PDA

View Full Version : Baxter Trip Report May 14-17

TJ aka Teej
05-17-2006, 23:48
Sunday, May 14th was wicked nice, high 70s, breezy and cloudless. Season seems to be about three weeks ahead, like it's the beginning of June. Abol Bridge to the Rainbow Ledges was dry, Hurd brook just a rock hop, a fire near the lean-to was reported but I didn't see anything. The MATC crew finished up trail work on the Hunt Trail, which will open later this week. The AT is still closed due to that usual road block past the Cave where the Trail edges the shoulder of the Ravine. Two BSP Rangers climbed the Abol Trail to check out the Table Land. Some blackflies already, but I never had to don the headnet, and only used the DEET twice in four days.
Monday, May 15th. The Abol Trail was declared open. The AT between Abol Bridge and Daicey Pond Campground was mostly dry, splashy in a few areas. Both Trilliums were in full bloom, warblers, grouse, and swallows filled the air. Both plank bridges are still out, and won't be replaced. AT between Daicey and Katahdin Stream in fine shape, many mooses, and scat from Pine Martens and maybe coyotes. All the blowdowns have been removed on the Hunt Trail, I only hiked this part up to the snow banks. Met Jensen Bissell, the new Director of Baxter State Park. A fine gent, knows his stuff, offbeat sense of humor. He and Ranger Bruce White reviewed the ALDHA Thru-hikers' Companion Baxter Park section for me, only found a few things to correct. Had the campgound to myself that night, if you don't count the snowshoe hares, woodcocks, and owls.
Tuesday, May 16. Weather report said 90% chance of rain so I headed up the Abol Slide Trail early. Started with a light rain while I was still in the woods, rained heavier as I started up the brook, and poured when I got up onto the slide. The views were awesome as the clouds whipped past, tearing open to show the foothills and river below. Decided "descent is the better part of valor." and headed back down. Explored the Abol Falls trail, the Grassy Pond trail, and the high water trail out of Daicey Pond. It's not the AT, but it's a better choice than those two fords now that the bridges are gone. Stopped raining around dark, had a campfire and turned in around 9. A thunder and lightning storm then rolled in for the next five hours, shaking the lean-to and lighting up the whole world. It Was Wild.
Wednesday, May 17th. Katahdin Stream was roaring. The campground was littered with broken limbs and branches. A young moose strolled down the dirt road that's also the AT, sorta stunned - walking slow like his feet hurt, looking around like he'd lost something. I walked up the Hunt Trail and took the Owl blue blaze for about another mile more to stretch by legs and try out my new hiking poles. I'm trying to evolve from a tripod to a quadruped, but it's not easy learning to walk all over again! The first Southbound AT hiker entered the Park this morning - good luck to him!

Teej

ed bell
05-18-2006, 00:21
Thanks for the report Teej. I have an anniversary comming up on the 23rd, and on our honeymoon in 2004 we stayed at a good friend's cabin on Lake Millinoket. Visited the park and had a great time, even though views were non-existant. I remember a drawing done by a young camper that was on the wall in a public cabin on Daicy Pond, it had a couple ducks drawn on it and the caption said: "Rain, rain, I love rain" We still laugh about it. Nice to hear about BSP.:sun

Moxie00
05-18-2006, 08:28
Thanks for the great report. The southbounders are starting earlier and earlier. This is a great year to start early, many years the fords would be very difficult. Black flies are very thick in central Maine but haven't started to bite too bad yet. Of course only the females bite. The males are gentlemen.

MOWGLI
05-18-2006, 08:35
Nice report TJ. Makes me want to be there.

Chomp09
05-18-2006, 19:37
Good to know Northern Maine hasn't gotten all of the rain we had down here! I'm starting a section hike late next week, from Abol Bridge to Rangeley. Also glad to hear that I won't be lonely out there, with the Black Flies to keep me company...

Auntie Mame
05-18-2006, 20:57
TJ, Thanks for taking the time to write up a glowing report. We live in the midcoast, so have had a few trips up through there over the years. It is always fun to read what other Mainers have to say, and especially about Baxter and surrounds. What a treasure. All best, Marcia