PDA

View Full Version : 2007 thru hike of the AT.

tomman
05-19-2006, 20:43
Hello to the 2007 forum.
My name is Tom mantooth, trail name Cherokee Tom. I am planning to hike the AT starting around mid March 2007. I Will be 71 years old when I start and hope to be a lot younger when I finish.

A little background. I live in Garland, TX which is part of the Dallas area. I was planning to hike the AT in 2003. I had gotten into very good shape by walking, hiking and lifting weights. I had all my equipment and it had all been tested on hiking trips. Everything was set and everything looked good.

The second week of Feb. I came down with pneumonia. Since I have Ashma it really hit me hard and I was in the hospital for 16 days and then on oxygen for another 2 weeks. needless to say my trainning and thus my AT hopes went down the drain.

I am a srub-born old cuss and I refused to give up the dream I have had since back in the early 60's. I have been working on improving my health and losing 40 pounds of fat I did not need.

Concerning gear I was wondering if anyone has knows anything about the Big agnes Seedhouse SL2. I have a Clip Flashlite but do not like it because it seems to small for what I like. I have tried some of the one man tents and I just can not relax in them, I wish I could because of the weight.

That is enough for now..; I will from time to time cover some of the other gera I have .

Thanks
Cherokee Tom
This was my gggrandfathers name.

max patch
05-19-2006, 22:20
Hi Tom, I remember you from another forum way back when. Best of luck on your hike this time.

BTW, can't help you with the Seedhouse as I've never used it. The Clip Flashlight back in the day was probably the most popular tent on the trail.

tomman
05-20-2006, 02:09
Hey how is it going? I remember you also from the AT net I believe. I sure hope I make it this time.

Cherokee Tom

mtnbums2000
05-22-2006, 17:56
Good luck Cherokee Tom!! I hope to meet you on the trail.

Happy Trails

EarlyBird2007
05-23-2006, 08:19
Hi, Cherokee Tom. Don't know anything about that tent. I bought a Tarptent Squall 2 with floor last year. Only about 2 lb., including the floor. Two man tent with plenty of room for my dog and me. I've only had it out a few nights, but so far I really like it.

Another thing to consider is a hammock. I just got back from Trail Days, and there were several manufacturers showing their wares. Talked to a guy who thruhiked the AT last year with one. He always found good places to hang it. Some are unbelievably light and pack really small. If I hadn't already bought the Tarptent, I might go that way.

Here's a link to Tarptent's website: http://www.tarptent.com/

I plan to start a thruhike @ March 25. Hope to see you there.

Michele
05-23-2006, 08:37
Hey Tomman, WOW, 71 years young (age is truly a state of mind, and you are proving that!). From what I understand, the Big agnes Seedhouse and the MSR Hubba are probably the 2 most popular 3-season solo backpacking tents. I purchased the Hubba, and I haven't slept in it yet (still waiting to earn the $ for my sleeping bag), but I've heard good things about the SL2 as well, which I know is for 2 people, so you should have more room. Here's a link to a review of the SL2, sounds like this guy really loves it! Good luck and I hope to see you out there next year. NOBO 2007 on March 15!! CAN'T WAIT
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Big%20Agnes%20Seedhouse%20Superlight%20%202/Owner%20Review%20by%20Will%20Gester/

Green Bean
05-23-2006, 10:38
I have the Eureka zeus exo 2 person and It is a nice tent! weight is about 3.5 pounds. It is a tight squeezz for 2 people but is nice and comfortable solo. Happy Trails and the best of luck!! ~GB

tomman
05-24-2006, 22:12
I wish to thank the people that have replied thus far. I have looked at the test for rthe SL2 Michele and it re3ally looks good, Thanks.

I hope to meet all of you out on the AT.

Thanks,
Cherokee Tom
:sun

tomman
05-24-2006, 22:13
I wish to thank the people that have replied thus far. I have looked at the test for the SL2 Michele and it really looks good, Thanks.

Thanks,
Cherokee Tom

Heater
05-25-2006, 07:14
I wish to thank the people that have replied thus far. I have looked at the test for rthe SL2 Michele and it re3ally looks good, Thanks.

Thanks,
Cherokee Tom

I was looking on trailjournals.net at the gearlists of those that completed the AT last year because I have WAY too much time on my hands.
I noticed that the majority of those that finished were using a Henry Shires Tarptent of some sort. I was amazed.

Austexs... born and raised next door in Richardson Tx. now in Austin.

mindi
05-30-2006, 01:06
Can't wait to see you out there, Cherokee Tom!!

maxNcathy
06-05-2006, 12:31
Tom, I have the sL1 tent and it is great.Tthe SL2 should be a great choice for you who want a bit more room. God bless you with health to live this dream. Max

SURVIVOR
06-05-2006, 15:14
Hello, everyone.
My name is Lisa Adams. I am planning on walking the Trail in 2007 as well. My trail name is Survivor. LOL!
I hope that will bring me good luck! Actually, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 and that is why I chose that name. Anyway, that little incident was a wake up call for me and now I am pursuing this great adventure and hopefully, many,many more!! Start date in March 6,2007. My birthday! I will be 43!

maxNcathy
06-10-2006, 20:32
Hello, everyone.
My name is Lisa Adams. I am planning on walking the Trail in 2007 as well. My trail name is Survivor. LOL!
I hope that will bring me good luck! Actually, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 and that is why I chose that name. Anyway, that little incident was a wake up call for me and now I am pursuing this great adventure and hopefully, many,many more!! Start date in March 6,2007. My birthday! I will be 43!

Lisa, God bless you with perfect health as you set off next spring.I may head north that early but I don't like hiking in ice and snow of winter so I may leave about 21st of March.PS Happy birthday and 50 more!
Max/Sandalwood