PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering bags

lilygrrrl1
05-20-2006, 14:02
hey all!

ok...so i'm thinking of buying a 20 degree Western Mountaineering UltraLite Sleeping Bag.

i've seen them...and man alive...they are lofty...pack small...and weigh pert near nothing!

i'm a cold sleeper, weigh ~ 125#, and plan to use this bag on the AT in fall and spring temps.

anyone use one before??

anyone have a comments/concerns regarding these bags??

anyone...? anyone...?? :confused:

sleep well. be well. :rolleyes:
krinkles

Kerosene
05-20-2006, 14:48
Here are a few threads that cover this bag. I think you'll find that almost everyone gives it high scores. I may be the only WhiteBlazer on the fence here, but I'm not going to write-off the bag due to one cold night since there are so many variables to sleeping warm and well.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5595

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5767

DrewNC2005
05-20-2006, 17:36
I have a MegaLite (30 degree and roomier) and I love it. Easily goes to the 30 degree mark and extremely comfortable. There are few bags out there that will get the consistently high reviews that Western bags get. Verdict: go ahead - spend the money!

Seeker
05-20-2006, 20:58
i'm a cold sleeper. i have a WM Caribou (35*). it keeps me warm to about 35*... amazing, huh? the thing's darn near waterproof too. i've pooled water on it (not on a seam though) and let it sit for 3-4 hours with no penetration. i love it.

you should have no problem except sticker shock, but imho, your money is well spent... i'm lucky to live so far south i can get away with it for a 4 season bag, but my next bag purchase will be the Alpinlite (20*) one...

EBay currently has a couple WM for sale if you're interested.

MedicineMan
05-20-2006, 21:32
i've got a versalite,megalite,linelite, ponderosa......too bad i cant comment on the ultralite :)
seriously WM bags are creme de la cream, the only thing that comes close is a quilt from Nunatak ;)

gravityman
05-20-2006, 23:59
hey all!

ok...so i'm thinking of buying a 20 degree Western Mountaineering UltraLite Sleeping Bag.
i'm a cold sleeper, weigh ~ 125#, and plan to use this bag on the AT in fall and spring temps.

Depends how early spring and late fall. We had ultralights and sold them for Super Versalites for a march 1 start, and boy were we glad. THe ultralight would be perfect for a april 1 start, or a warm sleeper. Stick '05 had an ultralight and he had a few cold nights.

It's all a matter of how you are going to use it. You might be happy with the versalite if you are pushing spring/fall, but if you are well in to spring/early fall you will be very happy with it...

Gravity

DLFrost
05-21-2006, 02:20

i've seen them...and man alive...they are lofty...pack small...and weigh pert near nothing!

anyone use one before??

anyone have a comments/concerns regarding these bags??
Just about any comment on the Ultralite you'll read online raves about it--including mine. Best bag I've ever owned. It weighs so little I tend to take it most of the time I camp, excepting the hottest parts the year.

The only downside (pardon the pun) is that the shell material is very thin so the bag needs to be babied somewhat. (I hammock, so scraping about on shelter floors isn't an issue for me.) If you're hard on gear, go with the more robust WM bags. Also, think over the girth/length measurements carefully. Do you sleep compactly or do you need extra room to turn about at night? If you need it, WM will custom build/size the bag to your requirements.

Doug Frost

Michele
05-21-2006, 10:28
Hey lilygrrrl1,

How odd you posted this. Just this past Friday, I found a local outfitter that carries the WM bags. I decided I wanted to slip into one before making a final decision about purchasing it. I'm a cold sleeper, and have been researching bags for months now. I'm definitely going with the Ultralite and am planning on using it as my only bag for my entire thru-hike next year. Here's why:

1. Full length zipper (from bottom and top) so you can unzip and make it a comforter or unzip just your feet for temp regulation

2. Has both a neck collar w/draw string and a hood w/draw string, so keeping body heat in appears to be easy to accomplish

2. It comes in 5'6", 6', and 6' 6" lengths. Now be careful here, I'm only 5' 5.5" and assumed I'd be purchasing the 5' 6" bag. This is why I went to actually get inside of one...to see the fit. The 5' 6" bag felt like a straight jacket to me. I couldn't even move my arms, so I got in the 6' bag and it was perfect...way more comfy. I'll also have about 6" at the end to use as a "clothes dryer" or to put my water to prevent freezing.

3. At 1 lb 10oz it is absolutely the lightest 20-degree down bag I've found and is 40 bucks cheaper than it's competitor (Marmot Helium which weighs in at 1 lb 13 oz for 20-degree down and only has a half-zipper)

I haven't actually ordered it yet (probably will this week), but I think you'd be making a great choice.

lilygrrrl1
05-24-2006, 20:25
thanks for everyone's input.

i never thought about actually getting inside the bag before purchasing...but will probably do just that next weekend! (a local backpacking shop also carries the WM's)

again - thank you for your invaluable comments and advice!

be well,
krinkles

Frosty
05-24-2006, 23:05
If you need it, WM will custom build/size the bag to your requirements.

Doug FrostWhere did you find out about this?Ican find nothing on their website.

Michele
05-26-2006, 10:43
I called the WM manufacturer directly last week (in California). I asked them if they would custom make a length for me. He told me they don't do that, but the bags come in 5 ft 6 in, 6 ft, and 6 ft 5 in lengths. I don't know if I got a hold of a new person, or if WM actually does not customize.

Booley
05-29-2006, 12:46
I was also thinking about the ultralight and wondering if any six footers are comfortable in the 6' model. I am exactly 6' tall myself. I don't have a retailer nearby (5hrs away) and can't slip into one to find out for myself. Great bags according to the reviews. Have heard about a few cold nights from some reviewers.

Uncle Silly
05-29-2006, 13:25
I was also thinking about the ultralight and wondering if any six footers are comfortable in the 6' model. I am exactly 6' tall myself. I don't have a retailer nearby (5hrs away) and can't slip into one to find out for myself.

I bought a HiLite (35* bag, half-zip) for trail use last year. I'm about 1/4" shy of 6' and ended up with the 6'6" length. The outfitter was out of the 6' length in the HiLite, but I did try out a 6' MegaLite and the fit was a little tight for my tastes. The 6'6" bag was much roomier. BUT -- I'm a slender fellow; if you're the broad-shouldered type, my experience may not help you much. If I were you I'd look around for a nearby outfitter who carries them, or maybe someone here on Whiteblaze who'd be willing to let you try theirs on.

btw, Yahoo Maps says you're only 2.5 hrs from Daleville VA. last year the outfitter in Daleville carried WM gear. i can't remember the name of the store though...

ARambler
05-29-2006, 13:34
It's good to get a tread on the most positively reviewed bag, the Ultralight, back on top of the list. Sounds like the Ultralight is a no brainer for you. Of course others should read the fine print. Feathered Friends makes 4 different widths in 20 deg bags. The narrow (Ultralight) cut might not be the best if you were 225 lb. A significant minority like a more durable water repellent shell, e.g. eVent.

I believe Feathered Friends is the closest competitor to Western Mountaineering (I just got the Sparrow 20 bag). I bring them up here to mention they are the most willing to customize; for example a different length zipper or overfill as well as color options. They make 4 lengths: 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, and 7.0 ft. I'm not sure a 5' 7" or 6' 1" bag is an appropriate request for customization.
Rambler

Booley
05-29-2006, 13:43
Thanks Scotsghost. That gives me an idea. I am slender as well but like to move around alot when sleeping. I like the idea of having more room (6'6" model) for clothes, room, etc. The 2 oz. penalty is not bad at all for having 6 more inches of sleeping bag room. I just don't want to be tight in the 6' bag and be compressing insulation resulting in a colder night's sleep. Thanks for the input!

DLFrost
05-30-2006, 02:06
I called the WM manufacturer directly last week (in California). I asked them if they would custom make a length for me. He told me they don't do that, but the bags come in 5 ft 6 in, 6 ft, and 6 ft 5 in lengths. I don't know if I got a hold of a new person, or if WM actually does not customize.
Well, they used to do it, but you had to wait months sometimes for the bag. Maybe they've stopped. (Bummer.) If WM doesn't do custom I'd go with Feathered Friends as ARambler suggests.

Doug Frost

Twofiddy
05-30-2006, 22:25
Check into a new back called the Summer Light. It is an overstuffed fully baffelled 30* bag that is WARM WARM WARM!!!

Mt. Rogers Outfitters is the only outfitter store carring the bag right now. It is brand new and it is great great great. I tested 1 of the production models back in March/April in Georgia and North Carolina and it is awesome awesome awesome. It was so warm in fact that I wet it out the first 2 nights and was a tad bit chilly but after realizing that I needed nothing on under it to stay warm in low 30* weather I was just fine warm and cozy.

maxNcathy
05-31-2006, 08:32
Just want to mention that Moonstone 800 Lucid is selling for $182 at Backcountry.
I ordered one and look forward to getting it.I will get another for my wife if it checks out great.
The regular price is $260...20F... 800+down...33oz for regular...full zipper...pertex shell...free deliver and you can return it if not satisfied.

Has any of you owned this bag?

orangebug
05-31-2006, 10:52
I have the long PUMA bag, prolly about 8 years old now, and doing very well after one washing. The extra length is very helpful in winter conditions, allowing me to put boots in a bag and keep them from freezing overnight. On the other hand, a longer bag means more space that you have to warm up.

Mummy bags only look constricting on the store shelve. You have plenty of room to move, other than getting you arms out of the bag.

firefly
06-03-2006, 08:23
I lucked up and found a WM Highlite on sale....absolutly loved it...bought the Ultralite too. These are great bags :)

The Solemates
06-05-2006, 09:08
just posted a review in the new gear reviews section of a mountainsmith wisp bag that I bought last year.