PDA

View Full Version : Hiking shoe advice

eddiep61
05-19-2006, 16:46
I currently have a pair of Montrail Torre GTX boots. I have had them for many years. The problem I have with them is that my toes are too long and the flex point is not right with my foot which causes them to rub my heel. I have lightened my pack weight down to 30-35 pounds and was checking out some of the trail runner shoes. I have two options that fit really well. One was Merrell Chameleon II XCR. I have seen some pretty good reviews on those. Another pair that fit well was a new pair that I haven't heard much about and was wanting to see if anybody had any experience with them, Vasque Kota GTX. I don't want to spend this much money if these shoes can't handle the weight. That is my main concern along with unknown of the Vasque. Eddie

sum41punk91
05-19-2006, 16:59
you ever think about just getting a pair of nicely fitted insoles?

eddiep61
05-19-2006, 22:08
Nah, I didn't think the insole would make the boot flex at a different place. I thought the stiffness of the vibram sole affected that. I can wear the boots but just have to have plenty of moleskin and/or ductape.

SGT Rock
05-20-2006, 02:53
I have put hundreds of miles on my Nike Air Pegasus running shoes, I love them except when it rains and the trail is covered in mud - then traction is so great but it is still doable. Then I got some New Balance trail shoes which were mostly like my running shoes with more aggressive tread - I didn't like them as much, but they worked for me. Then I recently switched to some Merrill Stretch Chameleon which I have not made my mind up on yet. They are not as quick drying, cool, or as flexible as my other two shoes, but they do handle well in mud and on rocks. I just keep thinking I need to give them more of a chance since I spent so much money on them.

But of the three, I think the New Ballance has the best ballance of running shoe comfort and trail shoe tread.

Amigi'sLastStand
05-22-2006, 19:00
I'm with SGT on this one.... I second it. Just add a good coat of silicone waterproofer to trail shoes and I'm off.

Whistler
05-22-2006, 23:28
You should be fine with trail runners. My personal preference is to avoid trail runners with Gore-Tex. They usually get wet, dirty, and beat up anyway. Non-GTX models are usually cheaper as well. Of course, fit is first.
-Mark