PDA

View Full Version : best rain gear for thru-hike

baerbelleksa
05-22-2006, 20:42
suggestions? i've got a northface shell that's a little worn now (it's about 3 yrs old) that i was planning to take on my thru-hike. should that be sweet, or should i search out something else for top, and what's best to get for bottom?

Lone Wolf
05-22-2006, 20:49
Frogg Toggs

Mouse
05-22-2006, 20:51
Any good breathable rainshell will work for the top half: Goretex and the like or Frog Togs are popular choices. Many end up discarding rain pants as not very helpful. A garbage-bag for a rain skirt works about as well and is much lighter.

Once summer sets in I traded my Goretex jacket for a simple nylon cycling jacket. It was just enough to retain my body heat when it rained, which is about all raingear can do. Sooner or later water seeps in, the important thing is to keep enough water out and enough heat in to prevent hypothermia from setting in.

Frosty
05-22-2006, 21:03
www.thepacka.com

Only way to keep you and your pack (including packstraps) dry.

TDale
05-22-2006, 21:08
www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com)

Not the only way. A poncho works well for that, also. And can double as shelter.

Moxie00
05-22-2006, 21:53
Froggs Toggs. I have a top I've had for six years, still works well but they are so cheap I have two sets. Get a pack cover, all you need then is Froggs Toggs

KEGGER
05-23-2006, 05:20
www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com)

I have a refurbished Orange XL packa on ebay. It is currently at $5

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Packa-Total-coverage-for-Hiker-and-Backpack_W0QQitemZ8816136812QQcategoryZ74005QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I also have a gear deal that includes a Gregory z-pack (used) but in very good shape, a new Packa and some shell mitts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEAR-DEAL-Gregory-Zpack-The-Packa-Shell-Mits_W0QQitemZ8816156455QQcategoryZ36111QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I also have 1 large eVent Packa available. I sold 2 eVent Packas at Trail Days. Thanks
Cedar Tree

Peaks
05-23-2006, 09:26
suggestions? i've got a northface shell that's a little worn now (it's about 3 yrs old) that i was planning to take on my thru-hike. should that be sweet, or should i search out something else for top, and what's best to get for bottom?

Like all gear, there are choices and compromizes to be made.

Umbrellas and ponchos may work great for much of the trail, but don't work well when it's windy.

For a top, jackets like the Marmot Precip and Red Ledge are popular. They are more durable than the Frogg Troggs. But, Frogg Toggs do work very well for many.

For bottoms, it depends in part on what else you are taking, and when. For example, in summer, Frogg Toggs are usually the only long pants that I take with me. And that assumes that I'm staying on existing trails and not doing any bushwacking or going off trail. Often, if the rain is warm, I may not put them on.

Currently you have a rain jacket. Is it still waterproof? And does the weight savings justify buying another rain jacket?

SGT Rock
05-23-2006, 09:31
Your question "the best" isn't an easy answer because that depends on what you want. As you can see, some folks like a poncho because it covers everything, Some folks like GoreTex (for unexplained reasons), and some like Frogg Toggs because they are cheap and light. I use a combination of a Packa for the top because it gives me the benefits of covering my pack and straps plus good ventilation like a poncho with the form fitting protection of a jacket. For pants I like the Frogg Togg stuff because it is light and cheap.

chris
05-23-2006, 09:43
As a different option, I would consider bringing a windshirt and an umbrella. I'm not a huge fan of Frogg Toggs anymore, despite using them on my PCT thruhike. For the AT, which is far, far wetter, and far, far, warmer, and far, far, more tree covered, an umbrella will work well. A windshirt made of eVENT or Gore N2S very water resistant, perhaps (in the Gore case) more so than Frogg Toggs. The MEC Vapour Trail is about 11 oz. and, I think, about the most perfect bit of gear I own. I've been using it hard since January and water still beads up on it. The umbrella will keep the deluges off of you and give you a dry place to take a break when you want it.

Just Jeff
05-23-2006, 09:52
BPL has dropstoppers for $16. I just got mine yesterday and the set weighs 11.4 oz. Haven't used them yet - they're definitely not for off-trail, though. But at that price I'd feel comfortable with another set in a bounce box or something.

max patch
05-23-2006, 10:43
Thinking back to when I was 22 and just out of college -- not a lot of extra money to burn -- I'd say stick with what you got as long as it still repells water.

If you have to buy something I'd the Precip to go on sale. They ususally do in the Fall.

I don't like Frogg Toggs because of durability issues. Many people disagree with me.

lonehiker
05-23-2006, 12:08
For those that have responded that they use the Packa as their upper-body raingear, what do you use if you are not wearing your packs? Do you carry a separate rain top or detach the packa from your pack and wear it. If the later, don't your risk your pack getting wet if you can't find a suitable shelter?

SGT Rock
05-23-2006, 12:13
I wear my pack under my packa while walking. When I stop for the night I have my hammock tarp I can set up over my gear before removing my packa completely (the tarp is in an easy to get to pocket) but my pack also has a pack liner and is made of sil-nylon itself plus just about everything in my pack is contained in sil-nylon bags. I am paranoid about getting stuff wet so I have taken extra precautions.

MacGyver2005
05-23-2006, 12:15
I don't like Frogg Toggs because of durability issues. Many people disagree with me.

I agree whole-heartedly. My father and I both took a pair on our thru-hike and are not impressed with the durability. After a bit of use you end up with more water pooling inside the sleeve than the top actually repels.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Footslogger
05-23-2006, 12:46
It depends a lot on the type of rain you get on your hike. For light intermittent drizzle you can get away with just about anything on the market that meets your weight requirements.

That said ...if you hike during a year when the rain is hard, steady and continues day after day after day then you might want to be fairly selective in terms of rain gear.

The laminates (nylon on a membrane of some sort) are nice but in the type of heavy rain described above the outer nylon "soaks out" after a while and the coat gets heavy. Plus once that happens they take longer to dry out.

If you want something that sheds water well, is light weight and doesn't "soak out" or get heavier when wet then you might want to consider either Frogg Toggs or a silnylon type of rain jacket/packa. The silnylon stuff doesn't breath but it is light and dries quickly.

I started out in 2003 with a jacket from Sierra Designs called the "Peak Bagger". Great coat, in fact I use it a lot nowadays around town at home. But on the trail it became a dawgawn boat anchor. I sent it home at Hot Springs and bought Frogg Toggs. Got the coat and pants but sent the pants home. Carried them all the way to Katahdin and they worked well.

Since then I've purchased the "Packa" and with the exception of the fact that silnyon doesn't breathe, it has become my favorite. With the zippered vents and the fact that it fits "over" your packs shoulder straps, it doesn't get as hot as you might imagine.

'Slogger

subigo
05-23-2006, 14:55
Nothing beats my $5 poncho.

Uncle Silly
05-23-2006, 17:44
I love my Frogg Toggs ... 1100 miles and they're fine. They'll wear through eventually, but I'll probably just get another pair to replace them. :)

Mr. Clean
05-23-2006, 18:07
and have to say I liked it. I was dry from the waist up, but kilt and boots were soaked, possibly due to over the knee water and mud. The only thing I haven't really figured out is how to pull my arms in and remove pack while still wearing the packa. I ended up doing a brief total removal, then slung the packa back over me, thereby enjoying a nice, quiet lunch in the driving Mahoosuc rains with my pack sitting on my feet. Anyone have tricks for this, or does one need to be a contortionist?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-23-2006, 18:22
Frogg Toggs pants and a poncho for heavy rain - an umbrella for light rain. The umbrella is also great for heavy sun, wind protection at one end of a tarp and midnight trips to the potty in the rain. The pants are great for wind protection and an extra layer for warmth. The poncho has been used as a tarp for breaks, a place to keep gear dry when space in the shelter is limited and with a rope belt for protection from serious wind / rain.

Frosty
05-23-2006, 18:25
Not the only way. A poncho works well for that, also. And can double as shelter.I haven't used a poncho as rain gear in over 15 years. I ditched my last one with my last canvas backpack and belt ax. Well, maybe a little after. :D

I think ponchos are good as shelters and as a packcover, and okay in the summer as raingear (when you don't mind if you get wet). And they are cheap. But they have never been very good at keeping me dry, particularly my arms. They do have great breathability (especially in the wind, alas).

Becasue I don't seem to be kept dry in them, I wouldn't recommend them for any temps at which hypothermia might occur.

YMMV.

Downside of a Packa is that if you take a break in the rain, you must take you rain gear off in order to take your pack off.

KEGGER
05-23-2006, 18:40
and have to say I liked it.

Good

The only thing I haven't really figured out is how to pull my arms in and remove pack while still wearing the packa.

Mr. Clean, I don't think this is possible. If you want to remove your pack, you must remove your packa first, or at the same time.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments on the Packa. Things have been going well lately. I've sold 14 in the last month.
CT

KEGGER
05-23-2006, 18:45
Sorry for the last two posts under Kegger's name. They were both mine. Kegger is a current thru who stayed with me Sunday night. I didn't realize he had logged on to Whiteblaze. Although, he is now a Packa owner too. By the way, it is his Gregory Z-pack I am selling on ebay.
Cedar Tree

Skidsteer
05-23-2006, 18:56
BPL has dropstoppers for $16. I just got mine yesterday and the set weighs 11.4 oz. Haven't used them yet - they're definitely not for off-trail, though. But at that price I'd feel comfortable with another set in a bounce box or something.

I have three sets.

I bought the second and third set after a successful test of the first set in an impressive rainstorm because:

-a product that works and is inexpensive is generally unavailable by the time the original gives up the ghost.
-they're flimsy as hell.

Plusses:

-very waterproof
-very windproof(with one exception;see below)
-very breathable
-cheap

Minuses:

-they are easily punctured by anything from blackberry bushes to halitosis.(roll-on seam seal is jam-up for pinholes)
-the storm flap will not protect your front zipper in a strong wind because the material is so light.(I am planning to add velcro in strategic places as a remedy)

I'll probably go with Frogg Toggs for a thru-hike, but the Dropstoppers work fine for my most frequent length of hike(2-7 days).

Heater
05-23-2006, 19:16
I have three sets.

-they are easily punctured by anything from blackberry bushes to halitosis.(roll-on seam seal is jam-up for pinholes)

They sell Listermint in the tiny bottles, don't they?
Hold the garlic! :eek:

Skidsteer
05-23-2006, 19:46
They sell Listermint in the tiny bottles, don't they?
:eek:

Great idea! I'll dump out the listermint and fill 'em with tequila and....ah...maybe..that's.. the...problem. :D

B Thrash
05-25-2006, 20:13
Frogg Toggs

Spock
05-25-2006, 23:06
There are lots of choices in very inexpensive, w/b raingear that is lighter and more breathable than GoreTex. Micropore Drop Stoppers ($20, 10 ounces/suit), Dryducks ($25, 10 ounces/suit), Durafab ($5-10, 10 ounces/suit), FroggTogs ($65-70, 13 oz/suit). There is no reason to limit yourself to an overweight jacket when you can have a whole suit for 1/2 the weight. None of these are very durable, but you don't really need durable on the AT. Keep the rain pants until you are out of the Smokies, then dump 'em. Use the top as a windshirt.

warren doyle
05-26-2006, 10:34
For May, June, July, August, and September, 55 gallon trash can liners.

RadioFreq
05-30-2006, 18:03
While out last week for 4 1/2 days on the Border Trail through the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in northern MN I had my first opportunity to try out my Dry Ducks. There was one night of thunderstorms and it was pouring when I slid out of my dry HH in the morning. They kept me dry and comfortable as I worked to lower our bear bag and prepped breakfast.

One problem though: The area I was hiking in was subject to a lot of blowdowns. That morning the rains stopped right before we broke camp, but since everything was still very wet I kept my Dry Ducks on for the day's hike. I found these will NOT stand up to sliding over fallen trees or when being forced to bushwack around flooding caused by beaver dams (damn beavers). :mad: My pants wound up shredded, my top came out unscathed.
I'm guessing that if I had been wearing Frog Toggs (a similar type of rain gear) the results would have been the same. Oh, well, live and learn.

One question this brought to mind was whether there are similar problem areas on the AT. Just how much bushwacking can one expect to do on an AT thru hike?

baerbelleksa
05-31-2006, 14:16
thanks for all the advice. this newbie really appreciates it.

Shutterbug
05-31-2006, 15:04
Not the only way. A poncho works well for that, also. And can double as shelter.

When I attempted to access the link in your post, my virus software (McAfee) warned that the site attempted to plant a "trojan" on my computer. It is possible that it was a false warning, but McAfee doesn't give many false warnings.

Footslogger
05-31-2006, 15:20
When I attempted to access the link in your post, my virus software (McAfee) warned that the site attempted to plant a "trojan" on my computer. It is possible that it was a false warning, but McAfee doesn't give many false warnings.

===========================================
For what it's worth, I sucked up a pretty malicious virus last Saturday by accessing what should have been a trusted site. Norton saw the virus incoming but didn't innoculate or quarantine it. Turned out it was a new flavor of virus that is tied to "Spyware" and they hadn't developed a definition for it. I ended up having to contact Norton via telephone and pay to have them dial onto my system and clean it up. Fortunately all I lost was some time and some money ...mainly because I noticed it and acted quickly. Could have been a lot worse.

'Slogger

mweinstone
05-31-2006, 17:23
shadow raincoat for men by patagonia and golite reed rain pants.both the lightest strongest money can buy. and much more stuffable and wearable than most.in my opinion.

05-14-2016, 10:58
my experience with my poncho is that on windy days-and i've packed through a lot the wind blows up the bottom and II could not see where i was going on the rocks/boulders in PA

RockDoc
05-14-2016, 12:37
So you ask what's "best" and everyone just says what they use.

What you need is a test kitchen, not a bunch of testimonials.

cmoulder
05-14-2016, 20:14
Wow, a 10-year bump! :D

Connie
05-14-2016, 20:52
The SportHill "Bandon" jacket has good specs: 35 MPH winds, no numbers for rain, but Bandon, OR is wet and wetter.

This rain jacket is said to be quiet in the woods.

I think a long rain kilt, like ZPacks is good, unless you need full coverage. I like rain chaps for that, rather than rain pants. Rain pants are too warm, for me.

OkeefenokeeJoe
05-14-2016, 21:22

I totally agree with you!

The wettest I have ever been in my life was while wearing a set of Frogg Toggs. Water seeped in from every seam, like a cheap Sears & Roebuck tent.

JUNK, in my opinion.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Cheyou
05-15-2016, 10:33
So you ask what's "best" and everyone just says what they use.

What you need is a test kitchen, not a bunch of testimonials.

from my test lab. My 10 day hike in April. Avg 23 miles a day .Temp low 20s° at night , 40s to60s°during the day . Overheated in a rain jacket hiking . In my opinion no rain jacket breathe well. Wind jacket and umbrella worked great at this temp. Rain skirt and wind pants if needed . Rain jacket around camp for setup.

Christoph
05-15-2016, 10:41
I prefer a Frogg Toggs jacket and no pants (not NO pants, I DO wear my regular hiking pants/shorts when hiking :rolleyes: ). I figure legs and feet are gonna get wet anyway eventually. Only thing I don't like about rain gear is I sweat a lot and while it tends to keep out all the rain, it also keeps in all the heat and sweat. But I've had good luck with FT for durability, function, and weight.