PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone hwlp me?

sum41punk91
05-21-2006, 01:50
Well look im gonna buy this tent, it doesnt say it is fastpackable, but i looked at the footprint and it has all of the holes and everything that is on any tent ive seen whats the deal is it still fastpackable? (kelty gunnison 2)

RITBlake
05-21-2006, 01:53
what do you mean by 'fastpackable'??

RITBlake
05-21-2006, 01:57
woh baby thats a 5+ pound tent, it doesnt sound very fast or very packable

Heater
05-21-2006, 02:08
what do you mean by 'fastpackable'??

Able to set up the fly only. (with the footprint.)

Heater
05-21-2006, 02:23
Well look im gonna buy this tent, it doesnt say it is fastpackable, but i looked at the footprint and it has all of the holes and everything that is on any tent ive seen whats the deal is it still fastpackable? (kelty gunnison 2)

I dont think this can be fastpacked.

Take a look at the Sierra designs lightning for a comparable tent that has a full coverage fly and can be fastpacked.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39165951

cannonball
05-21-2006, 08:25
I have a sierra designs lightning and have tried the fast pack set up. It will work but not nearly as stable as with the tent and the opening at the bottom is an invitation for drafts and bugs.
IMO, fast packing is the most over rated backpacking gimick since wingnut.

Lilred
05-21-2006, 08:55
If you're going to do a fastpack with your tent, you might as well just tarp it. You'd have more room and just as much protection from the bugs and elements.

sum41punk91
05-21-2006, 09:43
ok thank you all i was just curious because the rei half dome 2 is pretty much the same, but it says i can fast pack and this one doesnt

eiloen
05-21-2006, 18:15
You know...if you are looking for a tent (I am too!) Big Agnes has the event tents for sale 50% off. Those dont fast pack...but I think they are lighter than what you are looking at. The seedhouse SL tents DO fastpack, and look like they can be pitched tight to the ground, although I dont have one... I am waiting for the double rainbow...after bouncing around many other ideas including Big Agnes, Rei, and rigging a bug mesh/white lightnin tarp thing, I am just gonna go with a tarp tent. I think Henry also takes paypal, and paypal's buyer credit gives you 3 mos no interest for things over $100...that may allow you to get a better tent than you might otherwise get. Rught now I have the REI taj3 which is very heavy, and as has been mentioned when you fastpack there is a huge gap at the bottom (like 8 inches!!). I am so ready to not carry a 7lb monstrosity which packs 'down' to 1/2 my pack! Good luck with your tent quest!

Heater
05-21-2006, 19:19
I have a sierra designs lightning and have tried the fast pack set up. It will work but not nearly as stable as with the tent and the opening at the bottom is an invitation for drafts and bugs.
IMO, fast packing is the most over rated backpacking gimick since wingnut.

Yeah. I have a Lightning but never bothered setting up just the Fly. Like Lilredmg said, "may as well just tarp it". Setting up a tarp would be lighter, smaller and probably faster to put up.

The Lightnig IS a great two person tent, though.

Heater
05-21-2006, 19:27
Yeah. I have a Lightning but never bothered setting up just the Fly. Like Lilredmg said, "may as well just tarp it". Setting up a tarp would be lighter, smaller and probably faster to put up.

The Lightnig IS a great two person tent, though.

Just wanted to add that the one advantage the Lightning has over a tarp is it is a freestanding setup. You can set it up quickly and very stable just about anywhere.

Of course, the TarpTent Rainbow and Double rainbow are the answer to that if you can deal with a single wall setup but thay are not a standard tarp setup. One of these two, are probably the best lightweight shelter going right now.

cannonball
05-21-2006, 19:42
I would recomend to any one tent shopping to look into six moon designs. I got the lunar solo and am very happy with it. Weighs just over a lb and a 1/2 and packs down to about 12"x6. They also have a 2 manner thats very light but the name escapes me right now.:confused:

sixmoondesigns.com

Heater
05-21-2006, 19:44
I would recomend to any one tent shopping to look into six moon designs. I got the lunar solo and am very happy with it. Weighs just over a lb and a 1/2 and packs down to about 12"x6. They also have a 2 manner thats very light but the name escapes me right now.:confused:

sixmoondesigns.com

Europa? :-? :-? :-?

cannonball
05-21-2006, 19:46
one more tthought on the lightning. If its raining real hard you can fast pack set up. Then you can quickly set the tent part up under the fly and have a dry tent to climb in. Neccesity is the mother of invention.:D

Buckles
05-21-2006, 21:41
That's not a tent. It's a room at the Hilton, and they included the room safe (5+ lbs.!) :D

I suggest you take a look at Henry Shires' Tarptent (www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)). I have a Squall2. "With trekking pole(s) support, weighs 32 ounces complete including stakes, lines, and sewn-in floor."

Room for two, or, if you're solo you'll have plenty of room to explode the pack while inside.

sum41punk91
05-22-2006, 23:59
ya i was seriously looking into a tarp tent its on my favorites list, the only thing is i do alot of car camping and backpacking with another person so the deal is ill never have to carry all the weight... plus the uhh tarptents are pretty expensive also the big anges idea was nice i checked that out... another tent in which my freinds just purchased is the marmot aeleos which is a roony 2 man tent with knees the fact is im not looking for light and small as much as quality, practicality and substantial space

Heater
05-23-2006, 01:40
ya i was seriously looking into a tarp tent its on my favorites list, the only thing is i do alot of car camping and backpacking with another person so the deal is ill never have to carry all the weight... plus the uhh tarptents are pretty expensive also the big anges idea was nice i checked that out... another tent in which my freinds just purchased is the marmot aeleos which is a roony 2 man tent with knees the fact is im not looking for light and small as much as quality, practicality and substantial space

Get a cheap tent like a coleman or something for car camping. Why waste the money?

sum41punk91
05-23-2006, 10:40
well you forgot the part about i also backpack with other people, this includes close freinds and family and i want to have a tent of my own
but yes i already have a timbertop from walmart or kmart i dont remember the only deal is quality the tend to start leaking maybe a couple of months after you buy it, the of course they are not free standing and take about 30 minutes to pitch, its just not practical