PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions

speyguy
05-17-2006, 01:14
Hey all,
Over the last 3 to 4 years I've been updating my backpacking gear and have founds lots of great ultra-light sites. A person can't help but come across all the hammocking info. Well I've been wanting to give it a try so I found some supplex for $2 a yd and bought some 1" webbing to go with it. I have some questions:

-with a Speer or Risk type of hammock are you still able to lie on the diagonal? The photos I see look like they seem to cocoon you in a wrap?

-how do people that have a speer hammock like the velcro for the netting enclosure? It seems like it might be a bit cumbersome sealing up all that velcro when getting in?

- what is a simple way of making the side pull outs? Grosgrain? Are they neccessary?

Thanks in advance!!

Just Jeff
05-17-2006, 01:28
How tightly you hang the hammock (i.e. how much sag) affects how you lay on the diagonal in a Speer. How tightly you pull the sides can impact it, also. Do those right and you won't have any problem getting diagonal.

Side pullout aren't necessary, but some people like them. I don't put them on any of my homemade hammocks - staking them out is just another step I'd have to do before going to sleep.

I don't use velcro for a bugnet so can't help you there.

Jonas4321
05-18-2006, 07:01
I have checked out Speer hammocks with Velcro and I like my bugnet tube that has none. I imagine the Speer design is a tad lighter, but my experience with Velcro is that it catches on things like noseeum; ymmv. I am not sure which is more work to seal off once inside the hammock, Velcro or sliding the tube over my head and drawing the end drawstring closed. Both take a little doing, particularly since I use a gear hammock (sidecar) alongside me tied to the same tree, and I gotta slide the bugnet tube between my hammock and the gear hammock, but it's not a huge deal either way.

funbun
05-18-2006, 10:43
I just made my Speer style hammock. I decided against velcro I figured velcro would be uncomfortable while using the hammock a camp chair. So I opted for a bugnet tube. I'll be working on that today and tomorrow.

You might not need side tie outs cause most of the time I'm half sitting half laying in the hammock anyway. That the beauty of a top entry hammock: you can sit ot lay in it any way you want at will, no crawling out from under the thing like a Hennessey. So the tie outs would get in your way in a Speer style hammock.

Also, where did you find supplex for $2 per yard?

speyguy
05-18-2006, 11:54
Funbun,
I live in Portland and got the supplex at Rose City Textiles in the bargain bin. They are on the net.
Thanks for your reply.

MedicineMan
05-22-2006, 00:39
i suppose there are indeed a million variations to the sitting position, and if so I can sit in the HH 500,000 of them....yes I cant dangle my legs over the edge like i'm in a swing but i can still do that on the outside of the HH...in fact i've found sitting inside the HH more comfortable (indian style) than in the speer simply because the HH seems wider at the point where my legs are crossed.
many a time on the trail i've watched a movie in the indian sitting position inside the HH (lite racer) and felt totally comfortable....just begging to differ thats all.

Just Jeff
05-22-2006, 00:42
How did you watch a movie on the trail?

subigo
05-22-2006, 03:13
How did you watch a movie on the trail?

I watch movies on my video ipod. Great for rainy days when you are stuck for 8 hours with nothing to do.

MedicineMan
05-22-2006, 03:56
i'm using an HP4700 with the 4inch screen..on the 4gm compact flash currently are:
Attack of the Clones
Patriot
Terminator
The Fifth Element
The Two Towers
and
War of the Worlds

Ramble~On
05-22-2006, 05:24
:eek: Hmmmmmm. :-? Just when I think I have all the little gidgits and gadgets and gear I could ever want......I find out that I don't have access to campsite movies.

Of course the very second I get one a new one will enter the market that is better, lighter, holds more and looks better.

funbun
05-22-2006, 09:11
What about reading a book? Is that considered old technology? lol.