PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut my hair?

To Be Determined
05-22-2006, 18:46
I couldn't find this topic anywhere and I suppose this may not even be the right place for it, but I was wondering, should I cut my hair? I'm a guy and have pretty short hair right now. Not a buzz cut or anything, but in no way could it be considered long. I also have a goatee and moustache. I figure when I'm on the trail I won't be cutting my hair or shaving regularly, so is there any point in doing it before I leave? I'm starting on the 31st (:banana ).

Vi+
05-22-2006, 18:50
Don't be afraid; enjoy your newfound freedom.

Skidsteer
05-22-2006, 19:35
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=974&highlight=cut+hair

Mouse
05-22-2006, 20:53
I have seen everything from shaven heads (on both men and women) to manes suitable for cave-men.

saimyoji
05-22-2006, 20:59
The rule is if you ask that question here, you have to shave your entire body.

Sorry, that should read ENTIRE body. :D

Seeker
05-22-2006, 23:05
i'm still a thru-hiker in planning, but have taken a couple long trips to weird places where you carried a heavy pack while eating weird foods, drinking questionable water, slept on the ground, and had few opportunities to bathe. we all shaved our heads pretty closely. some shaved entirely, some just cropped it really short. but it's a lot easier to keep clean, keep cool, and keep neat and combed when it's really short. keeps the lice away too.

should i be able to thru hike someday, i will crop my hair very short.

Whistler
05-22-2006, 23:14
Learn how to cut your own hair, it's not too hard. That way, you can pretty much cut it on a whim wherever you can find a pair of scissors, which is just about everywhere. And yeah, I'd go ahead and get the hair cut before you leave. The clean, trim look will provide nice contrast with your grubby photos at the finish :)
-Mark

K0OPG
05-23-2006, 07:37
:mad: Jeremiah Johnson is rolling in his grave. LET IT GROW!

latte
05-23-2006, 08:30
First let me say that I am a female section hiker with long hair. I have seen MANY thru hikers over the past few years, male and female, as I usually hike in NH when they begin to come through the state. Let's just say that thru hikers have a 'look" about them. They are thinner than most, healthier looking than most, and travel worn. They have a particular brand of hair derived from the abuses of the voyage, and have various stages of moustaches and beards. Regardless of whether you cut your hair or don't, everyone will know you are a through hiker by New England. So don't worry about it. Cut your hair the way you like it now, and put it in a pony tail once it gets long for heat relief. It will be the last thing on your mind while you are hiking in the rain, snow, experiencing beautiul vistas, eating Ramen for the 500th time, or sitting by a fire experiencing comraderie with other hikers.

I will say one more thing. When your hair grows past normal male standards (longer than 1 inch), there is nothing better than a good combing in the evening. It feels great, is re-energizing, and helps keep leaves and ticks out of your hair!:sun

BTW, have a blast out there and enjoy every minute!

Green Bean
05-23-2006, 10:43
I used to have pretty long hair down below the shoulder blades and I was totally fine , but as soon as I got a landscaping job that pony tail was cut right off. ~GB

Footslogger
05-23-2006, 10:55
Sometimes I wish I had hair to cut !! Wash more face and comb less hair every day. I suppose this is just my way of rationalizing my state of follicular challenge ...but I think that hair is highly overrated.

Then again, I have enough beard to make up for the lack of head covering.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
05-23-2006, 11:03
Yes, cut your hair. Stop shaving though.

Mags
05-23-2006, 11:34
What I wrote before:

Since 18, I've have had a "buzz cut". During winter it is all of 1/4", during the summer it is 1/8". Before the AT in 1998, cut ir really short (1/8") let it grow the whole time. After the trail, had hair to part for the first time in many years. :) Just before doing the PCT in 2002, thought it would be neat to grow my hair long enough to put into a pony tail. As my hair line was receeding , figure it was "now or never". Well, tell you what: I HATE LONG HAIR ON THE TRAIL! I'd get into town and it would be all greasy and was murder in the desert. As soon I arrived at a hostel, buzzed it to 1/8". Ah...much better.

I paid $15 for clippers and continue to buzz my hair. As my hair continues to thin out and receede, it is also the best way for me to go. :)

Currently clean shaven, but my trail beard ain't too shabby! Insert your jokes about pirates and/or Bedouins here. :)
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=4671

POST SCRIPT: My beard is back, if very trim. Plan on letting it go for the CDT. My hair is now 1/8" all year. I am thinking of putting clippers in my bounce box to keep it down short.

bigcranky
06-05-2006, 18:42
I'm still at 1/4 inch (#2 guard) on the hair, 1/8 inch on the beard. I too have thought about bouncing my clippers on the trail, but then I would miss out on getting my hair cut at the local barbershops along the trail. It's a good way to meet the locals, just make sure you take a shower first <g>.

Just Jeff
06-05-2006, 19:26
Wash more face and comb less hair every day.

The more hair you lose, the more head you get.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-05-2006, 21:51
I shave with a #2 all the way around and stop shaving about week before I take a long hike. That way I get the itchies out of the way at home and so I know my hair follicles/pores are sealed against dirt. I will not shave again until I'm home.

If you do shave on the trail, both ladies and men, please listen up:

You must first thoroughly wash the area to be shaved with soap and water, not just the shaving cream. Make sure you scrub really good so that the hairs move around. Wash your hands very well, also. I would not recommend a "the closest shave in the world" brand either. A two blade is good enough.
Clean your razor after each use with denat alcohol then rinse with water.
All this is needed to avoid a dermal staph infection.

RITBlake
06-10-2006, 00:52
cripes, is the picture really necessary?

Buckingham
06-10-2006, 03:39
I lost a bet the day before I first hiked the trail 13 years ago, and had to shave my head bald. I brought no hat, and learned a painful lesson. Just do what feels right. If it don't work this time, it just gives you another reason to go back and do it again:D

weary
06-10-2006, 10:13
....I was wondering, should I cut my hair? ...
Only if you want to.

Doctari
06-10-2006, 11:34
I lost a bet the day before I first hiked the trail 13 years ago, and had to shave my head bald. I brought no hat, and learned a painful lesson. Just do what feels right. If it don't work this time, it just gives you another reason to go back and do it again:D

Yes, have some sort of head covering if you have short or missing hair. :p
If you forget a hat, a bandana will suffice. Most of my hair is,,, missing, but sometimes I forget I have no natural protection there, OUCH! Sad thing is, i have been missing the majority of me hair since I was about 23, so more than 1/2 my life, yet I still forget.

Oh, and my "vote" is: shave it all off, he he, he he, he he.

Doctari.

tolkien
05-04-2011, 19:05
I used to have an epic ponytail, so I think I know what I'm talking about when I say that growing your hair out is great, but if you don't clean it then you're going to be miserable.

Trailbender
05-05-2011, 10:53
I did my 2010 thru with shoulder length dreads with no issues. I had short hair in the military, and prefer it long. If I am hot, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I notice it is warmer in the winter though. I shaved off my dreads, growing my hair out again, will be long, but not dreads.

10-K
05-05-2011, 11:21
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=974&highlight=cut+hair

You do realize of course if we did this every time a question was asked we'd have nothing to talk about, right?? :)

max patch
05-05-2011, 13:32
Internet forums are a funny thing.

An adult feels the need to ask other adults if he "should get a haircut."

20+ other adults feel the need to weigh in with an opinion.

Weird.

WingedMonkey
05-05-2011, 13:57
Does tolkien know he is answering 5 year old threads?
Since the OP disappeared soon after that, he was either one of the 80% or found WB useless.
:p

protargol
05-05-2011, 15:19
Since the OP disappeared soon after that, he was either one of the 80% or found WB useless.
:p

80% of what?

mweinstone
05-05-2011, 15:28
sunburn on your head hurts sooo bad. dont let it happen to you. only you can prevent high and dry, jarhead and bowl cut. ask your doctor if hippie is right for you

some users exsperience chicks in heat