PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Gear SOBO June 06'

zlucian
05-16-2006, 11:03
Wanted a few opinions on cold weather gear from those of you who have hiked New England in June. Leaving Katahdin early in the month, planning on making it to Hanover by early July. This is my tentative clothing list:
Polartec Fleece Vest
Rain Jacket (hard shell)
2 LS shirts (performance type)
2 SS shirts (performance type)
Rain Pants
1 pr Long Pants
1 pr Thermal Underwear (pants only)
Winter Cap/Beanie

The assumption is that while hiking I'll be plenty warm and can layer as needed while camping. Have a heavier fleece jacket as well, but I'm leaning towards not taking it at the moment. Save on weight and space.

Comments, Suggestions???? Thanks!

tyro
05-16-2006, 17:35
I'm also interested in the responses. My tentative clothing list is very similar. My differences are only one each of the shirts, a long underwear top, and I'm still deciding between a ltwt fleece jacket/pullover or vest. Oh, and I'm also bringing socks. (:

hammock engineer
05-16-2006, 19:18
I am not starting until July and I haven't hiked in Maine yet, but here is what I am plaining if it helps.

mid weight long under wear top
mid weight long under wear bottom
a baclava (or wool hat and neck gaiter)
OR mittens
100 weight fleece pullover
rain jacket
rain pants
2 extra pairs of socks

Wearing:

swim trunks sans liner
poly T- Shirt
socks

I have hiked wearing all of that and been 'comfortable' into the high 20's. Hope this helps.

Marta
05-17-2006, 06:48
My clothing list is very similar to Hammock Engineer's, also for a July start. I'm preparing for nightime temperatures in the 40's, with the possibility of it being colder. Maybe it will be warmer, and I can use all that stuff as extra padding while I'm sleeping. But I'll have it if I need it.

Why 2 sets of 2 shirts, zlucian?

zlucian
05-17-2006, 07:23
Marta- The first LS shirt is simply to protect from bugs and sun, and I was considering the second ILO of a thermal top and in the absence of a fleece jacket for layering. Reconsidering, it may be overkill. Always looking to conserve weight (by base weight is ~18 lbs) and at this point I am so ready to go, that I'm starting to "over-plan", thinking I could mail it home after I was comfortable knowing I wouldn't need it again till the fall. Thanks for your advice!

KirkMcquest
05-17-2006, 08:14
I've hiked in some cold new england weather ( I don't think it will be to bad for you in june), my recommendation is to ditch the vest, add the heavier fleece, just in case.

hammock engineer
05-17-2006, 08:46
I forgot to add that I will probibly take a pair of light weight shorts and maybe a shirt to sleep in. That way I will keep my sleeping bag cleaner and sleep better.

Marta
05-17-2006, 21:39
My normal upper-body assortment is 1 ss shirt, 1 wool long undershirt, 1 fleece jacket (Patagonia R2), Micropuff vest, and a silnylon rainjacket (Dancing Light Gear). I tend to get cold pretty easily and have a hard time keeping warm after dark. Down south here, I leave some of these layers at home for weekend hikes in the summer, but I think I'll bring it all with me to Maine. I've been there in August and just about frozen to death visiting my in-laws down on the coast.

Question for 2006 SOBOs who are planning to be at Trail Days: Are you going to march with the class of 2006? Or does that seem premature at this point?