PDA

View Full Version : Cloud9 Cabin in Hiawassee

bigben
05-21-2006, 12:37
A friend and I spent a full day there May 18-19 following our section hike from Amicalola Falls to Neel's Gap. All I can say is WOW! Awesome place. If you need a zero or a break and you're anywhere near Dick's Creek Gap, this is a perfect place to go. Very affordable, CLEAN, giant living room, TV, ample beds and bunks, laundry, hot tub(I was in it 3 separate times), pool table, ping pong table, and some of the best complementary(at least for us that night) smoked trout I've ever had. I spent some time fishing and even got a free fly fishing lesson. Caught three 3+ lb rainbow trout which were promptly fileted, vacuum-packed and frozen for the drive back to Ohio.

Frank and Laura are super-nice and they have definitely got a good thing going. Check this place out; you won't regret it.

Bigben

Lone Wolf
05-21-2006, 14:38
I am eating some smoked trout as I type, that they did up for hikers yesterday here at Trail Days. DAMN GOOD!

Dances with Mice
05-21-2006, 15:21
I am eating some smoked trout as I type, that they did up for hikers yesterday here at Trail Days. DAMN GOOD!And anyone in the N. GA vicinity interested in checking their place out and maybe catching a trout or two to smoke for your lunch, mark Aug 20 on your calanders and join in with a group fishing trip. No alcoholic beverages on this adventure, terribly sorry if that lowers the turnout. Bring the kiddies.

PM me for details.

attroll
05-23-2006, 12:25
I got the to meet the owners of this hostel at Trail Days this year. I don't know how much nicer they can come. Very, very nice people. They brought a whole bunch of cooked trout to Trail Days for people. Yum, yum.

Jack Tarlin
05-23-2006, 12:29
I met 'em in Franklin. Very nice people; every hiker I talked to this year who stayed with them raved about their place, it sounds like a really cool place to visit.

galaleemc
05-23-2006, 14:04
Wow guys, THANKS for the kind words. We are really enjoying this and look forward to next year. We visited the world famous Miss Janets on the way home from Trail Days (hope to do more there next year) and got to sample her luv for a few moments and got a tour too! See you soon.... DWM you are on my list to call...........Laura and Frank

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-23-2006, 18:44
Laura and Frank - can section hikers stay with you as well? I'm going to attempt to do Unicoi Gap to Dick's Creek Gap soon. It will likely take me at least two and maybe three days due to injuries (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=202410#post202410). A hot tub might be very helpful to my recovery from a day of hiking.

otterman
05-24-2006, 13:02
Hey bigben. I saw your trip report on Ohio backpackers and figured out that you are the same bigben. I'm a member there, but haven't done any of the group hikes. Small world. Thanks for the tip on Cloud9 Cabin.

bigben
05-24-2006, 18:42
Yeah, that's me. That's a decent, pretty active little group. I've met more than a few and hiked a little with people off that board. Don't be the least bit apprehensive about joining a trip organized there.

Bigben

tiamalle
05-24-2006, 22:31
Yeah, that's me. That's a decent, pretty active little group. I've met more than a few and hiked a little with people off that board. Don't be the least bit apprehensive about joining a trip organized there.

BigbenLaura and Fran are outstanding folks:D

galaleemc
12-20-2006, 19:22
Cloud9 is pleased to announce the addition of a Bunkhouse separate from the main house. Currently it will sleep eight $20 per person/per night with all the house privileges. It has great storage space and a nice table for more gatherings. The idea was Crutch's and all the hard work was also done by him. Please acknowledge him for this labor of love.

We are looking forward to the 2007 spring season. Please join us for St Paddy's Day March 17 for traditional and non traditional food $5 per person.

Mother Nature
12-21-2006, 01:25
This new hostel is so trail convenient and a gem!

Crutch you have done a fine job!

Anyone heading toward Hiawassee should consider stopping!

Mother Nature

Wonder
12-21-2006, 02:04
Looks awsome!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so proud, and I can't wait to get there! Less then 2 months!

maxNcathy
12-21-2006, 09:28
Lookout, here I come! to see You and check out your new place.Late March.Do you take Visa?
Sandalwood/Max

galaleemc
12-21-2006, 13:26
Visa Master Card AmEX and Paypal Max come on....however, we don't take reservations!

Thanks MotherNature, Wonderfoot you will love it! Wasn't it smart of Crutch? He is a gem.

maxNcathy
12-21-2006, 14:26
Visa Master Card AmEX and Paypal Max come on....however, we don't take reservations!

Thanks MotherNature, Wonderfoot you will love it! Wasn't it smart of Crutch? He is a gem.

Thanks, Laura, then I will come with no reservations.
Max

Wonder
12-21-2006, 18:49
Brilliant!! Can't wait!

MrHappy
03-09-2007, 11:54
Awesome place, awesome folks, can't say enough nice things to thank them for all of their help. I stayed for a week to sit out a snow-storm. Can't wait to go back and visit after my thru.

Ewker
03-09-2007, 13:32

We will see you April 6th

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2007, 17:54
Mr. Happy stayed for a week to sit out a snow storm??

Must've been one hell of a storm. :-?

Fannypack
03-09-2007, 18:24
Mr. Happy stayed for a week to sit out a snow storm??

Must've been one hell of a storm. :-?
cold weather / loneliness would be a better description
see http://2000miler.net/2007_01_01_archive.html

vaporjourney
03-10-2007, 19:59
I should be there in about 10 days. Will probably have a small maildrop waiting, which should be a great excuse to stay. Can't wait.

P.S...Love the name of the cabins.

Big Oz
03-10-2007, 23:47
I should be there in about 10 days. Will probably have a small maildrop waiting, which should be a great excuse to stay. Can't wait.

P.S...Love the name of the cabins.I want to stop in soon.Hiawassee needed a nice little hostel like this.

Wonder
03-11-2007, 00:52
We've been having a great time with everyone. We went from 5-6 hikers a night to 8-15 in no time! Everyone has been great......and always has a hard time leaving. The jacuzzi is getting a workout, and I'm figuring out the art of cooking for 15 hungry hikers every morning. I have an all new respect for Miss Janet :-)
Looking forward to seeing those headed our way, and those stoping by for St. Pattys

Trillium
03-11-2007, 23:17
We've been having a great time with everyone. We went from 5-6 hikers a night to 8-15 in no time! Everyone has been great......and always has a hard time leaving. The jacuzzi is getting a workout, and I'm figuring out the art of cooking for 15 hungry hikers every morning. I have an all new respect for Miss Janet :-)
Looking forward to seeing those headed our way, and those stoping by for St. Pattyshow long are you staying Wonderfoot?

Dances with Mice
03-11-2007, 23:18
Wonderfoot - got props? Need some?

galaleemc
03-12-2007, 11:55
FISH FISH FISH FISH FISH........

Are you coming Saturday? Bring your unicycle!

By the way Wonder will be staying until we let her go......or she gets completely insane from hikers and can't stand it any more, or she gets the itch to hike herself. Which I predict will be around April FOOLS day.

Wonderfoot - got props? Need some?

Dances with Mice
03-12-2007, 12:04
Are you coming Saturday? Bring your unicycle!I'll be there. Tamales are already made, tweaked the recipe a bit, and the test taste indicates that this is a better batch than I had at the SoRuck.

I have a uni but it's my daughter's and I can't ride it. Does 'Foot?

If there's room to spend the night I'll camp on the property and start my trek of the Georgia Loop on Sunday.

galaleemc
03-12-2007, 12:30
DWM

Foot rides??? don't know.

I eat Tamales !

Yes come and camp....we have 12 acres! Bring you family if they want to come too.

Dances with Mice
03-12-2007, 13:05
Yes come and camp....we have 12 acres! Bring you family if they want to come too.My wife was planning to, but a business trip got moved up. So I'm dropping her off at the airport Friday to catch a plane, she will land on a Sunday 12 time zones away. She won't even see a St. Patty's Day this year. And she was complaining about losing an hour to DST!

But then on the way back she lands in California an hour before she takes off.

galaleemc
03-13-2007, 00:56
You will have to sit me down - get out a world map - and attempt to explain this to me.....It will take about as long as her flights!

We had tons of meats donated by Wonders friends from Philly....did not meet them when they dropped it off...was out of town. But we are planning on smokin it. Let's see, what goes with tamales?

Dances with Mice
03-13-2007, 05:52
Let's see, what goes with tamales?. Beer .

maxNcathy
03-13-2007, 09:32
Any cable tv at cloud 9? I would like to see Survivor on Thursday at 8 pm.

Sly
03-13-2007, 10:57

It's going to be update/repeat of the 1st half of the season. The all new Survivor is a week from Wednesday,

StarLyte
03-13-2007, 10:58
Let's see, what goes with tamales?

Spanish rice.

maxNcathy
03-13-2007, 12:12
It's going to be update/repeat of the 1st half of the season. The all new Survivor is a week from Wednesday,

Thanks, Sly. good to know that as I don't care if I miss the review
Now where will I be by the next Wednesday night??? Hiawassee if I go in first gear.

Sandalwood

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 12:20

go to the holiday inn express in hiawassee

Sly
03-13-2007, 12:25

Of all the hotels/motels (not hostels) I've stayed at hiking, I still think the Hiawassee Holiday Inn Express has the best rooms/service for the money.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 12:28
Of all the hotels/motels (not hostels) I've stayed at hiking, I still think the Hiawassee Holiday Inn Express has the best rooms/service for the money.

i'm gonna try it out this year. i'll visit cloud 9 but i don't stay at hostels.

Wonder
03-13-2007, 12:39
Everyone should just camp! I live there and I might camp.
To answer all of these questions....... my friends who brought the meat were Smokey T, Caveman and Dirtnap.....tenn. not philly.
I've tried to ride a unicycle, but it's not pretty.
Props???? I have juggling rings with me, but DWM....please bring toys!!!
I really can't wait to see everyone this weekend! It should be a blast.....I can cry over my beer with other offtrail hikers about how bad we want to be on trail.
Oh, last answer......I plan on hiking out after Hiker Fools Bash....if I can keep my feet out of my boots that long!!!!!

Dances with Mice
03-13-2007, 13:09
Props???? I have juggling rings with me, but DWM....please bring toys!!!I'll be leaving some there. I showed Skidsteer & Two Speed the waterproof, packable lightweight juggling balls I don't use anymore and I've got a battered and tattered but serviceable set of clubs that I'm giving away to needy jugglers (... yes, that is redundant...) to make room in my closet. So I've got 3 Todd Smiths (http://www.toddsmith.com/prods/clubs-euros.shtml)that you can donate to the cabin when you leave if you don't want them.

We were talking about prop accumulation at the juggling club last week (...where I'll be donating more clubs this week...) and the same situation relates to camping equipment. First there's the latest and greatest shiney new stuff that you don't let anyone else touch, right?

Then there's the slightly older stuff that the new stuff replaced, and that's what you carry around to club meetings and festivals, like a tent that you'd lend to a friend. Then there's the really old, worn stuff that's still in the closet and you might let some Scouts use because they can't damage it any more than it already is.

But then there's the really, really old stuff that you can't give away because it was the first stuff you got and you have to keep it for sentimental reasons. Can anybody relate?

So in the next to last category, the old worn stuff, I've got about a dozen clubs. They've been glued, screwed, and taped back together but they still work. I'm giving them all away. That should get my collection of remaining clubs down to around 40 or so.

maxNcathy
03-13-2007, 13:44

Thanks for the info, Lone Wolf. That's what I will do, no doubt.

galaleemc
03-14-2007, 07:24
And we even get Survivor up here! I watch it too.

The TV in the great room at Cloud9 is 52 inches.........big enough!

oh ye of little faith. You even get to watch TV if you camp.

maxNcathy
03-14-2007, 07:55
And we even get Survivor up here! I watch it too.

The TV in the great room at Cloud9 is 52 inches.........big enough!

oh ye of little faith. You even get to watch TV if you camp.

WOW that is the tv for me. May I watch Survivor with you?
Sandalwood/Max

Turtle2
03-14-2007, 22:27
Crutch is a great guy! If you see him, tell him the Tooth Fairy said hi! My stay at Cloud 9 was fantastic during my thru last year! Thanks!!

tiamalle
03-14-2007, 22:46
Crutch is a great guy! If you see him, tell him the Tooth Fairy said hi! My stay at Cloud 9 was fantastic during my thru last year! Thanks!!Crutch is in Franklin

galaleemc
03-15-2007, 14:27
If I am here and will be watching it and not running a marathon around here YES YOU CAN! Ours is even bigger than Cloud9's.

We are in hyper mode to ready this place for St Paddy's......ya'll come!

Turtle2 HI:D

WOW that is the tv for me. May I watch Survivor with you?
Sandalwood/Max

cannonball
03-15-2007, 14:38
Last Summer I took my kids to the trout farm and had a great time. We were trated like kings and given a full tour which included Cloud nine.
I have 2 questions that remain however about cloud nine. 1. Cloud nine is soooooooooo nice why do you allow hiker trash in there? You should charge them to just stand outside and look through the window.:eek: 2. Do you envision ever doing shuttles back to Am. Falls?

galaleemc
03-15-2007, 15:11
Hi CB

We sure do miss John around here....he is back in CA.

Yes this place is heaven....but the best part of it IS SHARING IT....even with hiker trash.

Shuttles....yes when we can afford the vehicle, the time, the gas, the time, the insurance, the time, afford to pay employees, the time, etc etc.

Thanks for nice words........now I have a question for you......R U coming up for St. Paddy's?

Last Summer I took my kids to the trout farm and had a great time. We were trated like kings and given a full tour which included Cloud nine.
I have 2 questions that remain however about cloud nine. 1. Cloud nine is soooooooooo nice why do you allow hiker trash in there? You should charge them to just stand outside and look through the window.:eek: 2. Do you envision ever doing shuttles back to Am. Falls?

Lone Wolf
03-15-2007, 15:46
I'm looking at parking my truck at y'alls place on March 21st and getting a shuttle to Amicalola the same day then hiking back. what y'all think. feasible?

galaleemc
03-15-2007, 18:37
Like Totally man.

Call us....706 896 8959

over and out for 2 inch one hour to cook Chicago pizza

I'm looking at parking my truck at y'alls place on March 21st and getting a shuttle to Amicalola the same day then hiking back. what y'all think. feasible?

mweinstone
03-15-2007, 18:50
cloud 9 is good. laura, good. wonder and crutch? gooder.
oxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoooxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxooxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooooooooooo oxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooxxxxxxxxoooooooooxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxooxoxxxoxoxoxooxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxox oxoxxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxox ooxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoooxoxooxoxoxxoxoxoxooxoxoxo xoxoxooxoxooxo mat

peanuts
03-15-2007, 20:15
did you say.....CHICAGO PIZZA!!!!!!!! stuffed????

Lone Wolf
03-15-2007, 20:18
Like Totally man.

Call us....706 896 8959

over and out for 2 inch one hour to cook Chicago pizza

huh? guess i'll make other arrangements. i ain't gettin' it

peanuts
03-15-2007, 20:22
huh? guess i'll make other arrangements. i ain't gettin' it

i think she says its a go, just call her with the details....:rolleyes:

John Klein
03-15-2007, 22:12
Last Summer I took my kids to the trout farm and had a great time. We were trated like kings...
Would I be able to bring my son to fish and camp overnight? We're not thru hikers.

Skidsteer
03-15-2007, 22:20
Would I be able to bring my son to fish and camp overnight? We're not thru hikers.

Me neither.

Come on up. It'll be a good time.

John Klein
03-16-2007, 19:20
Me neither.

Come on up. It'll be a good time.
We can't go on St. Patrick's day. I meant sometime in April.

Skidsteer
03-16-2007, 20:14

We can't go on St. Patrick's day. I meant sometime in April.

Fishing is a large part of the point.;)

I doubt you'd be turned away. I imagine Laura is hip deep in alligators right now getting everything ready for tomorrow or she'd most probably have chimed in by now. :)

galaleemc
03-16-2007, 22:29
Friends and Family: Friends and family of AT Hikers are also allowed at Cloud9 for the same price as a Hiker, however, we do ask that Hikers have first dibs regardless of arrival times.

John we have plenty of camping spots. Fish $5 per pound we have all the gear you would need. Bring a cooler from transport home. See more info on our web.

Lone Wolf
03-28-2007, 19:09
i just spent some time at cloud 9 hostel. i don't normally stay at hostels but fran & laura got it goin' on. LOTS of room to tent. very nice private rooms and a bunkhouse that is not cramped and confining. very relaxing place to hang. big smoked trout dinner last night followed by a big camp fire with guitar pickin' and singin'. i highly recommend staying there.

cornflake
03-28-2007, 21:56
Last week I was about three miles from Dick's Gap and hurting with a leg problem that eventually took me off the trail (for this year), when I ran into Frank. He was just up there hiking and goofing around and asked if he could carry my pack for me. It was exactly the kind of trail magic I needed at the time. Stayed at Cloud9 for a couple of nights while I arranged transportation back to Colorado and had the time of my life . . . trout, beer, poker, and the best people I could ever hope to meet. Had me hoping my flight would be cancelled.

Wonder
03-29-2007, 08:19
I miss it........

DavidNH
03-29-2007, 10:32
Folks,

the Cloud nine hostel is not to be missed!

I stayed there in March of 2006 on my hike. I did not even know about the place but when I got to the road crossing, Frank and Wonderfoot just happened to swing by and pick me up.

The cost was 20 $ then, I think it is 25 now. Anyway, you have a wonderful house. TV, linenes, laundry. There is a fishfarm there and Hiawassee is under 10 miles away. I found the place to be really comfortable, and as others have said Frank is real nice guy. I believe he moved over from the UK.

I don't know weather they feed you or not. There is a kitchen and one could always call and order a pizza delivery.

I would say cloud 9 was my best stay in GA.

DavidNH

galaleemc
03-29-2007, 18:26
Thanks for the kind words you guys!

Cornflake I hope your leg is better.

galaleemc
04-18-2007, 22:51
FYI The Last night Cloud9 and the Bunkhouse is open to hikers will be May 9. We will allow tenting and use of our Camper at our usual rates. Mail drops and parking will still be allowed.

galaleemc
07-04-2007, 14:21
Cloud9 the AT Hiker's Hostel and Vacation Rental Home is “For Sale by Owner” and is being offered to the AT community First. Buy the home and get the business for free. $235,000.00

This successful hostel saw OVER 400 hikers last year, many staying more than one night during Mid February to the first week in May.

The Home is 1.5 miles from the trail in Hiawassee GA at Dick’s Creek Gap.

The home itself is 1800 Sq Ft. on a creek with 3 BR 2 BA, DR, huge great room about 16 x 35 ft. The property is 1.02 acres. Included is a tree house, and separate building – the Bunkhouse 20 x 20 ft, with a carport and behind it is a covered Jacuzzi that is included. All furniture, appliances, linens, Large screen TV, DVD player, kitchen equipment, utensils and much, much more. Please see our website and links for more photos. Not included is personal art and lawn furniture. Everything you need to just pick it up a go.

You have many options with this home as a business and living here as well. You could live in the home yourself and just do the Bunkhouse, treehouse and camping. You could allow folks to stay in the house with you. Another option would be to buy available acreage – sold separately, build your own home or another bunkhouse type facility and expand the business as you wish. We are outside the city limits. The only inspection requirement is water testing if you allow camping.

This is an amazing opportunity for an AT enthusiast looking to be more involved with the trail.

If you have any questions please email or PM me STRAIGHT FORWARD Only please. Serious inquiries please call 706 896 8959.

peanuts
07-05-2007, 10:50
why are you selling????

Lone Wolf
07-05-2007, 10:53
why are you selling????

cuz hikers are demanding, lazy and they stink?:D