PDA

View Full Version : Looking for campsite info around Rockfish Gap area

r4m
05-20-2006, 03:17
My son is in the military and I would like to hook up with him on the AT around the Rockfish Gap area or in that area. It would be a leisure hike. Not much milage. 1 or 2 day hike just to do a little hiking. Does anybody know of any campsites in that area? Maybe 5 or 6 miles from the trailhead.
Thanks

totally Boagus
05-20-2006, 06:29
Go south 5 miles and you will find good campsites at the Paul C. Wolfe shelter.

Groucho
05-20-2006, 12:04
My son is in the military and I would like to hook up with him on the AT around the Rockfish Gap area or in that area. It would be a leisure hike. Not much milage. 1 or 2 day hike just to do a little hiking. Does anybody know of any campsites in that area? Maybe 5 or 6 miles from the trailhead.
Thanks

~14 mi. S on the BRP is Reeds Gap where you can start on partial loop hike of ~ 13 mi. incorporating the Mau-Har trail with the AT. There are a couple of good views, camping at Harpers Creek shelter area, creek and small waterfall on the MH trail. Harpers Creek at the shelter is nice if it has rained recently. This hike might be rated as strenuous with 4000-5000' of total climb.

Another hike in the area is Spy Rock. Start at the Montebello Fish Hatchery and hike to the AT, then left to a camping area at the base. No water here. It is about 2 mi. and 1200' climb. The start is about 28 mi. S of Rockfish Gap.

Both these hikes are popular, esp. on weekends.

r4m
05-20-2006, 23:48
Thanks for the replies. I'll check em' out.