PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing Spray

Wyatt
05-18-2006, 12:52
I have an older down sleeping bag that is no longer resistant to moisture. Has anyone used a particularly good "waterproofing" spray that won't mess up the down? I've seen a few DWR products, but am interested in your experiences with them.

Wyatt

chicote
05-18-2006, 18:55
I haven't tried it yet so I don't quite meet your criteria. But this is what Western Mountaineering reccomends and that would be the first thing I'd try.

http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=1305

general
05-19-2006, 17:52
techtron................

Kerosene
05-20-2006, 14:51
ReviveX spray.

Peaks
05-20-2006, 18:19
Is waterproofing even recommended for a sleeping bag? I thought that the idea was to pass as much water vapor as possible so that the filling didn't get soggy and loose loft.

Amigi'sLastStand
05-22-2006, 18:46
Fully waterproofing a sleeping bag is not a good idea, really...
I will waterproof the lower two feet or so, as that seems to be the area for me that gets damp from moisture wicking or rain water. Like Peaks said, you need to "pass" the water vapor. Also, if something has two sides that could be exposed to water, then BOTH sides need to be done, like my Giligan hat is. You can't do that to a down bag as it would never breathe correctly.
So, just the lower two feet and then this: create a "sock" out of your Tyvek or 6mil undermat ( you have one, right? ).

Need a friend to help. Just get a piece three feet longer than your SB. Get in your SB with the Tyvek under you extending out your foot end by the extra three feet. Have said friend fold up the end into a cocoon around your feet and either duct tape it or, if at home, waterproofing glue between each fold ( my preferred method ). Fold it just like a Christmas present and you end up with a nice and neat triangle of material to glue. Adds two extra ounces of Tyvek, if that, and folds up just as easily in the morning.

LostInSpace
06-05-2006, 22:34
The DWR sprays, like ReviveX, are "Durable Water Repellant." They do not "waterproof" a product. I used ReviveX on my Marmot Percip gear with good results. The directions indicate that you must put the treated product in a dryer to heat set the DWR finish.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-06-2006, 00:32
The DWR sprays, like ReviveX, are "Durable Water Repellant." They do not "waterproof" a product. I used ReviveX on my Marmot Percip gear with good results. The directions indicate that you must put the treated product in a dryer to heat set the DWR finish.

Shoot, I completely forget this trick. Wyatt, what is the outer cover made from? Many synthetics have a sort of "natural memory". It is no longer water repellent because the threading has stretched over time.
Put the bag in the dryer with a damp, but not dripping hand towel. Run two full cycles with a fresh wet towel. I do not know what synthetics this will work with, but give it a try. Sure better than spraying silicone or polyurethane on a down bag. I do hear from my thieving neighbor that the Revivex(?) down cleaner is quite good. He used it on my bag I never told him he could borrow.:mad: