PDA

View Full Version : past,present, and future thru hikers

Moon Cricket
05-23-2006, 04:12
Moon Cricket Here,

Just looking for a little advice about packing lists that worked and those that didn't. I also am curious about re-supply and the particular P.O. addresses that worked and those that were less than adequate. Is a gps helpful or really not even needed. What is best trail town to make a stop in for a day or so.( ie have a beer or two)

Thanks alot Moon Cricket

RITBlake
05-23-2006, 12:46
You can find all the up to date PO information in the wingfoot and companion guides. They are 99% accurate I would say. Don't bother with the GPS. The trail is very well marked and if you were ever in trouble, a map would probably be more helpful then a gps system. Gadgets like that are usually sent home in the first couple weeks.

As for your third question you will hear a bunch of different answers. There are some awesome places to stop and get a beer. To name a few off the top of my head. Hot Springs,NC Damascus, VA Duncannon, PA, Kent, CT (great pizza) The Long Trail Inn, Vt, Hanover, NH, etc.....

There are many more town stops along the way, but these are most of the classic ones that many have enjoyed.

Programbo
05-23-2006, 20:47
I`d put in my two cents worth but I don`t think your "past" hikers catagory really means 30 years ago...LOL

Moon Cricket
05-24-2006, 16:13
Ritblake, thanks for the info.

MC