PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days a blast

Blissful
05-20-2006, 23:07
Just got back from my first Trail Days - what a blast! My 15 yr old loved it (he got to whittle, join in a youth Fear Factor and the hiker parade)...and I loved it too. Everyone was great, got to talk to gear guys, chill out at the coffee house at First Baptist with ladies there who did EVERYTHING to feed snacks to hungry hikers, meet with hikers at The Place, dodge water balloons and (ultra large) garbage cans of water on the hiker parade, see some interesting flicks at the Bingo Hall, and enjoy the friendly and courageous people of Damascus who let us all bombard their happy town with more crocs and kilts and water guns than I have ever seen in one place, ha ha!

What was neat too was the people from ALDHA (hope I got that right) - who welcomed us "dreamers" with a friendly smile and a banner. Made me feel good as a class of 07 and not there yet. And when I stood up as one of the future hikers, had some cheers and clapping.

Footslogger
05-23-2006, 08:33
I just got back too ...

3 days in Damascus and then Hard Core trail maintenance near Kincora Hostel.

I'm in serious "de-tox" now from all the alcohol consumed at Trail Days and the loss of sleep. Other than that it was great seeing the gang from 2003. Another great dinner on Saturday night at the pizza place. We even had rain in honor of the weather we all came to know and love during our 2003 hike.

Best regards to all ...

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
05-23-2006, 09:04
I'm back to "normal" too. Time to focus hard on the upcoming Squeaky Sub-40 Challenge.

mrc237
05-23-2006, 09:40
While driving back from TDs 2 hikers Lightning Bolt and Argo both from Brooklyn, NY were first onscene of a horrific one vehicle accident just N of Woodstock Va involving 3 senior citizens whose RV went of the road and overturned, one occupant was thrown from the vehicle and two others were trapped still in their seats and hanging upsidedown. LB and Argo bravely fought their way into the Veh. and pulled both elderly occupants out inspite of the immediate danger of fire. Trail Angels to Road Angels. Emergency Service showed just as the occupants were freed and quickly took over. Hopefully they survived.

colbys
05-23-2006, 17:00
hey good job with those two helping out in the accident...!!
got back from trail days on sunday.my first one since 1996.had a great time.got rained on on thur,fri nights but who cares...wouldnt be trail days without it.!!!
already missing the at.might head up to catawba this weekend to stuff myself at the home place and see if any thrus need trail magic...

Lone Wolf
05-23-2006, 21:16
E-Z and Lightning Bolt are two fine individuals from NY. They went thru 9/11. Lost personal friends. LB witnessed the horror. They stay with me and Gypsy at Trail Daze. That's all I have to say about that.

RIP Capt. Vincent Brunton and the 6 other firefighters from E 219/ L 105 out of Dean St., Brooklyn, NY.

Semper Fidelis

Nean
05-23-2006, 21:31
It was probably my favorite TD to date, and........I can still remember it!:D

Lone Wolf
05-23-2006, 21:59
This was my 16th Trail Daze. Too many. Gonna do somethin different next year.

Nean
05-24-2006, 00:45

Maybe you shouldn't start your Trail Days a month early LW:eek: :D
I know whatcha mean though. Living in Hot Springs the month before Trailfest almost did me in! Thank goodness --I-- had to work, otherwise I don't think I would have made it....;)

Nightwalker
05-24-2006, 02:09
My first. Won't be the last.

Local
05-24-2006, 08:52
Hey, Wolf, check out your photo here, bottom of the page:

http://www.traildays.info/photos063.html

mrc237
05-24-2006, 10:35
Thanks Wolf---Maybe NY we'll hike?

tiamalle
05-24-2006, 22:44
Thanks Wolf---Maybe NY we'll hike?We had a great time but had to leave early Sun morning.Monday we got a surprise call from
Joe Mitchell in Damascus with the American Legion saying that one of my twin sons Cody Haven had won the bicycle raffle.I had bought them 5 tickets each but never ever dreamed they would win.Also thanks,L Wolf