PDA

View Full Version : Question about LED headlamps

UnkaJesse
05-22-2006, 08:23
I've got a Princeton Tec Scout headlamp. It was the only one I could find that clips on a ball cap, so I save the weight of the strap, etc. It's not the brightest thing out there, but it's featherweight.

Anyway, here's my question.....

This thing eats batteries. I've never run it down while using it. The batteries run down while it is not being used. I'm about to buy my third set of watch batteries, so I thought I'd ask if this is normal.

Should I take the batteries out when it is not in use?

And, the second part of my question....

If this is normal, where can you get watch batteries in multi-packs. It's killing to buy them singly at the drug store. This light takes four.

Many thanks,

UnkaJesse

the goat
05-22-2006, 08:25
i've got a petzl led light and it lasts forever on 3 aaa batteries. something like 50+ hours.

SGT Rock
05-22-2006, 08:28
My Zipka is the same as Goat's. The batteries last forever. But for a battery pack you could take some duct tape and make one yourself. Then you simply add or remove all at once.

Just Jeff
05-22-2006, 10:13
If you're using it in cold weather, the batteries will drain faster than normal.

Doctari
05-22-2006, 10:18
Just a theory, based on my watch battery light experience: Batteries lasted over a year in storage in the light. You may have a very small short in the light. Try taking the batteries out OR put a small slip of paper in between the contacts & the batteries. If this stops them discharging, see if you can return the light for an exchange.

Doctari.

atraildreamer
05-22-2006, 10:20
This thing eats batteries. I've never run it down while using it. The batteries run down while it is not being used. I'm about to buy my third set of watch batteries, so I thought I'd ask if this is normal.

I used to keep a Maglite Solitaire (1 AAA battey, light is about 3 " long) in my shirt pocket while working to have in case of emergencies. :eek: I found that I had to replace the battery every month, even though I seldom used the light.:mad: I suspect that body heat had something to do with the battery running down, however, since I switched to a similar light that uses an LED, instead of a incadescant bulb, I have not had to change the battery since I started using the light about 6 months ago.:confused: Maybe this post will help, but I am still confused as to what is happening to the batteries.:datz

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-22-2006, 11:55
You may have a very small short in the light. Try taking the batteries out OR put a small slip of paper in between the contacts & the batteries. If this stops them discharging, see if you can return the light for an exchange.Excellent advice and exactly what I thought might be the problem. I have a rarely used LED clip-on type ligth in my glove box that runs on watch / hearing aid batteries. It has been going for over four years without needing new batteries so I suspect you have a short in yours.

UnkaJesse
05-22-2006, 16:33
Well, this is my final set of batteries. If these drain down in storage, I'm exchanging it. I'll use it this weekend. I did put tape around the batteries that I'll pull off on the trail. (Hopefully before the sun sets!)

Thanks for all your input!

DLFrost
05-23-2006, 03:43
I've got a Princeton Tec Scout headlamp. It was the only one I could find that clips on a ball cap, so I save the weight of the strap, etc. It's not the brightest thing out there, but it's featherweight.

Anyway, here's my question.....

This thing eats batteries. I've never run it down while using it. The batteries run down while it is not being used.
It's not normal. The batteries they use are lithiums, so only current leakage could account for the drain. I've had a Scout for over two years and am only now having to replace the batteries. Well, I don't have to... But I checked them just now and think I will anyway because they are finally getting dimmer. I also carry the Princeton Tec Eclipse II for backup (it comes with a hatband clip, and is 1 led/2 batteries). Currently the output of my Scout equals the Eclipse, which got new batteries recently.

Short version: Yea, take it back.

Doug Frost