PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle from US64 to Standing Indian

Saluki Dave
05-19-2006, 16:05
I'm looking to do a short section next weekend from Standing Indian Mountain to Wallace or Winding Stair Gap. I was counting on scoring a shuttle through Rainbow Springs. Of course, much to my surprise, they're no longer in business. Does anybody have a recommendation?

Also, if I park my car at Winding Stair, will I come back to a bare frame? I'd even be willing to hitch back to Franklin to avoid that.

'ppreciate the help.

Dave

papa john
05-19-2006, 17:43
You are only talking about a mile or two. Park your car in the Standing Indian Campground back country parking lot and hike the Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap, hike north on the AT to Wallace Gap and then backtrack via the road to your car or alternatively, hike down to your car from Glassmine Gap.

Skidsteer
05-20-2006, 06:55
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/links/showlink.php?do=showdetails&l=114&catid=6 :)

Saluki Dave
05-20-2006, 12:46
Standing Indian Mountain , not Campground. It looks like about 22 miles on my map.

papa john
05-20-2006, 13:01
Standing Indian Mountain is a short 5 mile walk up the Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap and then north on the AT. You can still do exactly as I stated, I have done it several times and it is a wonderful weekend hike.