PDA

View Full Version : Alcohols

Claudia
05-18-2006, 15:43
Can denatured alcohol be use to rub on feet. Grain is the best all purpose (cook,feet,and drink) but too $$$. I'll forgo the libation if I can dry out my feet with denatured.

Ender
05-18-2006, 16:02
Can denatured alcohol be use to rub on feet. Grain is the best all purpose (cook,feet,and drink) but too $$$. I'll forgo the libation if I can dry out my feet with denatured.

As far as I know, it will dry out feet, but it's also not good for you, so it's not recomended. Toxic, or something like that.

Roland
05-18-2006, 17:21
Claudia,

I agree with Ender. There are a number of denaturing agents used to make alcohol unfit for human consumption. Some of these are quite poisonous and can be absorbed through the skin. You'd be ill-advised to use denatured alcohol as an astringent.

Dances with Mice
05-18-2006, 18:36
Methanol, the primary ingredient used to denature ethanol, can be absorbed through the skin but that doesn't happen very fast (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7429648&dopt=Abstract), it evaporates far faster than it is absorbed. Prolonged or repetitive skin contact can cause dryness, cracking and dermatitis (http://www.inchem.org/documents/hsg/hsg/v105hsg.htm#SectionNumber:2.5)but we're talking industrial level contact, not foot drying level contact.

Be aware that individual responses of humans to methanol may vary considerably. Acute oral and inhalation exposures and, to a lesser extent, absorption through the skin of high concentrations of methanol have resulted in central nervous system depression, blindness, coma and death.

So bottom line: It's probably ok to use to dry off your feet. Probably.

Heater
05-18-2006, 19:08
Prolonged or repetitive skin contact can cause dryness, cracking and dermatitis (http://www.inchem.org/documents/hsg/hsg/v105hsg.htm#SectionNumber:2.5)but we're talking industrial level contact, not foot drying level contact.

I used alcohol once when I had foot surgery and had pins inserted in my foot. Couldn't get it wet in the shower so I cleaned the ankle and foot with it about every three days and around the injury every day.

I experienceD some drying and cracking over this six week period and I wasn't using it every day. I wouldn't use it every day for this reason alone not to mention the other possible risks.

I think wiping away all the oils and moisture on you feet could lead to real problems. Especially if you are walking 15 - 20 MPD.

JMHO. YMMV. ITEOTWAWKI. HAND. :)

Spock
05-18-2006, 20:45
Listen to Dances with Mice. Denatured alcohol contains methanol, a poison that can be absorbed through the skin. It destroys the optic nerve first. Try hiking blind! Just don't use it on your skin. Period.

Claudia
05-19-2006, 01:45
Thanks, sounds like I'll keep that small bottle of grain after all. Goody goody.

camper10469
05-19-2006, 20:58
Denatured alcohol is poisonous. Many different chemicals are used to denature it including formaldahide and stuff like that.

If you are using alcohol for dininfection, better to use ever clear or a drinking alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is not to be used on open wounds either, it also contains some toxic stuff although rubbing alcohol contains an oil, thus for rubbing.

Dances with Mice
05-19-2006, 21:33
Many different chemicals are used to denature it including formaldahide and stuff like that. Are you sure about that?

rubbing alcohol contains an oil, thus for rubbing.Yeah, right. You wouldn't mind citing a source for that little nugget of factual information now, would you?

atraildreamer
05-20-2006, 03:10
Try 95% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. You can't drink it, but you can burn it in your stove, and use it on your feet. :)

TIDE-HSV
05-26-2006, 00:28
methanol in denatured, when absorbed through the skin, breathed, or drunk, is broken down in the liver to formaldehyde and formic acid (what stings when an ant bites you). I recently ODed myself, using Silicone II with XST -which out-gasses methanol - for six hours in a closed room without breathing apparatus. I was sick as a dog the next day, with severely irritated eyes, and I only then got around to reading the warning label and checking it out on the net. This was only from breathing the stuff. I wouldn't consider putting it on my skin daily...

bfitz
05-26-2006, 00:41
Whipe4 Yo9urt Feetnwith ,ooonshinhe

betic4lyf
05-26-2006, 00:47
i would cary a small bottle of rubbing alcohol.if you use the same amount, it will just mean carrying an extra bottle which isnt much. and i know for me personally, i sweat alot out of my feet, so some dryness isnt that bad. i'll have to try using some rubbing alcohol on my feet

stag3
05-26-2006, 00:51
methanol in denatured, when absorbed through the skin, breathed, or drunk, is broken down in the liver to formaldehyde and formic acid (what stings when an ant bites you). I recently ODed myself, using Silicone II with XST -which out-gasses methanol - for six hours in a closed room without breathing apparatus. I was sick as a dog the next day, with severely irritated eyes, and I only then got around to reading the warning label and checking it out on the net. This was only from breathing the stuff. I wouldn't consider putting it on my skin daily...

Denatured means making ethanol (aka Jim Beam) poisonous. Methanol is not denatured because it is already a poison. Only ethanol is denatured.

Lanthar Mandragoran
05-26-2006, 08:25
i would cary a small bottle of rubbing alcohol.if you use the same amount, it will just mean carrying an extra bottle which isnt much. and i know for me personally, i sweat alot out of my feet, so some dryness isnt that bad. i'll have to try using some rubbing alcohol on my feet

Yup. Why risk putting denatured on a blister or crack you didn't notice and having the toxins (there's more than just Meth to 'denature' some denatureds... some companies put benzene, a known carcinogen, and other scary stuff in it) absorb faster than normal.

2 oz isn't worth the potential problems.