PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil cannisters and Pocket Rocket

gumball
05-20-2006, 07:39
Does anyone know if it is okay to use the Jetboil Isobutane/Propane cannisters with the MSR Pocket Rocket? Fits together okay, lights okay, but I am reluctant to ...blow up ... in the middle of the woods. If I can prevent it, anyway :) Thanks. gum

Just Jeff
05-20-2006, 10:08
As long as the threads match and you don't hear any leaking, it should be ok. I several different kinds of cannisters with the JB, and I'm pretty sure folks here have used JB cannisters w/ the PR. Search the archives - there should be a thread about this exact topic...maybe a year ago?

gumball
05-20-2006, 10:35
Thanks Jeff, will do!

CaptChaos
05-20-2006, 14:00
Hey thanks for the heads up. Next time I'm on the trail and I hear the explosion and see the fireball and I tell my buddy's:

"Damm, must have been Gumball!", "Quick, Lets go check his wallet to see if he has anything for the next trail town.

Capt Chaos

Grandma Dixie
05-20-2006, 14:27
Yes it is ok. There is a federal law stating that ALL canister stoves must be compatable ALL Canisters. I'd get you a link, but I'm feeling lazy right now. Feel free to google it though.

saimyoji
05-20-2006, 16:26
Well, for the snow peak GigaPower stove, the instructions say the threads are different from other stoves. Its made in Japan, so that may be a difference. The cannisters are made here in the us though. They say if you use a different fuel the warranty is void.

Anyone ever use a different fuel cannister with their SP GigaPower?

NINpigNIN
05-21-2006, 00:17
Not that it means it isn't physically compatible, but on the Jetboil canister it says:

Warning - Use only with Jetboil products. Jetboil is not responsible for the misuse of this product.

Just Jeff
05-21-2006, 00:19
I think that's a marketing thing. The JB stove says to only use JB cannisters, but I've only used other brands and haven't had any problems.

jigsaw
05-21-2006, 06:52
ive used jet boil cannisters,primus and msr for my pocket rocket with no problems. in fact i like the jetboil better as its small enough to fit in my msr ti kettle.would'nt you think an msr cannister would fit in a msr ti kettle.dont try it i got one stuck it took me 30 minutes to get the thing out.

Hana_Hanger
05-21-2006, 07:47
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/canister_stove_faq.html?print=1

Great info here on this subject

grrickar
05-21-2006, 11:22
Aren't Jetboil cannisters more expensive than the others? If so why use them? I typically buy the larger MSR (medium size, not the big ones) and I can get them between $4 and $4.50.

Wal Mart has started carrying Coleman Isobutane cannisters (previously they only carried the propane bottles), and they are even cheaper. Has anyone used the green Coleman cannisters?

Roland
05-21-2006, 11:45
Does anyone know if it is okay to use the Jetboil Isobutane/Propane cannisters with the MSR Pocket Rocket? Fits together okay, lights okay, but I am reluctant to ...blow up ... in the middle of the woods. If I can prevent it, anyway :) Thanks. gum
The best discussion I have seen on the interchangeability of fuel canisters is here. (http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm#Interchange)

NINpigNIN
05-21-2006, 11:47
REI sells the jetboil canisters for $4 each for 100 grams (3.53 oz) of fuel. The canisters (full) weigh 6.8 ounces each - Or at least the two full ones I've got here did yesterday when I put them on my scale.

Sandy B
05-21-2006, 12:35
Thanks Roland, That is a good link (post # 12)

Easy to understand.

Sandy B

Amigi'sLastStand
05-23-2006, 18:55
Good link, Roland. I have interchanged on my JetBoil with no problems. JMO, though.

SuperTroll
05-30-2006, 15:15
I haven't run into a canister that I haven't tried on the Pocket Rocket....Snow peak, Jet Boil, MSR, Coleman, you name it, if I've ever seen it, I've tried it....no problems....

I prefer the Snow Peak or Jet Boil small canisters because they nest in my SS Nestor cup/pot and that saves me space.....

Which brings up, WHEN will someone manufacture the Olicamp or Nestor Stainless Steel Cup that a nalgene bottle nests in, out of TITANIUM?

icemanat95
05-30-2006, 15:39
Not that it means it isn't physically compatible, but on the Jetboil canister it says:

Warning - Use only with Jetboil products. Jetboil is not responsible for the misuse of this product.

Not marketing so much as Legal. Their lawyers have advised them that since they cannot control the quality of other products, that they must insulate themselves from the liability that might arise should someone blow themselves up with an inferior cartridge. In practice the president of Jetboil knows that any cartridge built to spec will work just fine, but in legal theory where his company is made or broken by a single lawsuit...he has to cover his arse.

Walkingdude
05-30-2006, 19:09
Do you guys who use them like the Pocket Rocket? I've used one for about two years now and quite like it. But I have been seriously considering going to a Pepsi can alcohol stove. Everyone seems to really like those!

Footslogger
05-30-2006, 19:11
Do you guys who use them like the Pocket Rocket? I've used one for about two years now and quite like it. But I have been seriously considering going to a Pepsi can alcohol stove. Everyone seems to really like those!
===================================
Have both and like both. Totally different types of cooking though. I'm not a huge fan of carrying (or trying to find) cannisters so I tend to use the Pocket Rocket in colder weather and on shorter trips. I like the alcohol stoves for longer duration hikes.

'Slogger