PDA

View Full Version : My son and I will be heading north in 2007

mtnbums2000
05-20-2006, 01:29
Hello to all of the class of 07. I would like to introduce my-self and my son. My name is Shane Flanagan I'm 35 and my son is Tyler and he is 13. We live in Mammoth Lakes, Ca. were the family (wife Tracy and daughter Courtney) snowboard in the winter. We are originaly from Atlanta and we spent several years in Maggie Valley, N.C. which is right outside the A.T. in the Smokies.
I've been wanting to hike the A.T. since the early 90's and I've been doing the southern half of the A.T in sections every since. I introduced my family to the A.T when Courtney was 4 and Tyler was 3 and we have all been in love with the trail every since. I was really hoping to be able to hike the trail with my whole family but that's just not possible right now. Courtney starts high school next year and school is very important to her so she's out for now which means so is Tracy. But Tyler is willing and ready so I figured 07' would be a great time to make it happen. I've been ready since I first made my first steps on the A.T. but the timing has never been right. This year would have been good but Tyler is a pro snowboarder and he is filming a snowboard video part for Volcom Clothing and he has to finish up his part. So the whole family will be hiking the J.M.T in August.
My reasons for wanting to hike the A.T are simple...I love backpacking and I hate stupid people. And it seems that todays society is full of idiots. My motivation for wanting to hike the A.T is not to escape these people but to be around people who are more like my-self. Because I know that after my trip on the A.T. I must return and cope with today's society. My love for the A.T. runs very deep and it's been my dream for a long time and now my dream is going to come true. For Tyler he loves hiking and he's always enjoyed the A.T. as much as I do. He and I have always talked about hiking the A.T. and now in 07' it's going to happen. This should be a great father-son adventure.
Happy Trails to all.

thestin
05-20-2006, 02:41
Good luck to you and your son on your upcoming trip.

In your post, you talk about getting away from "stupid" people and being with people more like your self. I hope you are not setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm sure you will meet hikers that you disagree with, dislike, or even feel are stupid. Also, many of the hikers you meet will not be like you or think like you. You have a 13 year old son...your world view will be very different from a person in their 20s with no family responsibilities.

Enough of my sermon. Enjoy planning your trip!

Chtaffy
05-20-2006, 08:14
My name is Mike and I am planning to start around the first of March. I have enjoyed reading the postings here and look forward to running into everyone out on the trail.

Chtaffy
05-20-2006, 08:28
Sorry.... I thought I was posting on the starting dates thread - Good luck Shane and Tyler.

KirkMcquest
05-20-2006, 13:47
good luck on the trip, it will be one to remember always. Hate to tell you, but you'll definitely meets some 'stupid' people on the trail, unfortunately they're everywhere.

cannonball
05-20-2006, 15:31
If you complete your hike, guess what? "Stupid people" will be there when you return. I never heard of the collestive intellegence of a society increasing because some one thru hiked the AT.

Michele
05-21-2006, 10:38
Welcome Shane & Tyler. I'll see you out there...NOBO 07!! YEEEAAAAAA!!!

brotheral
05-21-2006, 10:50
Good Luck on your adventure !! I hope you take to heart the replies to your reason for thru-hike. I used to have a similar "Attitude". Hate & Stupid are powerful words. Don't let them take the "Fun" out of Life...Things are not always what they appear to be. Have some compassion for others. I've found alot more Peace & Joy as a result. Don't be so judgemental....It will help you to CHANGE the way you look at things...As Dr. Wayne Dyer says-- When you change the way you look at things; the things you look at CHANGE !! God Bless.........Brother Al

Big Dawg
05-21-2006, 11:27
:welcome to Whiteblaze!!! Happy Trails!

onicoe
05-21-2006, 12:50
i think it's great that you're doing this with you son, good luck out there on the trail!

mtnbums2000
05-21-2006, 14:01
Hey guys don't take my comments about stupid people so serious. Cause I surely don't take all the stupid people serious. My hike on the A.T. has been a dream of mine for a very long time. As a matter of fact I've already hiked over 700 miles of the trail and I've done Springer to Hot Springs, N.C a number of times. I'm not a bitter person at all as the one's who will get to meet my son and I will see. Actually I'm probably one of the most laid back easy going individuals that you will ever meet. Let me explain why I made the comments about "stupid people". I moved to Mammoth Lakes, Ca. in 2001 and I love the small town I live in. Mammoth Lakes is a ski resort town in the Sierra Mountains and it's as close to heaven as you will get (my opinion). The locals that live here are all laid back and our pace is alot slower than the tourist that visit our area. Now I know that w/out the tourist our economy here would hurt. What I'm trying to say is we get alot of tourist in our town that just have no common sense (nice word for stupid) at all. I accept our guest with the up most respect because I grew up in the south(Georgia) and that's the way I was brought up. But these people show no respect what so ever and they still feel as though they are still in the city rat race when they come to laid back Mammoth. So I was making my statement about meeting people more like my-self because I've spent many of days on the A.T and I know what type of people our out hiking on the trail. Trust me I know not all are going to be like my-self but the majority of tru-hikers are hiking the A.T. because they love the outdoors and the slow pace of backpacking...no cell phones, no cars passing you in the middle tunring lane cause you aren't doing 55 in a 35. And believe me I know that these people are still going to be a part of society when my trip ends and I return home. Life will go on and there's nothing anyone can do about people who lack common sense and common courtesy because our country is sadly infested with these types.
So I don't want my future fellow thru-hikers to get the wrong immpression of me. If I offended anyone I'm very sorry cause that wasn't my intentions at all. All I was trying to say is that it's going to be great to away from the fast paced normal life for 5-6 months and to spend time with some people more like my-self who love hiking. By the way I'm 35 but I can mingle with 20 year olds just as well as I can 70 year olds. My three best friends are in their early to mid 20's and are still in college.
I hope this helps explain my comments a little better. Like I said I did not mean to come across as bitter because trust me I'm not. I live a great life and I'm more than happy!!! I snowboard all winter and during the rest of the year I'm hiking, mtn. biking, playing on whitewater. climbing and enjoying all of these activities with my family and friends. I'm just looking foward to hiking the A.T. with my son and meeting new people.
Happy Trails

SGT Rock
05-21-2006, 14:12
Naw, everyone gets some ribbing around here.

Good luck and hope to see you on the trail next year.

brotheral
05-21-2006, 20:27
Thanks for clearing things up, Shane...I too think it's terrific that you're doing this & taking your son. I'm considering a thru-hike...That's why I became a member here.. Alot of trail wisdom on this site !!
Once again- HAVE FUN, GOOD LUCK, & GOD BLESS !!
brotheral

Blissful
05-21-2006, 21:40
I'll tell you, in this world, you ain't gonna get no respect no matter where you are. And people can be selfish and inconsiderate. So I always say - hey, what am I doing in this situation? How am I reacting to it? Am I keeping myself in check and giving a smile and helping hand to that (bleep) tourist - even if he don't deserve it back! It helps if I focus on what I'm doing rather than the other person. And not letting them get my goat. Makes me feel better and I don't get an ulcer. :)

Looking forward to seeing you on the trail. I'm starting March 1st with my 15 year old.

BTW - there are hikers with cell phones on the trail. :)

mtnbums2000
05-22-2006, 01:11
Good advice Blissful!!! I've learned to be really patient but some people just don't get it and never will. What always makes me feel better is the fact that I'm not that person and I am who I am.

Sounds like you guys will be a good ways ahead of since we aren't starting until late April. Maybe somehow our paths will cross.

Crazy that people would carry 6 or so more ounces only to not have any reception for most of the trip.