PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound/Amtrak at/near Damascus?

nyushka42
05-22-2006, 09:55
Hi, last week, near Deep Gap, NC, right after Standing Indian Shelter, I tripped up & strained my Achilles tendon. I went into Franklin, where they told me to stay off it for a week, and now that a week has passed, and the ankle is just a little stiff but otherwise fine, I want to get back on the trail. Only problem is, I'm now in Fayetteville (figured better to stay with friends rather than a cold hotel room, now that there aren't many hikers coming thru Franklin to split hotel room costs with). Because of time constraints, I've decided to skip NC for now, and hike Virginia, to be in Harpers Ferry by July (that was my original destination for this year). Only problem is, I can't find anywhere how to get to Damascus by bus or train.... Does anyone know the closest town that Geryhound or Amtrak go? I'd greatly appreciate it.

the goat
05-22-2006, 10:01
Hi, last week, near Deep Gap, NC, right after Standing Indian Shelter, I tripped up & strained my Achilles tendon. I went into Franklin, where they told me to stay off it for a week, and now that a week has passed, and the ankle is just a little stiff but otherwise fine, I want to get back on the trail. Only problem is, I'm now in Fayetteville (figured better to stay with friends rather than a cold hotel room, now that there aren't many hikers coming thru Franklin to split hotel room costs with). Because of time constraints, I've decided to skip NC for now, and hike Virginia, to be in Harpers Ferry by July (that was my original destination for this year). Only problem is, I can't find anywhere how to get to Damascus by bus or train.... Does anyone know the closest town that Geryhound or Amtrak go? I'd greatly appreciate it.

try abingdon, VA....it's about 20 - 25 minutes from damascus. you should be able to hitch it, it's a stright shot once you're on route 58.

good luck!

papa john
05-22-2006, 10:02
Ithink the closest town that Greyhound goes to is Marion, Va. Distance is about 30 miles.

gsingjane
05-22-2006, 19:45
You need to go to Bristol. The Greyhound doesn't go to Abingdon anymore.

Jane in CT

Frosty
05-22-2006, 20:00
You need to go to Bristol. The Greyhound doesn't go to Abingdon anymore.

Jane in CTOr Marion, VA, a few miles from Atkins, VA

or Bluefield, WV, a few miles from Bastian, VA

papa john
05-22-2006, 20:03
Bristol, TN is also about 30 miles to Damascus.

nyushka42
05-23-2006, 15:19
Thank you!