PDA

View Full Version : I did it! Two week notice given Monday!

Tractor
05-18-2006, 19:02
First off, I would never have considered this action wise for myself or anyone else considering I have no firm job to go to AND have responsibilities to uphold and consider. I must get these all in order before, say, taking a longer hike this year than previously planned. Right at this moment that's a pipe dream as I have legal (post divorce) & moral (everything else family and financial) obligations I must attend to first.

Now the good parts:
I have full support of my folks, family, ex-wife and friends.
I am paid thru June with side work waiting for me to extend bill paying ability at least thru July.
I feel like someone lifted a 300 lb pack off my back Monday morning.
I haven't smiled this much in years.
I already have requests for resumes and inquiries on relocation thoughts.

Some offers & prospects are western US so might could use some advice from some of you as I haven't yet lived west of Tomball Texas yet.

I can breath again! North from Daleville VA might take less time than I once thought but I gotta get these new loose ends tied first & foremost......... :)

I Am A Tractor

strnorm
05-18-2006, 20:16
I know where pulaski va. is, but where in Tn.? being from kingsport

papa john
05-18-2006, 20:19
Pulaski Tn is west of I65 going north from Huntsville, AL right on the AL/TN state line. How would I know that? I spent an afternoon in their wonderful jail for a traffic violation.

Tractor
05-18-2006, 20:35
Sorry about that papa john. Before next time, in the vicinity, let me know and I will buy you a beer or ice tea & a cheeseburger. It won't make up for the other but at least you can have a better second thought about the place..... t

strnorm
05-18-2006, 20:39
Thanks papa john, love your pizza

KirkMcquest
05-18-2006, 21:26
First off, I would never have considered this action wise for myself or anyone else considering I have no firm job to go to AND have responsibilities to uphold and consider. I must get these all in order before, say, taking a longer hike this year than previously planned. Right at this moment that's a pipe dream as I have legal (post divorce) & moral (everything else family and financial) obligations I must attend to first.

Now the good parts:
I have full support of my folks, family, ex-wife and friends.
I am paid thru June with side work waiting for me to extend bill paying ability at least thru July.
I feel like someone lifted a 300 lb pack off my back Monday morning.
I haven't smiled this much in years.
I already have requests for resumes and inquiries on relocation thoughts.

Some offers & prospects are western US so might could use some advice from some of you as I haven't yet lived west of Tomball Texas yet.

I can breath again! North from Daleville VA might take less time than I once thought but I gotta get these new loose ends tied first & foremost......... :)

I Am A Tractor

Congratulations, Tractor. I always love hearing from people who have broken free, for a little while at least. Gives me hope.

Let that be a lesson to all you single guys out there, MARRIAGE AND FAMILY ARE PRISONS.

papa john
05-18-2006, 22:05
Hey Tracker, is that bar called Raineys still there? It was right past the state line on Hwy 31. We had just left that bar when we got pulled over. Luckily they didn't do a sobriety test!

Tractor
05-18-2006, 22:21
Raineys. If it's where I think it was, been closed for some time now. I wuz a weee lad when that was open. I used to work at that truck stop with the giant chicken out front and had to go there, once, to exchange big bills for small ones one night. I had plenty of unwanted company going back out to the company truck.......... had my ARCO shirt with "BOB" over the left pocket, or was it "Jim" that week???? Never had my name on 'um......

Deerleg
05-18-2006, 22:53
MARRIAGE AND FAMILY ARE PRISONS.:eek:

I just finished my 1st 25 years of a life sentence, and as long as the wife gives me a couple weeks of parole every year to hike I will keep loving the view from between the bars:D.

the goat
05-18-2006, 23:15
MARRIAGE AND FAMILY ARE PRISONS.

amen, brother!

grrickar
05-19-2006, 01:26
Tractor, just down the road from ya bro....Hazel Green, AL calling. Congrats on breaking free man. Every man should take a year out of life and just be alone to collect his thoughts and think about where he is headed. Some call it a mid-life crisis - i call it a reality check. After watching several of my former managers grab at straws looking for happiness, I came to the conclusion that some poeple just want to be known for what position they hold in life or the things they own. There's so much more to life, and I cannot help but pity those people. If backpacking has taught me anything it is that you actually need very little to enjoy life. Good food, good friends, good trails, good times. For now i will have to live vicariously through you :D

KirkMcquest
05-19-2006, 18:14
:eek:

I just finished my 1st 25 years of a life sentence, and as long as the wife gives me a couple weeks of parole every year to hike I will keep loving the view from between the bars:D.

They say at the zoo, certain monkeys actually like being in the cage.:banana Even when the doors are opened, they'll refuse to leave, they've been 'domesticated'. These monkeys would stand no chance in the wild.:D

Tractor
05-19-2006, 19:01
Update. Very strange. My ex wife just asked if we might get back together now that work isn't in the way. Stranger still, I woke up this morning thinking the same damn thing. I gotta go hiking before all this wears off!

Aren't women supposed to be more attracted to men with steady income as opposed to those with no firm plan for work in the near future?

I love it!

See you on the trail shortly............ :)

Crafty
05-20-2006, 00:47
I can completely understand what you're going through since I, too, just gave my notice at work and intend to hit the trail in July. I still have a house to finish some work on and get on the market, among other responsibilities but it's finally looking like it actually might happen as planned! I'm so looking forward to shedding all of the material burdens I've accumulated for myself over the past number of years and re-learning to live simply, at least for a while, with nothing better to do than walk & think. Then maybe I'll be ready to re-enter the "real world" with a bit better perspective on things. I'm looking at this as somewhat of a spiritual pilgrimage for myself and am looking forward to the comraderie of all the other people out there that will each be taking steps (literally) towards their own personal goals, whatever they may be.

sarbar
05-22-2006, 00:08
Aren't women supposed to be more attracted to men with steady income as opposed to those with no firm plan for work in the near future?

Not always. It isn't income but the ability to go make one if needed, along with not being a sponge or couch surfer. Worse is living with your mom and not working even though you could ;)

When I met my fiance in 2002, he was unemployed. He had been layed off, he sold his house in VA, and drove across the country to WA state. He stayed at a friend's house for 6 months or so while he figured out what he wanted. I met him a couple weeks after he got here. Thing was I knew he would go back to work, and he wasn't wasting his time drinking and bsing. He was out hiking, backpacking , kayaking and doing photography. He was using his free time well. Everyone deserves that chance in life for a year or so.

Deerleg
05-25-2006, 20:52
They say at the zoo, certain monkeys actually like being in the cage. A...yes
Even when the doors are opened, they'll refuse to leave, hmmm...yes
they've been 'domesticated'. without question
These monkeys would stand no chance in the wild.:D very little:rolleyes:

Snow Stomp
05-25-2006, 21:12
For now i will have to live vicariously through you :D

I hate that cliche. There is no such thing as living vicariously through others. Especially not from a computer screen. That's like couch potatos watching the boob tube, and claiming they're "living" vicariously.

There is only one way to live. And that's to get out there and do it.