 350.

Judy

Moxie00
05-18-2006, 08:52
Often our disabilities can be overcome by using the abilities we do have. The hiker with severe asthma or emphesima can hike slow and take frequent breaks. Backpacking is not a race. Same goes for the hiker with a hip or knee replacement. I know several hikers with "bad" hearts that made it with proper medication. Bill Erwin is blind and made it and I am told "One Leg" did it on one leg. With determination and dedication anything is possible. Very few of us are physically perfect, it's just some hikers have more to overcome than others. You will never know until you try and I am no longer amazed when I meet a hiker with what many would say has a disability that would prevent them from hiking.

stag3
05-18-2006, 10:15
This is an awesome thread. I was feeling sorry for my self because of a torn rotator cuff that has finally healed. But these stories make me feel like a sissy.

I have nothing but admiration for people who persevere and overcome obsticals that could easily cause someone to give up. I wish all of you a great hike whether it is 1 mile or a thousand miles. I would offer to help, but some how I think you don't need it.:banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-24-2007, 05:44
Sorry to bump a really old thread, but this article belongs in this thread:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070324/COLUMNIST06/703240389

Just Jeff
03-24-2007, 08:54
Hey - how about some updates from you folks on this thread? Like FD's rehab progress and getting ready to try out a hammock! How's everyone else doing with their hiking goals?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-24-2007, 10:37
She-dino update: First, my paralysis was due to damage to the small nerves inside the muscle - the large nerves all work mostly OK (some minor damage, but nothing that would stop me from hiking). I have been having a lot of tingling and burning in my damaged muscles for some time. The doc told me this was likely nerve regrowth!!!! I have been trying to move the paralyzed muscles since she told me this and about 6 wks ago, I was able to do so briefly. Since then, I have worked the muscle as much as possible and have been getting stronger. I'm walking about 1.75 miles on hilly pavement without my cane and hiking some with one cane instead of two. I am doing unsupported squats, lightly supported lunges and have even been able to run for very short distances without falling.

I believe I will be able to get in and out of a hammock soon without falling and Hammock Engineer has loaned me a HH explorer UL Asym to use as he is thru- hiking this year.

Wonder
03-24-2007, 11:54
Well, it appears that its the time to hit the web with why I'm WonderFOOT
I was diagnosed at age 11 with Bilateral Osteochondritis Disscans of the Talus. After years of treatments and confussion over what was causing my ankle bone to dissinigrate, they figured out that I was born too flexable and that every step I took was impacting my bones. (most people have a natural seperation between their bones to damper impact. Me? I have no cartledge below my hips)
Due to many reasons and failed treatments, I spent about 6 years of my life on crutches or in a wheel chair. Everytime I lost a little more bone in my leg it would expose a nerve, and I would not be able to walk. Not to mention the sugerys.
My blessing came 3 years ago when I underwent my transplant. They rebuilt my left talus with a decent chunk of my femar/knee(and various other things that cost too much) and removed apprx. 3 inches of tendon and ligament from my ankle. The transplant was a total success, but still almost lost my foot.
To get into my ankle for the transplant, they had to saw through my tibia. There was NO RE-GROWTH for almost 5 months. They almost had to go back in.......it was terrifying! I was already planning my hike! It was how I made it through the day! But, alas, all worked out in the end. I had Reiki massage and my leg grew right back. NOw I know the secret....I swear by Reiki.
I truly belive that the trail is why I am still walking. I would never have taken the risk of this sugery in the first place if I was not hell bent on getting out here! I'd still be crippled and depressd if I didn't do it. Now, I'm just not looking forward to getting my right leg done....but as I see it, it's still working, don't futz with it
I just had my 3 year anniversary of my surgery, and I'm in my second season on trail. I may go slow but I'm here, and I'm NOT disabled...i'm enabled.

Footslogger
03-24-2007, 12:19
I hiked with a bit of a challenge in 2003. By the third week of my hike I started to have abdominal pains and hematuria. Given a prior history of kidney stones I knew what was happening. Decided to focus on hydration and walk "through" the situation, given the fact that this might be the only opportunity for me to hike the trail.

The abdominal pains continued and go worse but I managed to keep hiking (not making very good mileage though). Worst day was hiking up to Franconia out of North Woodstock. Had an extreme episode of pain/cramping and needed to drop my pack and sit for a while. I broke out in a sweat and that combined with the cool temps that morning pushed me into hypothermia. A couple other hikers who realized I had fallen behind came back down the hill and found me doubled up on the ground and not firing on all cylinders. They smartly dumped my pack, got out my sleeping bag and wrapped me in it. Before long I warmed back up and was able to get on my feet and the three of us doubled back into North Woodstock to regroup. After an afternoon of rest and rehydration I set out again and was able to stay on the trail.

Long story short ...I managed (somehow) to finish my hike, summitting Katahdin on October 9th. Once back home I knew that I had to deal with the situation. Saw a urologist who confirmed that I had very serious kidney stone disease. Two surgeries later I was stone free and will hopefully stay that way.

Compared to some of the stories in this thread mine seems pretty minor. It was a challenge but I chose to keep on hiking, despite the issue (yes, I'm hardheaded). One thing for sure though, as I now plan my thru hike of the PCT I look forward to hiking without dragging kidney stones along for the ride.

'Slogger

Wonder
03-24-2007, 12:37
I don't think that I could handle internatl pain.....bless you for pushing thru!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-15-2007, 09:56
Bumping this really old thread to add a link to this article about a feloow who hiked 1,600 miles with MS:
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/112-04152007-1330295.html

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-15-2007, 10:01
Well, it appears that its the time to hit the web with why I'm WonderFOOT
I was diagnosed at age 11 with Bilateral Osteochondritis Disscans of the Talus. After years of treatments and confussion over what was causing my ankle bone to dissinigrate, they figured out that I was born too flexable and that every step I took was impacting my bones. (most people have a natural seperation between their bones to damper impact. Me? I have no cartledge below my hips)
......... snipped scary surgery stuff :eek: ........
I truly belive that the trail is why I am still walking. I would never have taken the risk of this sugery in the first place if I was not hell bent on getting out here! I'd still be crippled and depressd if I didn't do it. Now, I'm just not looking forward to getting my right leg done....but as I see it, it's still working, don't futz with it
I just had my 3 year anniversary of my surgery, and I'm in my second season on trail. I may go slow but I'm here, and I'm NOT disabled...i'm enabled.God bless your sweet hippie-girl self for sharing this. Wonderfoot is one of the most energetic and positive people I know. I had no idea she had overcome should a rough start. WTG, Wonderfoot. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-25-2007, 04:33
This comes from another thread, but it belongs here for those researching this topic to find - clicking the small blue arrow after the poster's name will take you to that thread.
Those of you who know me personally, are aware that on May 11th of this year, I lost my voicebox during cancer surgery. Due to complications from prior treatments, I was also left with an "extra" hole in my throat (in addition to the stoma through which I now breathe) and a feeding tube in my stomach.

I am pleased to announce that this weekend was the first time since the surgery that I ventured out onto the AT to "see how well the remaining equipment works"! I picked a rocky section of trail in Pa. (Rt. 501 to Rt. 183 and back again), and just threw some old equipment in a pack and took off.

God, it felt so good to be sore!:D But I'm happy to report that my speed and endurance seem to be back. I have some unresolved issues that need attention (like breathing into my sleeping bag at night because of my stoma's location), and I did get some funny looks from other hikers at lunchtime ("What IS he doing with that syringe??"), but apart from carrying no kitchen stuff and a boat-load of cans of liquid food, everything was normal.

So the next time you talk to someone who's gone through life-altering surgery, tell them that they CAN get their life back - if they want it. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING.:sun

horicon
09-25-2007, 16:15
I have been doing some walking on the AT in NY and NJ with a rebuilt Knee. It has made me a little slower and paying attention to the elvation change.

tha
09-25-2007, 17:21
I don't normally share the details of what happened on the Net, but I want this thread to show that people can continue to hike even after serious injuries and with permanent disabilities.

I was hit head-on by a young man who was very high on drugs 8/6/2004. Prior to this, the male dino and I were preparing to section hike the AT after his retirement on 8/30/2004.

We had already completed Springer to Unicoi Gap in two weekend trips to test gear and talk with thru-hikers about how they prepared.

My disability is a Trendelenburg gait (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/hip/hip%20clin%20correl/corr6.html) secondary to having a fracture to the proximal femur ("hip" fracture in lay terms) (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/hip/hip%20clin%20correl/corr2.html) and having my mid-femur broken into a number of pieces. I have damage to my Anterior tibial artery (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/arteries-nerves%20LE/arteries4.html) which cause severe cramping at times. I also have damage to the femural nerve (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/arteries-nerves%20LE/nerves1.html). which prevents my vastus lateralis muscle (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/knee/muscles/thigh1.html) from being under my voluntary control and serious weakening of other muscles in the area. I also have abductor damage. (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eanatomy/knee/muscles/thigh2.html) This weakness in the right thigh coupled with the Trendelenburg gait causes pain in the lower back, hip and knee. My left knee also has some nerve damage, but it has not affected my ability to hike - it is numb on the side next to my right knee.

Before this, I hiked at about 2.5 MPH without a pack and 2.3 MPH with a pack. Today, I hike at about 1.2 to 1.5 MPH without a pack and 1 MPH with a pack. I use two offset canes to hike in a manner similar to how most use trekking poles. The canes are far heavier (almost 1 pound each) and more sturdy than trekking poles - I can arrest a fall by putting my full weight on either cane - a maneuver that would bend even the sturdiest trekking poles. I have also been known to hook an off-set cane over a root and hand-over-hand my way up some steep scrambles.

As to adaptations -
I switched to an ultralight pack since my max carry weight is about 18 pounds - any more and my leg starts giving way after a couple of miles.

I switched from trail runners to a light-weight boot (Hi-Tec Sierra V-Lites without goretex).

We switched from a 9 x 9 coated tarp to a lighter, but larger 9 x 12 sil-nylon tarp. We switch to an inexpensive bivy-style tent with a slant door (http://www.texsport.net/knollwood-bivy-shelter-tent-p-43.html) that weighs only 3 pounds - our total shelter weight is 4 #, 3 ozs for the two of us. The only way for me to get up from sitting on the ground or laying down is to turn over on my stomach, draw my legs up underneath me and "walk' my hands back to my feet - in other words, my arms do the work of pushing me up that my right leg can no longer do. This is why I needed a tent with a slanted door - my butt can get high enough with the door unzipped for me to get up while my knees/ hands remain on the unmuddy tent floor. The larger tarp allows us to tarp over places with large rocks for me to use to sit on or as support for getting up. It is physically impossible for me to squat down to cook or to potty.

This is how I potty in the wilderness without being able to squat. I find a small tree that I can lock my fingers around and use that to support me while I squat to pee or poop. Then I bury the wastes per LNT methods.

I switched from a Ridgerest mat (http://www.dagevi.com/sanal/images/ridgerest.jpg) to a Big Anges Insulated Air Core (http://gallery.rei.com/media/713600_321Prd.jpg). This is a 2.5" mat that has to be manually blown up every night. It is worth it for the comfort it provides. My hip and leg have lots of metal inside and that requires lots of padding and warmth.

I designed a two person sleep system tailored to our needs. It fits my mat and his Thermarest Pro4. It has a quilt with draft guards rather than a sleeping bag, but can be enclosed in either lightweight fleece bags (adds about 12 degrees warmth) or could be used inside or under a heavier bag(s). The quilt is designed with extra insulation on my side because I'm a cold sleeper and the hip / leg must be kept warm. The sleep system also has a detactable 'quilt' that is 72" x 6" and goes between our mats. This gives me the leeway to adjust the leg at night for comfort without freezing and the fact that it is detachable allows me to use it to wrap around the leg / hip for warmth while hiking or during rest breaks. This hip / leg will not work unless it is kept warm so this mini-quilt is vital to my ability to hike.

WOW! That is determination. Good for you.

I almost completely destroyed my ankle 2 1/2 years ago, but have now healed completely. It was broken in 20+ places, and I was not supposed to ever walk pain-free again. I can now run about a mile non-stop. Not great, but I'll take it. One of the keys to my recovery was the assistance of the Stanford Clinic for Pain Management. They prescribed Neurontin specifically for the nerve pain, and the reduction of that pain was necessary to permit me to exercise and go to physical therapy to repair the damage. I stayed on the drug for about 6 months, and it worked wonders for me. The pain, according to the doctors, was being generated by the fact that the nerves were trying re-grow themselves.

I hope this might be of help to you.