PDA

View Full Version : Big girls - big problem

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-23-2006, 00:29
I know several of you have large girls. Do any of you have trouble with chafing below the girls? I've started having this problem as I've been hiking more. I've tried switching to different bra types with no success. Any suggestions?

RumpusParable
05-23-2006, 00:45
i'm quite top-heavy (32H) so i know what you mean!!

i use the roll-on Blistershield by 2Toms under & between my breasts, along the band line and any rubbing seam spots and across the nipples. Takes about 10 seconds and boy does that stuff work great, best body/sports lube I've found so far! Love it! With longer times/distances I found that lubes were really the only thing that helped... Even the best fitting bra (and other clothing) would rub when doing long and/or fast hikes.

just google.com Blistershield and it'll come up with the right site first thing.

Heck, I use that stuff all over, wherever I rub. Feets, bum, chest, arms wear straps rub them now and then... I'd definitely suggest getting at least a trial size roll-on of it and giving it a go.

Hope that helps! :)

Fahrenheit
05-23-2006, 00:47
I'm not quite a 32H but I've definately had this problem. Actually for me its been more of a problem running than hiking. I wear Patagonia's capiliene sports bra when I'm hiking and it breaths incredible well. Its not super supportive but you don't need a ton of support when you are just walking. If that didn't work you could always try gold bond. Its works for the guys in their problem areas so it would probably help us too.:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-23-2006, 00:53
Thanks for the tips. Rumpus, PM dixicritter (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=511)(the moderator of this forum) and she will fix the posts.

Claudia
05-23-2006, 00:59
As a 'busty girl' (and getting more so with menopause) I've had the same issue. My solution was very thin and not too suportive bras. They may not lift much but they mash so very little movement. Most sports bras are too thick(heavy) and hold moisture; thin nylon or one layer senthetic can be cooler/dryer, therefore less irratation.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-23-2006, 06:35
I'm post-menopausal and much heavier than I have ever been - both contributed to the larger girls.

That is the one bra option I didn't try - well, that, and letting the girls go cammando). I didn't try cammando because they have drifted south as I've aged and the area underneath the 'southbound puddles' gets very sweaty.

My sports bras are all synthetic and single layer (in black so you can't see thru them). I'll buy a thin nylon bra and give this a try. I also have an underwire bra made by Bestform that is 100% polyester and made like a regular bra. I found it in the sports bras at WalMart. It works as long as I shower every day and wash it out at night, but that isn't going to work on the trail.

Rockjock
05-23-2006, 08:25
Rather large here (38DD) have found that POWDER is the key. That and whenever I get the chance at camp jump in a creek, also go commando once in camp.

YRMV
Rock

journey_bkb
05-23-2006, 11:37
Another product you can try is sportslick. Comes in a small tube like a trial size toothpaste--note, don't mistake the two in the dark!--
Works great on all chafing.

Hana_Hanger
05-23-2006, 14:08
Enjoyed this one...will admit at first it puzzled me about the big girls :D

I would also recommend "Ammen's Original Medicated Powder" I get mine at Wal-Mart...but I am sure most drug stores would carry it also.
I have Diabetes and therefore will break out with yeast infections in a instant when hiking. Especially under the breasts if not careful. This keeps it controlled and pretty dry.

Granola Mamma
06-16-2006, 22:41
Ok, well-blessed here too. I've just been doing OK with a tight fitting underwire to keep them where they belong! BTW, is there a forum for us women who are maybe not t.h's but are doing hiking and are overweight? Would love to chat with some other females in the same situ to learn some of the challenges and solutions as I'm getting started here. I do have one solution for rubbing thighs and chaffing, while we're on the subject of irritations while hiking. I found the most wonderful lycra shorts with control waist band at Target. They are terrific and the only no-roll edges I've ever found and they don't bind but they do a great job of pinching a couple inches around the waist to the thighs AND they get rid of the chaffing problem. I wear the all the time. They help keep cool especially during some AND they cut down on that annoying "bounce" that one may have if they have too much "jello on the back porch", if you know what I mean. Much more comfortable. Not to mention, helps a little with lower back support. They cost all of like $12 and WELL worth buying 3-4 of them! They also go up to size 3x. I like the 2's. Have a nice eve ladies.

Granola Mamma
06-16-2006, 22:42
oops, that should read "during summer", it's late and I'm tired! :)

Hana_Hanger
06-17-2006, 00:07
I found the most wonderful lycra shorts with control waist band at Target. They are terrific and the only no-roll edges I've ever found and they don't bind but they do a great job of pinching a couple inches around the waist to the thighs AND they get rid of the chaffing problem. I wear the all the time. They help keep cool especially during some AND they cut down on that annoying "bounce" that one may have if they have too much "jello on the back porch", if you know what I mean. Much more comfortable. Not to mention, helps a little with lower back support. They cost all of like $12 and WELL worth buying 3-4 of them! They also go up to size 3x. I like the 2's. Have a nice eve ladies.
:welcome Granola Mamma....love that name :D
Darn wish I had a Target on island. Guess I will have to wait till I fly in for my hike to try out a pair of those.

Magic Thumb
06-20-2006, 01:23
I've had chaffing problems more with running than with hiking. But I've been pretty friction free with the Moving Comfort Fiona bra. Big recommendation from me for a good supportive sports bra.

Wonder
06-20-2006, 10:11
Powder, and getting out of the bra once you are in camp. I've made the mistake of leaving it on.......ouch!

Gaiter
11-03-2006, 20:19
bodyglide--- I use it everywhere, for any chaffing on my body and blisters on my feet! I was skeptical at first, but now i don't leave home w/o it.

Swass
11-03-2006, 23:14
Like some other girls on this thread, I have had horrible chafing problems when running but not when hiking. And it is PAINFUL, especially in the shower after. My problem is on the lower areas, like the 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock, if you catch my drift.

Bodyglide works wonders (on feet too) but I'm not sure I would carry it on a thru.

I don't really bother unless I am running more than 10 miles, though.

Brrrb Oregon
11-03-2006, 23:48
I like the bras from Title 9 with lots of "barbells"...no motion. I have some trouble with the thighs, though, so I'm going to have to try some of the lubricants listed.

fiasco
01-14-2007, 18:25
Desitin has worked wonders for me. For chafing in all areas...

WandererKMK
01-14-2007, 23:44
So let me ask you - as a novice hiker, I have always stayed away from my beloved underwires while on the trail - voting to go for the mono boob of the sports bra - but it appears it is possible to find a workable underwire for the trail - how many have used this kind of bra? I am planning on sports or body glide for sure but just want to have the girls as comfy as possible - and that means not swinging and crushed into a single compression sack so to speak. Can I also say how "supportive" it is to know that there are some big chested sistas out there hiking. Being a Dcup on the trail always made me feel odd........

WritinginCT
12-13-2008, 00:31
I'm cursed with a 42DD bust and I swear by my non-underwire Just My Size bras (Style 2446). Lots of support and wide padded shoulder straps and they rinse out and dry very quickly.

As far as chaffing goes - I like the wipes made by Always- you find them near the pads and tampons. They work really well in the peri-area but I really like them for under my breasts and any other body creases where sweat accumulates. They have no alcohol so you don't end up with drying and irritation. Unfortunately you do have to pack them in and pack them out but I think it's worth it not to have raw areas.

karoberts
12-13-2008, 00:56
I am 34D and I carry baby powder at all times. I apply it three times a day in the summer. Then, I apply hydrocortisone cream at night.

boarstone
12-13-2008, 21:14
Try powder, medicated if your skin starts to breakdown and you could use 4x4 gauze pads to pad over powdered area/under where the breast lays. Will absorb instead of chafe. Keeping area DRY is the main objective. You might want to stay away from sport bras for hiking...they smoosh instead of uplift/support, your breasts shouldn't be subjected to the pressure they cause all day long from hiking. Use good support bra, w/o underwire.

d'shadow
12-14-2008, 05:18
:welcome Granola Mamma....love that name :D
Darn wish I had a Target on island. Guess I will have to wait till I fly in for my hike to try out a pair of those.

Shop Target online, order and have them deliver it to your door.
Oh, how I love internet shopping :rolleyes::banana