PDA

View Full Version : Where is Smoky Mountain Steve?

MOWGLI
05-20-2006, 09:49
Anyone heard from that Hillbilly lately? He hasn't been online in over 3 months. I kinda miss the old cuss, and hope he's OK.

max patch
05-20-2006, 09:53
Mowgli, how about your friend Youngblood? He hasn't posted in a long time either. Hope he's doing a long hike somewhere.

MOWGLI
05-20-2006, 10:05
Mowgli, how about your friend Youngblood? He hasn't posted in a long time either. Hope he's doing a long hike somewhere.

Youngblood is doing well. He's hiking in Georgia this week. I'll let him know he's missed.

Alligator
05-20-2006, 10:10
Mowgli, how about your friend Youngblood? He hasn't posted in a long time either. Hope he's doing a long hike somewhere.Was wondering about him too. Hope his knee is holding up.

And of course, we do miss SMS.

KirkMcquest
05-20-2006, 13:55
How about Longshanks??? Anyone miss him?? I gotta get that sob back here, shake things up alittle.

max patch
05-20-2006, 14:00
Maybe SMS is hanging out with swoondick, who also is missing.

Let me rephrase that a bit. Swoondick is gone. He certainly isn't "missed."

Dances with Mice
05-20-2006, 14:48
And how about Eyahiker or Chappy?

I was thinking about them when I trashed, among other things, a couple of cheap orange covered mouse-chewed and mildewed Gideon give away New Testaments from a shelter last weekend.

Tha Wookie
05-23-2006, 12:38
Don't worry fellas - Hayduke Lives!

Stoker53
05-23-2006, 14:28
How about Longshanks??? Anyone miss him?? I gotta get that sob back here, shake things up alittle.

What did ever happen to LS? Some of the LS/KirkMcQuest threads/posts were very enjoyable. Never dreamed that only two Yankees ( from NY to boot ) could stir up so much $hit amoung a bunch of Good 'Ole Boys. :D

Gray Blazer
05-23-2006, 14:34

Kirk, you know you and LS are one and the same.:rolleyes:

Dances with Mice
05-23-2006, 21:19
Don't worry fellas - Hayduke Lives!I'll confess: That one zoomed way over my head...

Heater
05-23-2006, 23:11
I'll confess: That one zoomed way over my head...

...ain't that the gospel truth!

Nean
05-24-2006, 00:08
Well I know about Hayduke...... not sure what that has to do w/ MS. :( Enlighten us common folk Wook.:confused: Here's one yall may not know; Damascus Daves' actual trailname is Hayduke...;)

Nean
05-24-2006, 00:13
Well I know about Hayduke...... not sure what that has to do w/ MS. :(

I hate when I get my threads mixed up.:eek: SMS is a huge EA fan and Wook is telling us he is alive and well....I hope.:) Wasn't he going off to race his dogs?

MOWGLI
05-24-2006, 06:39
For those not familiar, Hayduke is a zany character from Ed Abbey's book "The Monkeywrench Gang." SMS is a big Abbey fan.

Gray Blazer
05-24-2006, 07:14
Hayduke was a Morman, was he not?

Just Jeff
05-24-2006, 10:56
No - Seldom Seen Smith was the Mormon. Hayduke had just gotten back from Vietnam.

Clark Fork
05-24-2006, 11:23
No - Seldom Seen Smith was the Mormon. Hayduke had just gotten back from Vietnam.

Right! And Hayduke was modeled after Doug Peacock:

I can recommend "Walking it Off, " A great book by one of Ed Abbey's henchmen, and the person on whom Hayduke is based. Abbey wrote The Monkey Wrench Gang in 1975. Without consultation, Abbey based the central character of eco-guerrilla George Washington Hayduke on his long time friend Doug Peacock. Since then, Peacock has become an articulate environmental individualist writing about the West's abundant wildscapes.

My favorite quote from Doug Peacock's Book:

"In all these travels I intend to walk off the beaten paths, hike off the trails, bushwhacking in body and mind to see the world anew--it was the way I decided to live the rest of my life. I needed to get out in order to look back in. I believed that walking off my stale entrenched life and into a new beginning could succeed no matter what my age, that it had everything to do with living well each day."

Doug Peacock- Walking It off -A Veteran's Chronicle of War and Wilderness, Eastern Washington University Press 2005, p. 3 Walking It Off (http://ewupress.ewu.edu/nonfiction/walkingitoff.htm)

Purposely and gloriously off topic, an apparently welcomed right on this site.

Perhaps in the absence of SMS, someone will step forward to spout Abbey, anyone.. anyone... anyone?

Oh well, here is a dose...

Benedicto: Edward Abbey, Earth Prayers from Around the World

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing.
May your rivers flow without end,
meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells, past temples and castles and poets'
towers into a dark primeval forest where tigers belch and monkeys howl,
Through miasmal and mysterious swamps and down into a desert of red rock, blue mesas, domes and
pinnacles and grottos of endless stone,
and down again into a deep vast ancient unknown chasm
where bars of sunlight blaze on profiled cliffs,
where deer walk across the white sand beaches,
where storms come and go
as lightning clangs upon the high crags,
where something strange and more beautiful
and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams
waits for you--
beyond that next turning of the canyon walls.

Regards,

Clark Fork, "Where Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word"

Just Jeff
05-24-2006, 12:00
I thought it was ironic how the whole book was full of them tearing up and littering the environment that they were trying to protect. Lesser of two evils, I guess. Good book, though.

Gray Blazer
05-24-2006, 12:33
I thought it was ironic how the whole book was full of them tearing up and littering the environment that they were trying to protect. Lesser of two evils, I guess. Good book, though.

Yeah, you're right. When they drained the oil from the earth movers they just let it drain on the ground. My favorite part was when the sheriff's brother helped Haywood(?) out. Saved his bootie as it were.

LEGS
05-24-2006, 23:30
THANK YOU MR. FORK! THANK WAS A WELCOME QUOTE.
Right! And Hayduke was modeled after Doug Peacock:

I can recommend "Walking it Off, " A great book by one of Ed Abbey's henchmen, and the person on whom Hayduke is based. Abbey wrote The Monkey Wrench Gang in 1975. Without consultation, Abbey based the central character of eco-guerrilla George Washington Hayduke on his long time friend Doug Peacock. Since then, Peacock has become an articulate environmental individualist writing about the West's abundant wildscapes.

My favorite quote from Doug Peacock's Book:

"In all these travels I intend to walk off the beaten paths, hike off the trails, bushwhacking in body and mind to see the world anew--it was the way I decided to live the rest of my life. I needed to get out in order to look back in. I believed that walking off my stale entrenched life and into a new beginning could succeed no matter what my age, that it had everything to do with living well each day."

Doug Peacock- Walking It off -A Veteran's Chronicle of War and Wilderness, Eastern Washington University Press 2005, p. 3 Walking It Off (http://ewupress.ewu.edu/nonfiction/walkingitoff.htm)

Purposely and gloriously off topic, an apparently welcomed right on this site.

Perhaps in the absence of SMS, someone will step forward to spout Abbey, anyone.. anyone... anyone?

Oh well, here is a dose...

Benedicto: Edward Abbey, Earth Prayers from Around the World

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing.
May your rivers flow without end,
meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells, past temples and castles and poets'
towers into a dark primeval forest where tigers belch and monkeys howl,
Through miasmal and mysterious swamps and down into a desert of red rock, blue mesas, domes and
pinnacles and grottos of endless stone,
and down again into a deep vast ancient unknown chasm
where bars of sunlight blaze on profiled cliffs,
where deer walk across the white sand beaches,
where storms come and go
as lightning clangs upon the high crags,
where something strange and more beautiful
and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams
waits for you--
beyond that next turning of the canyon walls.

Regards,

Clark Fork, "Where Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word"

Lugnut
05-25-2006, 00:32
What was the original question? :D

Dave
06-02-2006, 20:35
Has anyone answered the original question about Smokey Mountain Steve?
I met him on my '03 thru hike and found him to be a very intelligent, if eccentric character that I found quite likable.
Dave