PDA

View Full Version : new balances for thru-hike

baerbelleksa
05-22-2006, 21:47
i've got a friend who wore saucony tennis shoes when he did his thru-hike a few years back, so i'm hoping my new balances can get me through - i have several almost new pairs. but i'm thinking about getting me some merrell motivators. any suggestions?

Moxie00
05-22-2006, 21:57
I prefer waterproof leather but if you go light get goretex. The trail is very wet at times and without waterproof footware you will enjoy white wrinkled feet during rainy days and wet sections. The year I thru hiked The Long Trail was the longest river in Vermont.

Whistler
05-22-2006, 23:18
If they already fit, are in good shape, you already own them, and are comfortable hiking in them, just go ahead with the NB shoes. They'll probably treat you fine, just be ready to switch them out if they don't turn out well. No need to invest in a special pair before you start.
-Mark

fiddlehead
05-23-2006, 01:04
Most beginners find that their feet get larger when attempting their first thru. So, make sure you have some room in whatever shoes you use. And remember: FIT is the most important thing in your shoes. Lightweight is 2nd and waterproofing? forget it, you'll get wet feet anyway.

Red Hat
05-29-2006, 11:25
Your feet will get wet, no matter what shoes you wear. Choose the lightest, most comfortable ones. NB served me well for my hikes (750 miles so far)